Black People : THE EMPTY SOULS OF BLACK FOLKS.

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by FLATFOOTFLOOGIE, Jun 22, 2006.

1. FLATFOOTFLOOGIE

FLATFOOTFLOOGIE Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +2
    The title of the thread is not a condemnation of ALL Black folks - just those who seek to fill their lives with Designer apparrel, shoes, food, and 60-inch television sets, not necessarily in that order.

As a child growing up, long before the advent of bling videos and get-rich-quick reality tv shows, Black folks loved to dress in the finest clothes and shoes, and hats were a very popular item in the day, as well. We have always seen our love of finery as just a cultural thing, of style, and simply looking good, but I remember even in the day, brothers like Malcolm X and **** Gregory were keenly aware that it went much deeper than that surface analysis. In fact, it was these brothers who made me aware that there was a deep fissure in the soul of our people that made us want to "Look" good, and shine brightly in the face of all our despair. They realized then that even though we looked suave and debonair on the outside, most of us felt a great emptiness where it counted, in our souls.

Back in the day, you could tell the brother or sister who felt comfortable with themselves as working poor. They wore their finery only on a saturday night or a sunday morning. They realized they didn't have to impress anyone but themselves, and that those who had an obsession with dressing were only trying to cover up and disguise the blight that was their internal lives. The same is true today, even with all of the bling vids, and other Madison Avenue enticements. There are some Black folks who's soul can only be filled by the desiger name on their gear or shoes. They've dressed their children in designer this and that, and now the children don't even feel comfortable unless they've got on the latest designer item.

I am wondering, how can we fight this obsession in our communities, if at all? We actually give so much financial support to the very system many of us feel should be torn down. Why cannot we build our own designer names, with our own sweat grit and motherwit, and entice others to support us in the way we support them. I think a substantial portion of our economic and social problems could be solved were resolve to let the White KEEP his designer whatever, and made our own. What are you guys thoughts on my analysis?

2. oldiesman

oldiesman Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +120
    the empty souls...

my take is this,we having been denied so much during slavery that when we did get a chance to buy our own things we were[and still are]as children run amuck in a toy store,most of us hadn't been taught about the value of owning property or investing in the stock market[very few of us in those days could afford to anyhow]so when we did get a little change from payday or hitting the numbers[before lotto]we went out and bought us some threads and a caddy[the blackman's rolls]and unfortunately this trend has carried over to this generation,and it's very sad to see folks living in the mists of poverty with the mindset of putting a 40,000 dollar car in front of that one bedroom apartment when with a little thought and planning that money could move you to a little better enviornment,but this is the way we think.

3. IfUComeSoftly

IfUComeSoftly Well-Known Member MEMBER

PD for a Non Profit
    Ratings:
    +12
    i wanna say a lot... but i'ma have to get my bearings before i say it... i'll be back

4. IfUComeSoftly

IfUComeSoftly Well-Known Member MEMBER

PD for a Non Profit
    Ratings:
    +12
    i think there's two things going on here... one people not living within there means... two... people feeling that they are defined by what they own or what they can buy...

i live within my means and i am not defined by how much money i spend on something...

i like to look good... stratch that... i love to look good... i stay at least a 7.5 at all times... mostly round a 8.5... and most of my clothing is made by white designers... i see no problem with that... there's a beautiful nigerian sista that makes me a dress from time to time.. but i can't afford that on the regular.. however i can afford the markdown rack at teh macy's and the dilliards especially when i got that coupon they mailed me saying i can get this or that off if i use my card.. and i use my card

but it's easy... it's easy to lose yourself in items... things... pretty things that outwardly lift your status while inwardly fooling yourself into believing that these things really matter...

since we are sterotyping... i only see these people clean on friday saturday and sunday... throughout the week they look at hot *** mess... their children look at hot *** mess... hair look a hot *** mess... now i know that sounds horrible but that's what i think... feeling the need to throw a party once a month... and a big behind party for their children's birthday eqipped with all the trimmings and trappings of a grown folks party: weed, liquor, beer, and a dj... my people need some help... and i ain't being hard... i live around this foolishness everyday... not letting my children go outside and play in fear that they'll put up some of that foolishnes...

like i said... it's a freaking shame

i'll add more later...

5. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,745
    why condemn any group of black people? what good does that do?
    i would take the approach of trying to teach better values to the ones that you think are lacking.

6. Omowale Jabali

Omowale Jabali The Cosmic Journeyman PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Creative Industrialist
    Ratings:
    +9,585

While I agree with the SPIRIT of your argument lets look at reality...

