Black People : The Dumbing Down Of America

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by PurpleMoons, Aug 9, 2017.

1. PurpleMoons

PurpleMoons Administrator STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,128
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.psychologytoday.com/blog/wired-success/201407/anti-intellectualism-and-the-dumbing-down-america?amp

There is a growing and disturbing trend of anti-intellectual elitism in American culture. It’s the dismissal of science, the arts, and humanities and their replacement by entertainment, self-righteousness, ignorance, and deliberate gullibility.

Susan Jacoby, author of The Age of American Unreason, says in an article in the Washington Post, "Dumbness, to paraphrase the late senator Daniel Patrick Moynihan, has been steadily defined downward for several decades, by a combination of heretofore irresistible forces. These include the triumph of video culture over print culture; a disjunction between Americans' rising level of formal education and their shaky grasp of basic geography, science and history; and the fusion of anti-rationalism with anti-intellectualism."

;):confused:

2. chuck

chuck Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +2,603
    I'm also waiting on your personal feedback as it applies to us rising beyond this sort of backward thinking etc.

3. PurpleMoons

PurpleMoons Administrator STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,128
    Well Brother Chuck, when I read this article the first thing which came to mind was the education system available to me as a child. What has changed and how it differs from today's youths!?!

I remember lots of reading and validating how much of what I read was actually comprehended by way of book reports and/or multiple choice answers.
    I remember creative writing on the curriculum as early as 2nd grade! I remember Holiday tv programs geared toward moral Social skills and empathy for others. Those were the days when you strolled down the street, greet your neighbors, and smiled more on your
    way to work, school, and/or just on your way to the local market.

With higher living expense, more demand, newer technology, it seems not to be enough time in the day to unwhine and gather your thoughts for peace of mind! People are in a constant state of rush just to maintain a descent living!

The people of the world have been forced to change to accommodate higher demands! Replacing knowelege and comprehension with repetition, and social participation/awareness painted in fear and exhaustion!

With all that going on, the only thing I can offer is to make time to insure your children comprehends the things they hear happening around the world! Encourage more reading! Encourage independent thoughts separate from world thoughts! Teach them the importance of being fair and balance because beyond popular belief, we're all connected in some form or fashion! Every decision we make will have an affect on somebody somewhere! Be conscientious of our words/choices and act accordingly! Never think you know it all with a certainty! Always inspire to learn more!

With these things in mind, I hope we'll be alright! Might be to late for some of us already set people! But our youths can have a better chance at elevating higher learning skills instead of the robotic thinking force fed to everyone!

:heart: