Black People : The Gender Behind Our User Names

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by river, Aug 26, 2006.

1. river

river Watch Her Flow MEMBER

United States
    Author
    Ratings:
    +1,290
    From time to time we mistakenly call a brotha a sista or a sista a brotha. Could this be from the usernames we tend to choose?

I have noticed that brothas tend to choose user names that convey strength, intelligence, or some sociopolitical angst while sistas tend to choose user names that are cute or designed to elicit love and desire.

As a result when I see a name like Solar Warrior (hypothetical) immdiately my mind conjures the image of a brotha.Whereas if I see a name like GoldenHoney I think it's a sister.

In other words brothas tend to name themselves according to how they see the world while sistas tend to name themselves according to how the world sees them. Are there exceptions? Of course. But there is enough of a tendancy to bring an automatic response.

Now sistas, if you could choose a name that describes how you think and feel about your world what would you call yourself?

And brothas, if you could choose a name that describes your most prized personal features what would you call yourself?

2. spicybrown

spicybrown Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +118
    I don't think folks give much thought while choosing their username as they register, unless they have the same username on every forum.

I love my username "spicybrown"...it tells of my personality....and of course the lush Brownness:spinstar:.

In the event of a username change...to describe both my world and myself all in one; I'd choose: ENIGMATIC~QUICKDRAW...In my experience; with all the ignorance/hate generating throughout the world, I realized I must stay strapped with knowledge to drop on the ignorant, in my own way. I can't change the world, but I can make an impact:)

3. river

river Watch Her Flow MEMBER

United States
    Author
    Ratings:
    +1,290
    Hey sista Spicey,

^5 Yes you can and you do make an awesome impact

4. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,730
    jamesfrmphilly is neither, it's WYSIWYG

5. Slowly

Slowly Well-Known Member MEMBER

electronic technician
    Ratings:
    +8
    I had log in problems, so the real user name I wanted has got trapped in cyberspace. Slowly is how I drive thru rush hour traffic. Screw that rat race!

6. sweettee29

sweettee29 Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +6
    IF I COULD CHOSE A NAME FOR MYSELF IT WOULD BE "QUEEN OF TRIUMPH"
    BECAUSE I BEING 29 YRS OLD HAVE BEEN THROUGH SOME OF THE UGLIEST EXPERIENCES IN MY LIFE BEGINNING FROM CHILDHOOD TO MOTHERHOOD, I HAVE OVERCOME A CRIMINAL WAY OF LIFE AND MISERABLE MEN AND THROUGH IT ALL I REMAIN A STRONG, WILLFULL, JOVIAL, BEAUTIFUL BLACK QUEEN OF TRIUMPH. I HAVE OVERCOME MY OBSTACLES AND I DO REALIZE THAT THEY ARE NOT OVER WITH YET I AM ARMED AND READY TO TAKE ON ANY CHALLANGE. NOT ONLY WILL I GREET IT HEAD ON I WILL TAKE MY KNOWLEDGE LEARNED FROM PAST EXPERIENCES AND THINK WELL INTO THE FUTURE

SWEETTEE29 , THANK YOU

7. anAfrican

anAfrican Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    The Meek !Shall! Inherit the Earth.
    Ratings:
    +745
    I would have to go with something that screamed out Integrity, Honesty and ActiveBrain.

On second thought; that's what I did! <grin> RA! (Except that I would change the spelling to "anAfrakan".)

8. Akilah

Akilah Well-Known Member MEMBER

Scheduling Coordinator for large Health System
    Ratings:
    +36
    :welldone: I salute you triumphant Queen...God Bless !

9. IfUComeSoftly

IfUComeSoftly Well-Known Member MEMBER

PD for a Non Profit
    Ratings:
    +12
    i chose my name b/c it's my fave poem by the late, great audre lorde. i didn't really think about the name... however... when i first came to destee in 2003 many thought tha ti was a man... and then a little again last year upon my return...

if i had to choose the name sister river... it would be... GoForthNProsper... I say that exact phrase to my children every morning when i walk them into class... or GradualRevolution... b/c that's what i'm trying to do.. gradually change the world for my children and their children's benefit...

10. backtoafrica

backtoafrica Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +1
    My name speaks for itself. I want to go to the motherland but my parents would not allow it no matter how old I am. In case none of you have known yet I am a female.