Black Relationships : The Female Fallacy of Being *THICK*

Discussion in 'Black Relationships' started by ShemsiEnTehuti, Oct 20, 2006.

1. ShemsiEnTehuti

ShemsiEnTehuti Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +32
    Ok Sisters...not taking shots at you, but too often I hear you call yourselves "thick" when in actuality you are a bit overweight. Now, a lot of brothers like sisters with extra pounds, but let's be real here.

To be Thick: means you are not skinny or slim, but have more meat on your bones than these smaller women. "Meat on the bones" is not to be confused with the fat around the meat. "Thickness" ultimately is more meat on the bones without too much excessive fat, where the lean body contour (and perhaps muscle) definition is still reasonably seen. ​

Being "thick" also does not intrinsically mean you have curves or "shape", because untold numbers of slim African women have derrieres and hips just large & wide as some so called "thick women". I guess the reason for my rant is because I have met too many sisters who I talked to prior telling me that they were "thick", when in actuality they were more than a few pounds over-weight. This happened rather recently again, which is why I am writing this now.

Anyhow, I know Black women have different body types and all that, but we need to start being honest. It will save brothers a lot of disappointment.

***Have any of the sisters here told a brother they were thick, to avoid saying they were a little overweight?...be honest.***

2. PoeticManifesta

PoeticManifesta Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Local Insurance Agent
    Ratings:
    +47
    we've concluded that to be thick.. its defined .. "different strokes to different folks"
    .. most blk women are overweight in the terms of the euro vision of health and beauty... so thats no big conclusion there..

however..
    thick is defined as being proportionate.... a little pudge but no bags feel me?

Id be the first to tell somebody that there is a boundary on thik and fat....
    when you can place a 12 inch ruler between the back pockets of your jeans.. your not thick.. you need a diet.

When you look down.. and cant see you coochie coo without darn near hurting yrself... you not thick .. you also need a diet...

Ladies dont label yourself as anything but beautiful.. because blk is beautiful... end of story.. no room for arguement there.:blowkiss:

3. philomath

philomath Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +1
    did it ever occur to you that brothers are the one calling these women thick to get with them?

how many times has a man talked about how thick his girl was and when you see her she is large?

so black men's perception of thick is just as skewed as women's

also some black men could do with losing weight as well, spread that word

4. Omowale Jabali

Omowale Jabali The Cosmic Journeyman PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Creative Industrialist
    Ratings:
    +9,587

Yeah, some black men, including myself, can stand losing some weight.

So could most people in amerika who tend to have poor dietary habits.
    http://www.obesityinamerica.org/geographic.html

5. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,748
    i'd be happy to take a look and report back to you what it look like........

yo, me too. i gotta start cutting out them carbs my blood sugar shot up.

6. Omowale Jabali

Omowale Jabali The Cosmic Journeyman PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Creative Industrialist
    Ratings:
    +9,587
    yeah...this is one problem with some vegan diets...no meat but overconsumption of carbs. some veggies such as potatoes are potassium rich but have a high glycemic index. i'm trying (again) to go meatless and without dairy...not an easy task.

7. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,748
    that is what happened to me.
    basically, i can't eat nothin...........

8. spicybrown

spicybrown Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +118
    Lol, Mr Tehuti. It seems as though this topic has come up a lot as of late. What the bigger than big girls lyin & scheming on you. That's cold. SMH

It's all about perception. I have told men that I am "thick" but upon meeting them they said they were expecting someone far larger. On the flipside I have told men that I was thick, and they thought I was bigger than thick.

For men; it's just best to ask a woman her dress size.. that's the most accurate way to tell.

9. ShemsiEnTehuti

Ratings:
    +32

So women are open to giving up their dress size? I always thought I would offend her in asking.

10. ShemsiEnTehuti

Ratings:
    +32
    Yeah, I definitely feel you. That's what I typically expect, but some sisters I have encountered have bags and rolls, then bags of rolls, and rolls of bags, then say I'm not overweight, I'm thick....:bam: