Black Spirituality Religion : "The Ebony Exodus Project: Why Some Black Women Are Walking Out on Religion—and Others Should Too"

Discussion in 'Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion' started by RAPTOR, Jan 13, 2014.

1. RAPTOR

RAPTOR Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +4,097
    Published on Sep 15, 2013
    Candace L. M. Gorham, LPC, discusses her new book, The Ebony Exodus Project: Why Some Black Women Are Walking Out on Religion—and Others Should Too. Drawing on her own past experience as an evangelical minister and her present work as a secular counselor and researcher, she makes a direct connection between the church and the plight of black women, who are the single most religious demographic in the United States, yet among the poorest, least educated, and least healthy groups in the nation. Through interviews with African-American women who have left the church, the author reveals the shame and suffering often caused by the church—and the resulting happiness, freedom, and sense of purpose these women have felt upon walking away from it. She calls on other black women to honestly reflect on their relationship with religion and challenges them to consider that perhaps the answers to their problems rest not inside a church, but in themselves.

• Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Thank You Thank You x 1
    • List
  2. Michael Smith

Michael Smith Well-Known Member MEMBER

Advertisment
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +87
    Peace Destee Family, this is an excellent presentation of what "we" need to embrace, because "Religion" is not the way, "Religion" is in the way.... Peace

3. GodofTomorrow

GodofTomorrow Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +27
    I hope she goes on to say that spirituality is still, in effect, an answer for these women-- just not the spirituality they've been given. Many a time I've seen religious people jump into atheism, only to become equally dogmatic in their belief to science.

4. Gorilla

Gorilla Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,399
    I need to put this on my reading list. It's good to see some non-believers besides African Americans for Humanism (http://www.aahumanism.net/) and Ayan Hirsi Ali.

5. Omowale Jabali

Omowale Jabali The Cosmic Journeyman PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Creative Industrialist
    Ratings:
    +9,585

Good for them!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • List
  6. Gorilla

Gorilla Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,399
    The video talked about the importance of how mental health might be mishandled in the religious community of African American women. Turns out Gorham wrote an interesting blog post about this last year: http://ebonyexodus.com/why-depressed-churchgoers-need-more-than-jesus/

It's a pretty interesting take from someone who has experience ministering and being an LPC. She really does provide some insight about how even with the best of intentions the church doesn't really provide a place that's capable of handling mental health in a modern, effective way.

7. Enki

Enki The Evolved Amphibian STAFF

United States
    Civil Eng.
    Ratings:
    +5,928
    Thank you brutha Raptor for posting this truthful article.:toast::toast::toast:

Bruh, I know many sistas that has suffered at the hands of the black church. It ranges from rape, to being blamed for getting raped. I personally know a sista who's mother followed the advice of the pastor and punished her the way he said. But when it came to his own daughter's behavior, and her getting pregnant, he was loving, compassionate, and understanding. He even defended, and supported her actions in church saying that we all make mistakes.

Ok...true, but why did you tell that to the parents you were giving advice to on how to punish their kids?

Peace!

• Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • List
  8. IFE

IFE Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +551
    I left the church when I saw church members acting like those they called unsaved. At one time I was on every ministry in the church. Their was jealousy, envy, infighting. I witnessed other women discussing how to get other women out of the church. And eventually I overheard a conversation about getting me out of the church. Really. I was in an adjourning room and the "pastors wife" came in and asked " is that lady (my name) gone yet". The pastors wife! I don't know why me, but I'd seen others forced out. I don't know who was suppose to do what cause I was still there. I did make it known what I over heard. After that I stopped working in the church and went to sit. I parked my car one Sunday, and a parking attendant came to my car and told me to move. Those parking spaces were for church leader only (which I use to be).
    I experienced what Sister Gorham in the video is saying about being sick in the church. The pastor preached sermons saying if you were sick in your body it was because of sin. I had an experience with being sick that I'm to embarrassed to mention.
    I use to listen and believe all of that.
    It was when I heard the pastor wife ask had I left yet, that caused me to leave the church. I try going, and I'm not comfortable anymore. I no longer try. I read the Bible because I want to. I still claim Christanity. I'm just not comfortable in church anymore.

9. Enki

Enki The Evolved Amphibian STAFF

United States
    Civil Eng.
    Ratings:
    +5,928
    Thank you for sharing this, it's similar to so many stories I've heard from women I personally know. IMO, it's too much politics, and the COGIC church here has way too much of that.

Peace!

10. CosmicMessenger

CosmicMessenger Banned MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +945

Users found this page by searching for:

1. ebony exodus.org

2. the ebony exodus project why some black women are walking out on religion--and others should too candace r m gorham lpc