Black People : THE DYNAMICS OF RACIAL POLITICS IN CALIFORNIA, J.L. CHESTNUT JR.

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by Isaiah, Dec 30, 2005.

1. Isaiah

Isaiah Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +62
    They May Vote for You, But They Won't Have Lunch With You
    The Dynamics of Racial Politics in California
    By J.L. CHESTNUT, Jr.

LOS ANGELES.

Believe it or not, friends, blacks of my generation who are also natives of this really sprawling and tropical metropolis did, more often than not, attend integrated grammar and high schools. Their neighborhoods were black or mostly all black, but their early school experiences were usually integrated, and that is quite unusual. Also, unlike other college bound blacks everywhere else most did not attend one of the prominent historic black colleges such as Howard, Fisk, Spelman, Morehouse and Dillard. They attended predominantly white California state universities, and that is also quite unusual.

Californians are a different breed. California is not Alabama, Indiana or Iowa. In law school one learns early that progressive changes in the law invariably originate in California or Massachusetts and the most repressive measures almost always come out of Alabama and Mississippi.

However, blacks in Los Angeles and virtually everywhere had their own half-white elite caste of snobbish black doctors, lawyers and other professionals, a misguided and brainwashed group that really wanted to be white. Survivors and their proud descendents reside in three upscale suburban areas within the city: View Park, Ladera Heights and Baldwin Hills. My oldest daughter, Gerald and her family reside in Ladera Heights along with college sorority and fraternity friends and the color conscious, old-line elites and they are today's black socialites in L.A.

To this day, elites do not typically accept even light-skinned black entertainers with money or "people who are tied to the music or film industry." Gerald' father has been proudly tied to jazz and night people for more than half a century. I am hardly half-white and neither is she, and it is an utterly fascinating disconnect that I could unintentionally provide her a social boost when I lack "societal legitimacy" myself, and could only help because of some national exposure as a so-called hotshot lawyer and a published autobiography. That is how incomprehensible such nonsense is, but it always seems to have a life of its own.

Tavis Smiley lives within walking distance of my daughter and a young lady, Denise, who manages his office and Gerald, are very close friends. Tavis recently remodeled a building in the Crenshaw District (the ghetto) and operates from an office in that building. He said he wanted to be near his people. Good for him. Tavis started out as an ambitious and smart young staffer with the late Tom Bradley, the first and only black mayor of Los Angeles.

I came out here in 1990 on a book tour and met with Bradley. The late P.L. Lindsey of Selma had a brother who was one of Bradley's closest political associates. P. L. was a leader in Alabama church and educational circles for decades. His brother followed a similar course out here, ventured into politics and was elected to the city council. Councilman Lindsey was a key mover in delivering a massive and energized black vote without which Bradley would not have been elected mayor.

Bradley was smart, ambitious, sensitive and 100% black middle class. He was also a committed integrationist and like Colin Powell specialized in making powerful white males comfortable. Accordingly, Bradley rose through the ranks of the Los Angeles Police Department (one of the most racist in the country) to the rank of lieutenant. His rise was unprecedented, and only a black man such as he could have pulled it off.

When I met with Bradley he was secretly and to my surprise disturbed over several racist experiences he had suffered as mayor. He anxiously said, "J.L., I read your book cover-to-cover and it is more revealing about this racial thing than even Councilman Lindsey claimed. Let's talk. We can have lunch brought in here."

He mentioned his honorary membership in the Friars Club, a group of successful show biz millionaires such as Bob Hope, George Burns and Frank Sinatra. Bradley was the only black member, and his status was honorary. The only other blacks seen inside the club's exclusive Beverly Hills clubhouse were waiters and kitchen workers. Sammy Davis and Nat Cole would become members later.

Bradley became involved on a regular basis only because of the actor Gregory Peck (who incidentally starred in both Gentlemen's Agreement and To Kill a Mockingbird) pressured him almost daily and wouldn't take no as an answer. Bradley began to stop by the club for lunch once or twice a week and not just for special occasions. Soon, he began to notice little subtle signs of unwelcome. Finally, no one would sit at his table, and some would not even speak to the mayor of the city

CLICK ON WEB ADDRESS FOR THE REST....

http://www.counterpunch.org/chestnut08252005.html

2. Dual Karnayn

Dual Karnayn Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +7
    Just because this article is interesting...........

