Pan Africanism : The Foundations of A Pan-African Nation

Discussion in 'Black History - Culture - Panafricanism' started by militant, Jun 22, 2005.

1. militant

militant Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +3
    The creation of a Pan-African state, uniting all africans globally is a worthy ambition whose detailed workings remains poorly sketched out. One of the key elements to be considered is a winning strategy for the creation of a unified african nation. In my view, there are two possible methods of unifying the global africa nation. One is a pluralistic system, in which all african nations hold equal say in the creation of such a system. There is no existing model from which one can ascertain the potential of thsi method. Case in point, the European Union is far from having all members being equal. A method which is closer to the european union is to have a pioneer nation which serves to unite the other african communities in a federal state. Three possible candidates for pioneer come to mind, the African American community, Nigeria, and South Africa. The discussion of the pros and cons of each of these candidates, is the subject of this article.

The African American Community: Personally, I hold a bias, in that I find the african american community to be the most plausible pioneer nation. Their history parrallels that of Joseph, who was sold into slavery by his brothers. Could it be poetic, that they become the saviors of the entire black race, just like Joseph ended up saving his brethen? The African American Community is uniquely placed for this task. They are the tenth richest nation on this planet, if taken as a Nation. A worth that is greater than all african nations combined. Such wealth could be the source of investments for the high yield african ventures. Alas, africa has found a friendly investor. However, one thing that continues to shadow their potential as a pioneer nation is that they do not speak under strong one pan-africanist voice. A voice to speak to those in the wilderness, and guide them back home. Gone are the days of greats like Malcolm X and Marcus Garvey. What we have today are franchises of Black leadership, each preaching different brands of black power, none with the power to usher the much needed internal revolution to take the african american community to what seems to be their righful place in the history of the Global African Nation.

Nigeria: Many consider this nation to be perhaps the most plausible of all candidate pioneers. 1 in every 5 negroes in the world is a Nigerian. 1 in every 4 negroes in africa is Nigerian. And as if she was conscious of her potential as a pioneer nation, Nigeria has always made gestures which Ali Mazrui, author of "the Africans" will call attempts at a "Pax Nigeriana". An example is that a one time president of nigeria, Yakubu Gowon, on behalf of Nigeria once offered to pay the salaries of civil servants of west indies nations. this was ofcourse, back in the days when Nigeria had not sunk into its mountain of Sinister Foreign debt. Proponents of the Pax Nigeriana, examples which include Bolaji Akinyemi, General Malu,(both Nigerians) and E.Kodjo of Ivory coast have always maintained that Nigeria role in African affairs ranging from Liberia, to the help in the Liberation of South africa from apartheid, is motive enough to give Nigeria the rights to the role of a Pioneer Nation. Bolaji Akinyemi and E.Kodjo, maintains that what is needed is a strong Nigeria, which "annexes" other black nations under a federalist structure. However, what holds Nigeria back is its need to get back into the road of economic prosperity (though by irony it holds most of Africa's Oil deposits), and a strong Central government. The strong central government is currently being frustrated by attempts by some sections in Nigeria to create a more federal nation. Its dominance in african affairs is also frowned upon by certain african countries.

South Africa: In 1990s, the last hold of white political control over africa was loosened with the fall of apartheid. A new nation was born. This nation, Ibelieve to be a candidate pioneer by debt. In that, given the role of african nations in its deliverance, it had an obligation to play in the Global African Nation. It also has the means to do so. It inherits from the white nation, some of the best infrastructures in africa. It also inherits a good economy with a per capita probably second to Bostwana and Algeria. Its unique history and its peaceful transisiton to democracy is also considered good assets. It also has strong Black Consciousness, given its long history of oppression. However, there are many cons to its role as Pioneer Nation. Firstly, it is viewed by many as a new comer, with consistent foreign policy history towards africa. So much so, that African nations are tending towards Egypt and Nigeria as the two Candidates for the UN Security Council Permanent seats to africa. Morevover, South africa is gaining notoriety in Africa as being hostile to black foreigners, because the Locals believe they come to steal their opportunities. Also, though south africa's wealth is significant enough when considered in the context of africa, it remains largely in the hands of whites who reportedly own more than 90% of the companies listed on the Johannesburg Stock Exchange. Thabo Mbeki, a dedicated african nationalist, is faced with the daunting task of empowering the africans in that country. his efforts so far are commendable.

Note:
    1)I did not bother to deal with Egypt because modern day Egypt aligns more with the Arab nations that with Africa. Its been infiltrated by Arabs who have displaced the original true Egyptians. Modern Egypt is more interested in Arab politics, and only choses to deal with Africa when it is in its interest.
    2)No African nation owns nuclear weapons. This means, any attempts at being a pioneer nation is open to bullying by European Nations. How do you approach the hostile world naked?
    3)I welcome all comments.

2. anAfrican

anAfrican Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    The Meek !Shall! Inherit the Earth.
    Ratings:
    +745
    Thank YOU! Now that is a statement from which to make beginnings!

In your opinion, where might British Africa fit in this scheme? Or would British Africa be seen to be, in some fashion, a part of NorthAmerican Africa?

But, YES! Wonderful thoughts! Hopefully we can grow this thread!

<g> I think that I would agree with your assessment: indeed, "franchises" does seem to be a most fitting concept for what is going on here.

For things like this, it is good to have fresh eyes looking at the picture. If you would, could you give some thought toward a "listing" of what/where those franchises might be? From such a viewpoint, I think a possibly clearer picture might emerge? (Oh, dear; off hand i'm seeing (not to reflect any ordering/hierarchy/value, nor does this reflect my feelings toward their relative "values" in this regard) SCLC, NAACP, NOI?, ... and then there's the jocks, entertainers, we don't have much of a corporate showing ... but maybe i'm not looking at it right?)

