Black People : THE EMPTY SOULS OF BLACK FOLKS.

FLATFOOTFLOOGIE

BANNED
Jun 14, 2006
The title of the thread is not a condemnation of ALL Black folks - just those who seek to fill their lives with Designer apparrel, shoes, food, and 60-inch television sets, not necessarily in that order.

As a child growing up, long before the advent of bling videos and get-rich-quick reality tv shows, Black folks loved to dress in the finest clothes and shoes, and hats were a very popular item in the day, as well. We have always seen our love of finery as just a cultural thing, of style, and simply looking good, but I remember even in the day, brothers like Malcolm X and **** Gregory were keenly aware that it went much deeper than that surface analysis. In fact, it was these brothers who made me aware that there was a deep fissure in the soul of our people that made us want to "Look" good, and shine brightly in the face of all our despair. They realized then that even though we looked suave and debonair on the outside, most of us felt a great emptiness where it counted, in our souls.

Back in the day, you could tell the brother or sister who felt comfortable with themselves as working poor. They wore their finery only on a saturday night or a sunday morning. They realized they didn't have to impress anyone but themselves, and that those who had an obsession with dressing were only trying to cover up and disguise the blight that was their internal lives. The same is true today, even with all of the bling vids, and other Madison Avenue enticements. There are some Black folks who's soul can only be filled by the desiger name on their gear or shoes. They've dressed their children in designer this and that, and now the children don't even feel comfortable unless they've got on the latest designer item.

I am wondering, how can we fight this obsession in our communities, if at all? We actually give so much financial support to the very system many of us feel should be torn down. Why cannot we build our own designer names, with our own sweat grit and motherwit, and entice others to support us in the way we support them. I think a substantial portion of our economic and social problems could be solved were resolve to let the White KEEP his designer whatever, and made our own. What are you guys thoughts on my analysis?

the empty souls...

FLATFOOTFLOOGIE said:
The title of the thread is not a condemnation of ALL Black folks - just those who seek to fill their lives with Designer apparrel, shoes, food, and 60-inch television sets, not necessarily in that order.

As a child growing up, long before the advent of bling videos and get-rich-quick reality tv shows, Black folks loved to dress in the finest clothes and shoes, and hats were a very popular item in the day, as well. We have always seen our love of finery as just a cultural thing, of style, and simply looking good, but I remember even in the day, brothers like Malcolm X and **** Gregory were keenly aware that it went much deeper than that surface analysis. In fact, it was these brothers who made me aware that there was a deep fissure in the soul of our people that made us want to "Look" good, and shine brightly in the face of all our despair. They realized then that even though we looked suave and debonair on the outside, most of us felt a great emptiness where it counted, in our souls.

Back in the day, you could tell the brother or sister who felt comfortable with themselves as working poor. They wore their finery only on a saturday night or a sunday morning. They realized they didn't have to impress anyone but themselves, and that those who had an obsession with dressing were only trying to cover up and disguise the blight that was their internal lives. The same is true today, even with all of the bling vids, and other Madison Avenue enticements. There are some Black folks who's soul can only be filled by the desiger name on their gear or shoes. They've dressed their children in designer this and that, and now the children don't even feel comfortable unless they've got on the latest designer item.

I am wondering, how can we fight this obsession in our communities, if at all? We actually give so much financial support to the very system many of us feel should be torn down. Why cannot we build our own designer names, with our own sweat grit and motherwit, and entice others to support us in the way we support them. I think a substantial portion of our economic and social problems could be solved were resolve to let the White KEEP his designer whatever, and made our own. What are you guys thoughts on my analysis?
my take is this,we having been denied so much during slavery that when we did get a chance to buy our own things we were[and still are]as children run amuck in a toy store,most of us hadn't been taught about the value of owning property or investing in the stock market[very few of us in those days could afford to anyhow]so when we did get a little change from payday or hitting the numbers[before lotto]we went out and bought us some threads and a caddy[the blackman's rolls]and unfortunately this trend has carried over to this generation,and it's very sad to see folks living in the mists of poverty with the mindset of putting a 40,000 dollar car in front of that one bedroom apartment when with a little thought and planning that money could move you to a little better enviornment,but this is the way we think.

i think there's two things going on here... one people not living within there means... two... people feeling that they are defined by what they own or what they can buy...

i live within my means and i am not defined by how much money i spend on something...

i like to look good... stratch that... i love to look good... i stay at least a 7.5 at all times... mostly round a 8.5... and most of my clothing is made by white designers... i see no problem with that... there's a beautiful nigerian sista that makes me a dress from time to time.. but i can't afford that on the regular.. however i can afford the markdown rack at teh macy's and the dilliards especially when i got that coupon they mailed me saying i can get this or that off if i use my card.. and i use my card

but it's easy... it's easy to lose yourself in items... things... pretty things that outwardly lift your status while inwardly fooling yourself into believing that these things really matter...

since we are sterotyping... i only see these people clean on friday saturday and sunday... throughout the week they look at hot *** mess... their children look at hot *** mess... hair look a hot *** mess... now i know that sounds horrible but that's what i think... feeling the need to throw a party once a month... and a big behind party for their children's birthday eqipped with all the trimmings and trappings of a grown folks party: weed, liquor, beer, and a dj... my people need some help... and i ain't being hard... i live around this foolishness everyday... not letting my children go outside and play in fear that they'll put up some of that foolishnes...

like i said... it's a freaking shame

i'll add more later...

FLATFOOTFLOOGIE said:
The title of the thread is not a condemnation of ALL Black folks - just those who seek to fill their lives with Designer apparel, shoes, food, and 60-inch television sets, not necessarily in that order.
why condemn any group of black people? what good does that do?
i would take the approach of trying to teach better values to the ones that you think are lacking.

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back