Daishiki with The African Village label....MADE IN PAKISTAN

Warm-up Jacket by Makaveli Branded....MADE IN CHINA

FUBU Jacket...MADE IN CHINA

Roca Wear denim jacket...MADE IN CHINA

Check labels for Sean Jean, Phat Farm, Baby Phat and let me know where the products are made...

These are all supposed to be "Black owned designer labels"

7. FLATFOOTFLOOGIE

Ratings:
    +2
    Brother James, sound advice. That's why I said in my very opening sentence that I wasn't condemning ALL Blacks, and I'll even go further to say that I am not condemning ANY Blacks for this kind of mental vacuity. I think brother Oldiesman put it best when he said a great deal of this behavior stems from our frustrated desires to live as we saw the majority culture living, in the relative lap of luxury. Only we had limited resources, and too often had to settle for what we could put on our backs, or on our feet. It's really academic, and clearly nothing to CONDEMN anyone for.

It is just that now that we are many decades removed from slavery and segregation, the old attitudes continue, and they continue to our communal detriment. Not only do we toss away billions of dollars on butter items, and deplete our ability to enrich our entire community, but we are so obsessed with these material items, we inadvertently teach our children that they are valuable enough to take another human being's life in order to possess. WE CONDEMN our children to life sentences in prison as a repercussion of our obsession, and anyone says that's not serious is not worth my energy conversing with. In other words, brother, it all seems so innocent, but there are repercussions for those who do not see the entire picture. A people without a vision will surely perish. Itis the same if your vision is one word in a thousand word paragraph.

8. FLATFOOTFLOOGIE

Ratings:
    +2
    Well, brother, I remember reading in another thread where a one(FUBU) of these companies attempted to get financial backing from our community, and failed, so they got it from elsewhere. I can't knock that, and I don't think it a particularly bad economic decision for many reasons.

One, we talk about a "BLACK ECONOMY" which does not include the dollars of every other ethnic group. That's simply not good business philosophy considering that other ethnic groups have built THEIR ethnic economies off whose backs???LOL! So FUBU and SEAN JEAN and PHAT FARM, or Yourself, brother OMOWALE, doing business with other ethnic groups, does not preclude the building of a Black Economic base, and is good business. If McDonald's goes around the world building McDonald's Houses, why can't we build FUBU houses in these places? It's Just good maximization of our business interests.

As for the spirit of what I was saying, it derives from the murder of a young 15 year old child who was visiting his old neighborhood since having moved to another state. The young boy owned an IPOD mp3 player that some other youngsters wanted, and were willing to kill for, and did. The young killer, only 16 at the time of the murder, was sentenced to 25-to-life just several days following his 17th birthday.

This is a tragedy for a community, much less the parents of both of these children. And this stuff goes on all over our country, in every major and minor city and town. It hurts me to my heart that we can sit and casually throw our hands in the air as if we are unaffected. The bottom line is that we CAN change how a lot of stuff goes down without resorting to politics, by simply reeducating ourselves and our children about our values. That an IPOD or a piece a fried chicken is NOT worth taking a life over, and neither is a million dollars. We can do this ourselves, and slowly but surely take back what is ours. Sitting and waiting on politicians to do the job that is ours wont get it done. Big mama wailing and crying aint gonna get it done. It is going to be about a long-term committement to putting a different flava in the ear of one another, and not backing down to those who are flat negative about everything progressive.

9. FLATFOOTFLOOGIE

Ratings:
    +2

Hello, IfYouComeSoftly! THank you for responding.

I perfectly understand what you are saying, but it is not necessarily synonymous with what I am saying, particularly as it applies to you, and your spending habits.

Truth be told, most folks want to look fly when they hit the streets, even on their worst day, and if we can shop around and afford it, I don't see a problem with that at all. I am referring to the ruthless consumers among our people, who spend money they don't even have to keep up with the Joneses, and who are so obsessed with the status of labels and labeling, they cannot even see the camage they do to themselves and the minds of their own children. I'm concerned about the feeding frenzy mentality of it all, the acceptance of this behavior, because it leads to incidents like the one I described in an earlier post.

I am saying that we should never get so much gratification from these possessions that we are willing to kill, and or get into fights over them. We should check ourselves before we wreck ourselves, but this will only come when we are made CONSCIOUS of the long-term deleterious effects of ruthless consumerism, and it's repercussions.

10. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,745
    i suffered from materialism and bad values for most of my life. i have a ton of junk that i once thought was of value.
    only recently have i learned to shift my values from the material to the spiritual.
    what is needed is a massive deprogramming among black folks.
    now, i don't have a clue as to how to go about that.
    i just know that i advanced so i know it is possible.