Black Spirituality Religion : The Fundamental Problem of Religion w/o Cultural or Historical Understanding

Discussion in 'Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion' started by Blackbird, Sep 22, 2010.

1. Blackbird

Blackbird Well-Known Member MEMBER

Professional Hitman
    Ratings:
    +1,820
    Recently, after almost 5 years of trying to get my father to come out to Vegas to visit me, my dad came to see his grandkids and son. While here, we treated him with the red carpet treatment and I am confident that he appreciated everything. After staying a week, I drove him to the airport this past Monday morning for the flight back to Louisiana. During the drive, my dad and I became embroiled in an increasing contested discussion.

It started out innocuous - beginning with a talk about my 1 month old daughter's seemingly voracious appetite. My wife has breastfed all of our kids and this latest addition to our family is no exception. You can say we are veterans to breastfeeding children - well at least my wife is.

My dad commented that my daughter loves to eat and I replied that breastmilk goes through a baby's system relatively fast. It breaks down easily, resulting in frequent bowels and steady feeding at a rate of every couple of hours. I told my dad that I find it funny that people complain about money but when they have kids many I know would cough up the $ to purchase formula (Infamil or Similac). Not to mention the inconvenience of late night runs to heat and prepare a bottle of formula. I told my dad that it's been proven that even a crack addict's breastmilk is better for a developing baby than the mass produced formulas.

I noted that it's funny that we feed our babies fake milk (formula) and we as grown folks drink cow's milk. When was the last time, you saw a full grown cow drinking milk for a lactating heifer or any other adult animal drinking milk. Milk was meant as nutrition for the young, but it seems like we have it backwards. My dad said that nothing was wrong with drinking cow's milk and that it was healthy for all to do - even babies. I told him cow's milk was meant for calves - not people. He told me that cow's milk was natural and that it was a provision God gave to people as nourishment. He told me people have strayed away from natural things and that is why we are dying from diseases and not living as long as the people back in the day. I said people died from the same diseases back then too, but they just didn't what the diseases were back then.

My dad immediately brought up the famed longevity of the folks in the Bible and that they drunk milk. I told him how can you explain that the oldest surviving human society of earth, in terms of genetics, do not drink milk and how can you explain that more than 80% of people of African ancestry are lactose intolerant. He said because they didn't have alot of cows. The conversation continued along these lines until my dad told me that the original people were not Black but Brown. He said we all came from Brown people, we all came from Asians. This was what he had been taught through his studies of Biblical history at a seminary. Wow!!!!!

Blackbird

2. Blackbird

Blackbird Well-Known Member MEMBER

Professional Hitman
    Ratings:
    +1,820
    To further what I started, I would like to reflect back on something I read from the late Oba Efuntola Oseijeman Adelabu Adefunmi I. He wrote and I'm paraphrasing big time, "Imagine a native on the Amazon River, embedded in a pristine environment that has fed and sustained many generations of his family since any can remember. Imagine a white Christian missionary comes to him and begins proselytizing - telling this Amazonian native that the holiest river in the world is the Jordan River because Jesus was baptized there and so and so. Imagine the total disregard of the fact the Amazon River is what essentially has given this native life by being all to his ancestors. This missionary tells the native he needs to turn east every morning and pray towards the Jordan River - a place this native man has never been and never go."

3. skuderjaymes

skuderjaymes Contextualizer Synthesizer MEMBER

Japan
    independent thoughtist thinker, context linker
    theory to application to discussion to percussion
    Ratings:
    +6,043
    hey, the last thing old folks want to here is that they have been living with
    wrong information for most of their lives.. he had to defend his life.. but
    in a few months he may be using what he learned from you on his friends..
    folks usually reach for religion when they have nothing else.. I usually take
    that as an act of desperation and back off.. change the subject..

4. RAPTOR

RAPTOR Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +4,097
    Sound advice.

This conversation reminds me of a talk I had with a relative of mine who is
    a minister, many moons ago. We had somehow got on the subject of slavery
    and she stated something like seeing slavery in the long run, as a blessing
    from 'god'. That because of that experience "we've" received the "word of christ".
    It tripped me out smooth out......lol....... I'm looking at her sideways.
    I didn't make much of it though. My only response to that was that I totally disagree,
    asking this question in my head: 'Has she ever read anything regarding afrika from
    a cultural perspective? Anything?'