Thanks, militant! Don't run off now! LOL BTW, Welcome to the Family!

3. militant

Ratings:
    +3
    Oh thanks. Loving the site so far. :)

4. panafrica

panafrica Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +194
    This is well thought out, I'm anxious to hear more!

5. anAfrican

United States
    Ratings:
    +745
    Beggijn you pardon, Pan; I think that we'll "hear more" when we bring more?

I guess, then, a comparative analysis of the philosophies of Malcolm and Marcus vs the current crop of "franchisees"?

(I, personally, would just love to bring in members of the other two suggested "pioneer nations", if only for broadening discussion. I would hope that such a thought would not lead to squabbling, but to an open-minded discussion. I think, tho, that such could only happen if we were to look at it as a purely theoretical discussion.)

6. militant

Ratings:
    +3
    Absolutely. What is needed is an open discussion about this. It will rely on members debating the pros and cons of each of the three. knowing my fellow africans, good luck on having an open discussion. But i will happily retire to posting facts on this thread to either dispute or confirm any statement made by anyone.
    Another factor is possible collaboration between at least two of the three "pioneers" I listed above.

With regard to the franchisees, they a theater to watch, though many times they have taken very steps in fighting for the interests of the black nation. What is needed is an articulated goal which states that "by year 2015, i will like the african american community to achieve these set of goals,". They can then draw upon the abundance of intellectual capital present within the african american community to achieve the goal. what intellectual capital can we say is lacking? Was the first black Nobel Prize winner in Economics not African American? What we have is reactionary leaders, who react to what news hit the mainstream media.

7. anAfrican

United States
    Ratings:
    +745
    a) While possibly valid; it's not "luck" that is needed - it's you and me continuing to knock our heads against this wall ... or knocking this wall against our heads? <g> ("anAfrican-Militant Production"? or something? <big, evil, grin> the two names just seem sorta "intriguing" together like that. i am not saying, nor will i condone, this being a two member project!!)
    b) And there ain't no retiring before the danged thing even gets started!! puh-lease

OK. Lets get started figuring out some goals. I guess a ten year plan would prolly make sense as it will prolly take 3 to 5 of them just to convene any sort of group to start considerations of any sort? In this first ten years, would an expectation of "completing" anything actually be realistic? I don't think that this is a project that would be "complete" in less than 30 to 50 years ... or even longer.

"by the year 2015, i would like the community to have agreed on a single identity/tag for our nation."

"by the year 2015, I would like the [just local?] community to have developed a platform/table to begin concrete articulation of the problem(s) we are seeking to address."

Aye, time for some pro-activity!

8. militant

Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks to your talents in the art of persuation, i will now take an active role in this thread.
    Let us chose one of the three pioneers, and see how we could evision it aiding in building a great global black people.
    for example, what goals will you will put forth to make one of them e.g the african american community, nigerian or south african, to
    1) Rise to the level of greater achievements
    2) To use its new found higher levels of success to uplift the rest of the black nation.

and how would you go about achieveing these goals?

9. anAfrican

United States
    Ratings:
    +745
    (almost feels weird bouncing between this thread and that other one.)

I don't know; it almost feels that this might be a bit of a larger first step? Might we consider, at first, a bit of "baby stepping"? Lets not consider how to go about achieving those goals until we have some ideas on what sorts of goals we "need". Are these goals mentioned here to be something other than the previously suggested "by 2015 ..." goal setting notion?

Firstly; I think I'm choosing the NorthAmerican African community by "de fault of being here". It might not be the best choice, but this is where I am, this is the crew I (think I) am most familiar with.

"Goals put forth to" "Rise to the level of greater achievments". (Oh, is this to be my project?) What goals do you think would help here? What ideas do other members of the family think might help here?

ok, i'll try:
    turn off the tv.
    consider hard sciences.
    turn to each other for services.
    once a month, have "working block parties" wherein local folks help each other out with projects around the house and neighborhood.

maybe this way, that sense of community could regrow enough that we could begin to collectively see what our current skill sets (other than jock schlock/shuckin and jivin!) and aspirations are such that we could see what our current achievments are so that we'd have some idea as to where they could be greater?

Even better, developing a list of our current achievments/capabilities would give us something positive to see/feel in/about ourselves?

10. militant

Ratings:
    +3
    True. But if we create large enough goals, and set our minds to it, who knows what can happen.

My natural first choice too. Nothing wrong about that.

Maybe I didnt express myself better. i shouldhave stated it a Goals for complete self-dependence. If I am correct, the african american has become a primary consumer economy as opposed to the first half of the twentieth century, when there was black owned banks, insurance companies, e.t.c. Someone please correct me about this.

LOL...that is so true, in that t.v is also a source of brain washing black people about there self-worth.

Thats another great point. These asian nations are moving foward in terms of infotech and biotech. We need to jump on that wave and leave a big mark before its too late. Besides, we have a black market of 800 million for these products. Attempts at marketing Genetically modified foods to African Nations have been done predominantly by European countries.

Comes back to the statement of no prominent black owned bank, or insurance companies or the like. I think it can be done.

Secret block meetings are one of the ways in which white nationalists meet to discuss there issues. None of us are fans of their group but we must take note of how effective meetings has been in creating this almost borg like mentality seen in many white nationalists.

Absolutley. And we can identify which skill sets can be employed to achieve common goals.

I am on that. I will compile a list of developments so far, and post something soon. This list can also serve to see which academics/politicians/businesss people one can include in a think tank that will help achieve the goals we as a nation set for ourselves.