Black Atheists : "The End of Intelligent Design?" Stephen M. Barr

Discussion in 'Atheist Study Group' started by Gorilla, May 8, 2012.

1. Gorilla

Gorilla Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,399

The above is an assessment of the state of intelligent design by a Christian physicist at a conservative journal. He goes on to describe a pretty good contrast of what intelligent design has actually done versus the actual intended outcome:

It gets interesting in the areas that discuss the older theological arguments and their use of nature and there's some interesting thoughts on the disconnect between the scientist that have rejected intelligent design and still believe in a god vs the proponents of ID who are pretty much stuck with having to make anti-scientific arguments because of how they've framed their position. This also comes with the usual debate about what intelligent design actually is and how it's been presented by different people.

Full Article:
    http://www.firstthings.com/onthesquare/2010/02/the-end-of-intelligent-design

About page of First Things:
    http://www.firstthings.com/masthead

2. MS234

MS234 Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +3,901
    I see the problem as mainly the euroPEON of always trying to categorize and label everything. It's simple man, hue-man will NEVER know the driving force of the behind what we call existence. What gives and dictates the precision of which living is upheld. We don't know, so people call it "god". There are many, many other names to describe this force as you know. There fact remains until man can stand inside the eye of the hurricane of singularity (if you may), I don't see man achieving truly being knowledge of the source or "god" force.

All I say is I see many different names to describe the same thing and everyone claiming they have the answer, when the answer is undefinable. The good thing IMO is that we use the elements of the universe and earth for certain conveniences we enjoy in this present day.

Whatever and where ever this "place" is, we are here.
    To me the disconnect is realizing we don't have answers for everything, and we need to stop acting like we do. This is why dogmas thrive. Everyone is searching for THAT elusive answer. Some understand they don't know, some understand and try to search (which I don't have a problem), some seek answers and pacification thru cults and religions.

The fact remains all life is ONE. Man, again mostly the europeon and those that have been programmed by the europeans like to any way to separate and isolate the human being from the universe. There is no separation. As soon as we can get away from this incessant need to categorize and label everything, and move trying to greater understand our position and contribution to the universe, the world will be a better place. Tell the scientist to work on how to dismantle the matrix. A system of servitude to the system which oppresses and suppresses people. Then all who live life can see we were in what some call "heaven" this all time. It is the "hell" of man and his slave master mentality that blocks as all from the true one reality. A mindset that is incessant on attempting to use a billion different ways to describe ONE thing.

[​IMG]

3. Maseo

Maseo Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +1
    OK, it appears that you went off on a tangent here. The issue being discussed is the religious based pseudo-science as opposed to the actual science of evolution.

There's this old saying, "Science has questions that may never be answered - Religion has answers that may never be questioned."

Science is the study of physical nature. Attempts to answer what it observes and has nothing to do with god, or religion.

Intelligent design is an attempt to dumb-down our children as well as the population because the religious fear the progress made by science.