Out of love, I just smiled and let it go...

To go off what Blackbird had stated about history being taught
    in these bible classes, I have discovered a number of black folks
    learning pre-transatlantic afrikan history that way. In the church.

Which reminds me:

I was listening to ray hagins online and he stated that on one of his trips to
    kemet, how this lady in his tour group, just shortly after arriving their like
    the following day or two later, jump on the next bird smokin' back to the states.

He stated that when she went to see those pyramids and saw those reliefs then
    was told how old they were (which was the last straw), she couldn't accept
    anything, or any people, older than adam and eve. For her, it was over
    overwhelming, I suppose. For her, nothing was/is older than 6k years.

But like skuderjaymes said, "last thing old folks want to here is that they have been
    living with wrong information for most of their lives.." However, I would venture to say
    it is not just the "old" folks who come off like that.

5. Ugonna

Ugonna Active Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +11
    this is the reason why i hate most religons.. its sad how they cage and absorb peoples minds. living in error most of your life, and upon that being extremely ignorent or repulsed to any knowledge beyond wat u already assume. its sad indeed. sometimes i figured it just best to keep ur mouth shut..

this reminds me of a time, I was at my fathers store and a man walked in. I notice a badge he had on him saying sumthin about spiritual cultivation. intrigued by it I asked him "whats dat about" . he then replied are u ready to accept to jesus christ? .. i was totally disapointed.. i asked him "wat do u kno about this" *showed him the anhk i was wearing" he said nothing.. i said it means eternal life and its a great symbol of your heritage.. he then said "i see u been reading a lot of books" and i replied " yes, i see u been reading only one" .. from dere he left with dat *your goin to hell face* and i just couldnt help but feel sorry for him :10500:

*sighhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh*

6. info-moetry

info-moetry STAFF STAFF

United States
    A+ technician
    Ratings:
    +6,486
    peace

No doubt, if i only had a dime for every time i was in that exact same situation i would have enough $$ to pay admission to be allowed into church...

7. ru2religious

ru2religious Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,891
    lol -

Priceless response!!!

Peace

Ru2religious

8. medusanegrita

medusanegrita Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +565
    I'm sorry, but wuut? What does breastmilk got to do with religion? This ain't a religion thang, but a general thang of stupid people. Not to call you dad stupid, but he sho is ignorant on this subject. I know parts of the bible, and I know they drank wine and water. Some dude, think it was jesus or john or somebody came upon this chick gathering watering at a well. I think she was poor and really couldn't afford to be giving out her master's water lest she get in trouble. But she didn't think nothin of it... gave it to the man who asked for it... an somehow she was blessed. I forget how she was blessed, but she was.

I don't know or heard of too many stories where the milk was given to sustain a people. Maybe some hennessy and brandy.... but not milk.

Now I done breastfed some chillin too. Matter of fact, I started because folks kept tellin me WIC didn't stretch enough to feed them babies for a month, and I'll be darn if I was usin my welfare check to buy that stuff. It was (still is) expensive. So I gaves 'em the tiddy milk, and the rest is her-stor-ree.

Now my family kinda like yo daddy. "Why you wanna give them kids tiddy milk? When yo momma had you, PET milk work jus fine!'

"They don't need tiddy milk past 2 months. Take a little green juice (juice from greens and smoked neckbones or hog maws or whatever we used to season 'em wit), scrunch up a lil conebread (corn bread) and them kids be jus fine! That what make'em strong!'

"You spoilin that darn baby! Er'time they cry, you run and give 'em a tiddy!"

Folks ain't comfortable with tiddies being used for what they were supposed to be used for, just for sex and sexuality. It's makes 'em uncomfortable, so they come up with ever 'scuse in the book for a woman not to take her tiddy out and feed a baby. Plus there's the negative connotation of the wet nurse, so breastfeeding during the history of slavery has no positive attached to it.

Don't matter to me, do whatever you feel like doing. Sometimes you can educate people, but if they stuck on stupid, leave 'em be and do yo thang.

And us being descended for asians from and brown folks? :SuN049:
    Sounds like a little self-hatred going on and an acute dislike for blackness.