5 years ago I wouldn't have understood this and would have seen it as qite arrogant and snobbish.

But now after understanding that there are certain values one should have to not only aquire but maintain a certain standard of living, I understand why the Black upper-classes typically didn't appreciate how easily Black entertainers achieved thier status.

Obviously, in a capitalist society one should make as much money as they can by whatever legal means possible...business, entertainment, finding it in an alley, inheriting it, whatever.

But ideally a person should also have the values that go along with the money and status.
    Ideally a person would aquire thier fortune through smarts, shrewd business skills, great discipline, and somewhat conservative behavior.

These are traits and values that can be passed along from one generation to the next to ENSURE the wealth remains in the family and continues to grow.

You take a man who can't keep himself out of jail and can barely spell his name and some white man offers HIM $100 million to shoot hoops for 5 years, or gives him $5 million upfront to call himself a "gorilla unit" and disrespect his own people....how long will that wealth last?

Not long.
    And everyone with intelligence knows this including the whites who pay him and the Black upper-class many of whom had to EARN thier money and behave responsibly.

Mike Tyson is an excellent example of what happens to people who don't have the proper ethic and values in managing thier great wealth.

3. Isaiah

Ratings:
    +62
    But Brother Dual, perhaps, these upper-crust Blacks(and Whites)make the very same sweeping generalizations about Black athletes and entertainers as you're making in your statement... You used Mike Tyson as an anecdote, and when you do that, you negelect to mention the many athletes and entertainers who've maintained their money and lifestyle, because they had those values about which you speak before they made the money...

Essentially, what you're saying - and what those upper-crust folks think in their blindness - is that all athletes and entertainers grew up poor and without any decent values... How crazy is that???(smile!) A guy like David Robinson was the son of a military man, and he himself was a naval officer... You don't get much more conservative than that, and you don't get tha level of discipline no matter what class you grow up in... A guy like Shaq grew up with a miltary man as his step dad, and though it doesn't always appear that he's the best of example of conservatism, the guy has gone back and gotten his masters degree, after leaving college early...

Granted, those are some anecdotal examples, but there are plenty more where those came from, and they far outdistance the clowns you read about on the police blotter.. The media loves the catz on the police blotter, because they're more "exciting", and they provide more anecdotal evidence of the image they want to promote of Black Athletes and entertainers...

But this article is on a different level than what you're talking about... J.L. Chestnut is talking about an old, old system of Black folks mimicking White Folks, tryna keep certain Blacks(highly melinated)out of their mix, their millieau... Don't get it confused, brother... It's not about the money, because many of these athletes and entertainers got enough money to buy these folks a new ***, man...(smile!) It aint about no high moral values, neither, because these folks engage in mad freaky, abberational behavior - because they're so "upstanding" and "god-like" they have the "right" and the "privilege" to do so... "Who're you, with you low moral values, and lack of money, and your ghetto status, to tell ME how to behave??? HOW DARE YOU?!" That is THEIR attitude, their mindset...

Peace!
    Isaiah

4. Therious

Therious Banned MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,398
    I never liked these types of people when i was in cali. There is a real materialistic snobby attituide in la. watching these black women with green lenses and hair weaves, or the men with s-curls and processed hair like its 1960. lol

with that said Cali has the most beutiful women from chardcoal blk to lemon yellow, matter o fact wish i was thjere now! i read a study recently which said that L.A is one of the few spots where blacks are making progress.

btw

actor don johnson (white) filed for bankruptcy recently so its not a black thing its an undisciplined thing. how do these people feel about danny glover? it was disapointing to see shaq in a cop uniform talk about kobe being a snitch shaq is working with the snitches what a dummy.these nba players best watch what they do around shaq now lol.

5. Isaiah

Ratings:
    +62

Interesting point about Shaq, Therious(smile!) So he wants to be a cop, huh??? How about an undercover cop???

Peace!
    Isaiah

6. Therious

Therious Banned MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,398
    he actually was sworn in a few months back as an honorary miami (maybe dade co) cop. he said he wants to specialize in catching pedophiles and people who harm children. he actually pulled some car over and made an arrest. cant hate on the child protection i mean i dont like cops but someone has to stop these monsters so we do need some cops. but if brah is gonna start locking up his teammates for like littering or , snitch on his neighboors for having a wild party or something then he is a BUSTER!
    http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2253684

the link above if you havent seen the report yet

one