Black History Culture : THE FOUNDATIONS OF AFRICAN PHILOSOPHY

Discussion in 'Black History - Culture - Panafricanism' started by Isaiah, Aug 27, 2004.

1. Isaiah

Isaiah Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +62
    http://www.lhup.edu/library/InternationalReview/african_phil.htm

Yes, philosophy is inherent in all culture, and here the author seeks to explain philosophy and value system that gives African culture its foundation. I will present other information on this subject in the future... Read, retain, absorb, and enjoy...

Peace!
    Isaiah

2. NNQueen

NNQueen going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,863
    This is a very interesting article that requires time to absorb. Very interesting distinctions point out to explain the differences between the way Africans think and Europeans think.

Queenie :spinstar:

3. Isaiah

Isaiah Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +62
    Yes, Queenie, I am glad that someone took the time to read the piece... I should've known it would be you(smile!) This goes to Destee's desire to know what has been stolen, and what we can begin the process of reclaiming... Also, I have often heard it said that we are a bunch of Europeans in Black Skin, and I think a lot of that is so untrue... Firstly, how can we know this without first having knowledge of our culture... Where is our ability to contrast what is European with African, if all we know is what we believe is theirs... In many instances, what is ours has been re-presented as theirs...

Once we begin the process of determining how it is that an African THINKS, we can understand how and why, WHAT is he CREATES... I have been told by some European Americans that they were instrumental in creating what is known as SOUL MUSIC... They think that all of that out-of-tune stuff that was played at STAX RECORDS is what RAY CHARLES was thinking when he coined that phrase... Clearly, African Americans use the word SOUL in a lotta different contexts, such as soul food, or speaking and singing and worshipping, or dancing, or playing ball, with a whole lotta SOUL... Europeans have no such conception of themselves, therefore, they could never have been instrumental in coming up with the concept...(smile!) Not only that, even country music, widely considered white man's music, is our throw-away, something we laughed at when out of earshot of the Europeans, who were always contracting African American musicians to play at their little square dances down south... If it's white man's music, why contract these brothers to play it for ya???(smile!) Aint no white hillbillies to play that stuff as many hillbillies as there was back then???

Sorry for the digression, but the point is WHEN we CAN begin to understand those tenets of the AFRICAN WORLD VIEW, our philosophy as a people from times immemorial, we can truly understand ourselves, and the things we do... It aint really that deep an intellectual thing, really... No one should be put off by a word... HipHop is Black Philosophy to a great extent, and that's not a great intellectual thing, it just is...

The philosophy of the Black Cool, or the things that make African people think of a thing as being COOL, our language, our style of dress, the way we make music and dance to it, is undergirded by a particular philiosophy we have about life, our Black Lives... It is what our ancestors bequethed to us, the hip, the fly, the swingin', the Black groove, the rhythm of life right on down to the modern times... When children are made aware of things like this, they can hold their heads higher, knowing that what they do comes from a very long cultural legacy... HipHop, like every genre of music before it, was made possible through the auspices of African and African American Culture... Same with all of the New World African musics, Reggae, Salsa, Samba, Kompas, Calypso, Jazz, and Da Blues...

Peace!
    Isaiah

4. bienamor

bienamor Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +1
    Difference?

Agree that this is a cultural difference between African/Western culture, but is almost the same as expresssed by the American Indian tribes. Not really a lot of difference in the way they viewed the universe, time etc.