Black People : The Future of the Consciousness Raising Recordings

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by river, Mar 4, 2011.

1. river

river Watch Her Flow MEMBER

United States
    Author
    Ratings:
    +1,290
    Greetings,

The web is a wonderful tool for sharing information. There's nothing like it. On the web we can reach people all over the world. But what happens when for whatever reason we can no longer pay the bill? If we write a book people hundreds of years from now can still read it. We can read the writings on pyramids whose authors have been dead thousands of years. But on the web if you can't pay the bill you are out of luck. There's no gaurantee that these free social networks will always house our stuff for free. Even cemeteries are beginning to question if we can stay buried forever.

what does this mean for the recordings of brotha Oldsoul's classes? God forbid that they should be lost. So what I've done is gather all the classes from September 2007 when I begain recording them to 2010 divided them into folders by topic and zipped each folder for easier download. This way you can spread them out and pass them on so they will exist all over the place.

Each topic is in it's own folder and comes with a webpage with links and a rich text file.. Hope you will all take advantage of this and download these classes so what our brotha has done will carry on. Who knows one day these classes might become vintage collections.

http://overstandinguniversity.com/zipped/

2. anAfrican

anAfrican Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    The Meek !Shall! Inherit the Earth.
    Ratings:
    +745
    oh very good!!! bravo!! :number1:

how big are the zip files? how large is the total collection? wonder if the collection will get so big as to make torrenting usefule/feasible? ... which will be much more useful once a few copies are stashed by folks, eh? <grin> }hint, hint{

3. river

United States
    Author
    Ratings:
    +1,290
    I'm not sure what you're talking about. brotha anAfrican

4. Ikoro

Ikoro Well-Known Member MEMBER

Norway
    Ratings:
    +320
    (nb: long post, see bottom for truncated point) Sister, what Brother anAfrican is referring to is a method of filesharing, called 'torrents' or 'bit-torrents'.

In essence, it can be explained thusly:

You have a file on your pc, let's call it Lecture A. You want to share Lecture A with everyone.

You go to a site (thepiratebay, btjunkie or demonoid etc etc) and upload another file there, let's call the file...a 'map'. The 'map' you upload, will be available for anyone with an internet connection to download. Once this 'map' is downloaded, it can be opened on say, my pc (all the way over in Norway) and it will tell my pc where it can get Lecture A from.

In order for me to get Lecture A from you (this is called leeching), you must keep the file available thru a program that keeps the file available (this is called seeding, and the program that enables this is called a bittorent client).

When I have downloaded Lecture A, yet another person might come along to get it and he/she now can get it from TWO people instead of just the original uploader. This lessens the strain on your internet connection, and also makes it easier for the other person to get (maybe you are offline, but I am on!).

So, then, torrents only function if people are willing to seed (stay online with the file available) after downloading them. If everyone deletes the file (like Lecture A) after downloading/using/watching it, then no one will be able to get it because no one has it anymore. As the bit-torrent community likes to say: sharing is caring (lol).

That was a bit long, hope it made sense fam.

One,

- Ikoro

p.s: What anAfrikan was thinking was, if the file was a bit big maybe it would be worth turning into a torrent so that everyone can download the zip file and keep it online by seeding. This way it might be easier to get a hold of :)

5. river

United States
    Author
    Ratings:
    +1,290
    I have to find out more about it. I don't really like the idea of strange folks downloading and uploading stuff from my computer. Sounds like Hackers Heaven. But I will read up on it before I judge.

Right now the zip files are on a shared server so there is no access to my personal computer at all.

6. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,680
    Sister River ... you're so sweet ... :love:

This is a great topic and concern for anyone who has a web site, and money is tight, for you virtually lose everything when the money dries up.

It's good that you are seeking some alternatives before that happens ... good good good looking out.

Now ... we struggle to stay alive here too, but we've been blessed every single day for 13+ years to remain open, and i'm hoping that trend will continue ... :D

I'm gonna create a space here for us to host our Brother OldSoul's files ... absolutely ... in conjuction with your site too.

