The Ex-Gay thing

Discussion in 'Black Teenagers - Teenz Exprezzed!' started by blklespoet, Sep 6, 2004.

1. blklespoet

blklespoet Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +1
    I was just wondering what everyone thought of organizations and help groups that help gay people turn straight? Do you think that these help groups really work?? Do you think that someone can change from being gay to straight?

I think that help groups like that are cool because not everyone can accept being gay and for some homosexuality is caused by a truamatic even from their childhood. I have read some sucess stories and even met someone who says that they are fully cured. I know that some gays may find these groups offensive but I think everyone should have the choice to either life that lifestyle or change.

2. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,680
    :wave: Hello and Welcome Blklespoet :wave:

Are you a teenager? I'm asking because you posted this in the Teen Forum. If you're not a teen, let me know and i can move it to one of the other forums. You can tell me which forum you'd prefer it be in.

Sister, you are a Sister right? :)

Sister, i really don't have the answer to your question. I don't know a lot about being gay, or if someone who is gay can join a program and successfully become straight. On the surface, if a person is a certain way, it seems sad and painful for them to be forced (by themselves or others) to be something else.

I guess it depends on why they think they're gay. If they believe they are gay because of a traumatic event in their childhood, then that event is evidence that an event can occur making such a great change in one's life. So maybe something else can happen, not another traumatic event, but real help, patience, understanding, love, being freed from the past. Understand what i'm saying?

If a person is seeking out these type of services, there is obviously a lot of turmoil ... cognitive dissonance (i just learned this phrase :wink: ) ... that they are trying to balance inside themselves. With all that we, Black folk, already have to balance inside of ourselves, i can only imagine the added pressure bearing down on one's soul, mind, body, and strength. It's way too much.

No Sister, i really don't know if these places work, but if you or someone you know is experiencing this type of angst ... at the very least they should find loved ones to talk with and help ease the burden.

Again, welcome Sister Blklespoet and please make yourself at home, because you are!

:heart:

Destee

3. blklespoet

blklespoet Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +1
    Thank you destee

Well I just turned 18 so I guess I am not a teenager anymore. I guess you can move my post to the grown women's forum if you like. Well the reason I posted that was because I wanted to see what people thought of stuff like that. The truth is I am one of those people who are trying to change from being gay to straight because I know I am not supposed to be like this. Now dont get me wrong I was pretty deep into the lifestyle until I found God.

Well thank you for welcoming me, Yeah I am a sista lol

4. MrBlak

MrBlak Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +9
    Welcome Blklespoet.

I personally dont think that if someone is born gay they cannot change and I would not trust a woman who claims to be formerly gay to be my woman...she could easily slip and find herself wanting to be with a woman again. (JMO .... no offense)

As for people who were molested or what ever and they got some homosexual tendancies...they need therapy from being abused and once they get it maybe they will be fine....I dont know though....I never met anyone who went thru that.

5. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,680
    Sister Blklespoet ... you are very welcome and you are a teenager! 18 means you are still a teen and will be for a little bit longer, so it is okay that this thread is in the teen forum and we'll leave it there.

Tell me Sister, what else is going on in your life right now. For example, are you planning to attend college, what goals and dreams do you have for your life? What other things are going on besides this one issue, if you don't mind sharing?

Looking forward to your response.

:heart:

Destee