river

Watch Her Flow
REGISTERED MEMBER
Mar 22, 2004
Where the Niger meets the Nile
Occupation
Author
Greetings,

The web is a wonderful tool for sharing information. There's nothing like it. On the web we can reach people all over the world. But what happens when for whatever reason we can no longer pay the bill? If we write a book people hundreds of years from now can still read it. We can read the writings on pyramids whose authors have been dead thousands of years. But on the web if you can't pay the bill you are out of luck. There's no gaurantee that these free social networks will always house our stuff for free. Even cemeteries are beginning to question if we can stay buried forever.

what does this mean for the recordings of brotha Oldsoul's classes? God forbid that they should be lost. So what I've done is gather all the classes from September 2007 when I begain recording them to 2010 divided them into folders by topic and zipped each folder for easier download. This way you can spread them out and pass them on so they will exist all over the place.

Each topic is in it's own folder and comes with a webpage with links and a rich text file.. Hope you will all take advantage of this and download these classes so what our brotha has done will carry on. Who knows one day these classes might become vintage collections.

http://overstandinguniversity.com/zipped/

oh very good!!! bravo!! :number1:

how big are the zip files? how large is the total collection? wonder if the collection will get so big as to make torrenting usefule/feasible? ... which will be much more useful once a few copies are stashed by folks, eh? <grin> }hint, hint{

oh very good!!! bravo!! :number1:

how big are the zip files? how large is the total collection? wonder if the collection will get so big as to make torrenting usefule/feasible? ... which will be much more useful once a few copies are stashed by folks, eh? <grin> }hint, hint{

I'm not sure what you're talking about. brotha anAfrican

(nb: long post, see bottom for truncated point) Sister, what Brother anAfrican is referring to is a method of filesharing, called 'torrents' or 'bit-torrents'.

In essence, it can be explained thusly:

You have a file on your pc, let's call it Lecture A. You want to share Lecture A with everyone.

You go to a site (thepiratebay, btjunkie or demonoid etc etc) and upload another file there, let's call the file...a 'map'. The 'map' you upload, will be available for anyone with an internet connection to download. Once this 'map' is downloaded, it can be opened on say, my pc (all the way over in Norway) and it will tell my pc where it can get Lecture A from.

In order for me to get Lecture A from you (this is called leeching), you must keep the file available thru a program that keeps the file available (this is called seeding, and the program that enables this is called a bittorent client).

When I have downloaded Lecture A, yet another person might come along to get it and he/she now can get it from TWO people instead of just the original uploader. This lessens the strain on your internet connection, and also makes it easier for the other person to get (maybe you are offline, but I am on!).

So, then, torrents only function if people are willing to seed (stay online with the file available) after downloading them. If everyone deletes the file (like Lecture A) after downloading/using/watching it, then no one will be able to get it because no one has it anymore. As the bit-torrent community likes to say: sharing is caring (lol).

That was a bit long, hope it made sense fam.

One,

- Ikoro

p.s: What anAfrikan was thinking was, if the file was a bit big maybe it would be worth turning into a torrent so that everyone can download the zip file and keep it online by seeding. This way it might be easier to get a hold of :)

(nb: long post, see bottom for truncated point) Sister, what Brother anAfrican is referring to is a method of filesharing, called 'torrents' or 'bit-torrents'.

In essence, it can be explained thusly:

You have a file on your pc, let's call it Lecture A. You want to share Lecture A with everyone.

You go to a site (thepiratebay, btjunkie or demonoid etc etc) and upload another file there, let's call the file...a 'map'. The 'map' you upload, will be available for anyone with an internet connection to download. Once this 'map' is downloaded, it can be opened on say, my pc (all the way over in Norway) and it will tell my pc where it can get Lecture A from.

In order for me to get Lecture A from you (this is called leeching), you must keep the file available thru a program that keeps the file available (this is called seeding, and the program that enables this is called a bittorent client).

When I have downloaded Lecture A, yet another person might come along to get it and he/she now can get it from TWO people instead of just the original uploader. This lessens the strain on your internet connection, and also makes it easier for the other person to get (maybe you are offline, but I am on!).

So, then, torrents only function if people are willing to seed (stay online with the file available) after downloading them. If everyone deletes the file (like Lecture A) after downloading/using/watching it, then no one will be able to get it because no one has it anymore. As the bit-torrent community likes to say: sharing is caring (lol).

That was a bit long, hope it made sense fam.

One,

- Ikoro

p.s: What anAfrikan was thinking was, if the file was a bit big maybe it would be worth turning into a torrent so that everyone can download the zip file and keep it online by seeding. This way it might be easier to get a hold of :)
I have to find out more about it. I don't really like the idea of strange folks downloading and uploading stuff from my computer. Sounds like Hackers Heaven. But I will read up on it before I judge.

Right now the zip files are on a shared server so there is no access to my personal computer at all.

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back