Let me see the best way to go about it ... and i'll get back to you.

As long as we're blessed ... and you're blessed ... to remain up ... so too will our Brother OldSoul's Recordings!

Love You!

:heart:

Destee

7. river

United States
    Author
    Ratings:
    +1,290
    That's a wonderful idea, sista Destee,

And I hope lots of folks will take advantage of these files.Thee can never be too much distribution.

8. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,680
    Peace and Blessings Sister River and Family,

We now have our own Black People Videos Podcasts Site ... destee.tv ... YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY USSSSSSS !!!! :toast: :toast: :toast:

I've been diligently working on this, since Sister River posted this thread ... The Future of the Consciousness Raising Recordings.

I am so grateful to Sister River and Brother OldSoul, for putting in so much work, time, money, to help maintain this very big piece of destee.com history, and i shuddered in my Spirit, at the thought of our losing such a great blessing. While I can't promise that we will be here forever, I will promise to do my best to keep our home intact, as I always have.

Sister River's Hard Work : http://overstandinguniversity.com/classes.html

Sister River has done a great work keeping all of these files available to whoever wanted to hear them, at her own cost. That's a lot. One lone Sister, with great challenges of her own, sacrificed much to do this. I am so honored. Honored to know such a person! Thank You Sister River. I hope this additional means of distribution will ease your heart's concern, regarding the continued access to these wonderful lessons Brother OldSoul has brought us.

Sister River ... I still haven't figured out a way to easily upload the hundreds of audio files you have, but I wanted to go ahead and announce this to the Family. We can all begin to upload things, play around with the features, and see if it can handle the stress and load of us! :)

It's been suggested that we have relevant categories in place, but I'm not sure what they should be, and don't want that to keep me from announcing this great blessing! :D ... any suggestions in this area would be appreciated. In fact, any suggestions at all, for i have never been here before ... and am open to all wisdom, suggestions, hopes, and prayers.

As with all things here, we really have to feel our way on this. I cannot afford for us to be "YouTube", yet I want a place for our own videos and podcasts. I'm thinking that it will take much more than we have to give, to provide this service to any and every one in the world ... but for now ... it is open to all. Again, this may not last long.

All uploads and comments are moderated, and of course, everything must live up to our higher standards, or it will not be published.

I am thinking of having a category that allows cursing, and it would be marked accordingly, but I'm just not sure of that right now. I know we allow videos that have cursing in them, to be posted on destee.com, but I don't know if I actually want to support it to this degree ... if it is contrary to our Core Principles ... not best for our children ... a few things to consider, and i'm a bit torn on this one ... we can talk about it Family. You all could certainly sway me on this one, but for now, videos and podcasts that include swearing, nudity, or anything we deem innappropriate, will not be published on destee.tv.

Because all uploads ... videos and podcasts ... must be moderated, publishing will not be immediate. I am not sure what kind of activity we will see, and depending on this, it may take us a bit longer to get to your upload. Please be patient, don't give up on us and remember, it took us 4 years to get this far ... but we got here! :)

REGARDING UPLOADS ... you can include videos from other sites, youtube, etc., or you can upload your file to the server. Your choice. If you upload to our server, it must be your own property ... your own words, images, music, etc. That means you own it all, and have copyright privilege to it. If we have any questions or doubts regarding copyright, your upload will not be published.

I may be biting off more than I can chew, but we're finna try it out ... :D

Sister River ... I will continue trying to come up with an easy way for us to get all of Brother OldSoul's audios loaded, but in the meantime, have fun with this! :)

If you all have any problems, please let me know, as it is a work in progress ... so anticipate some changes as we go along.

Expect to hear more from me, as i learn it ... :D ... YAAAAAAAAAAAAAY USSSSS !!! ... :toast: :toast: :toast:

I Love and Thank You All !!! :grouphug:

:heart:

Destee