Black History Culture : The Doll Test

Discussion in 'Black History - Culture - Panafricanism' started by cherryblossom, Apr 15, 2009.

1. cherryblossom

cherryblossom Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5,560
    [​IMG]

"This is probably one of the most dangerous things facing mankind today: A use and training of intelligence excluding moral sensitivity."

Kenneth B. Clark (1914–2005)
    Educational Psychologist
    PhD 1940
    LLD 1970 (hon.)

Mamie Phipps Clark (1917–83)
    Educational Psychologist
    PhD 1943

The research of Kenneth and Mamie Phipps Clark challenged the notion of differences in the mental abilities of black and white children and so played an important role in the desegregation of American schools. In 1946, the Clarks founded the Northside Center for Child Development in Harlem, where they conducted experiments on racial biases in education. Their findings were presented at school desegregation trials in Virginia, South Carolina, and Delaware. In 1954, in a famous footnote, those findings were cited in Brown v. Board of Education of Topeka, Kan., the landmark Supreme Court decision that ruled public-school segregation unconstitutional.

Kenneth Clark was the first African American to earn a doctorate in psychology at Columbia, to hold a permanent professorship at the City College of New York, to join the New York State Board of Regents and to serve as president of the American Psychological Association. In addition to his work as a psychologist and educator, he assisted corporations with racial policies and minority hiring programs. His books include Prejudice and Your Child (1955), Dark Ghetto (1965), A Possible Reality (1972), and Pathos of Power (1975). During Columbia's student protests in 1968, Clark, whose son Hilton (Columbia College 1968) was a leader of the Society of Afro-American Students, served as mediator between the black student protesters in Hamilton Hall and the administration.

Mamie Phipps began studying self-perception in black children as a graduate student at Howard University, where she met and married Kenneth Clark. Between 1939 and 1940, the two published three major articles on this subject. Phipps Clark continued her work at Columbia where, in 1943, she became the first African-American woman and the second African American (after her husband) in the University's history to receive a psychology doctorate. It was her work on the way black children seemed to prefer white dolls to black ones that particularly impressed the Supreme Court justices. In 1966, Columbia recognized the couple's work by awarding each the Nicholas Murray Butler Silver Medal.

http://www.c250.columbia.edu/c250_celebrates/remarkable_columbians/kenneth_mamie_clark.html

In 2006 filmmaker Kiri Davis recreated the doll study and documented it in a film entitled A Girl Like Me. Despite the many changes in some parts of society, she found the same results as did the Drs. Clark in their study of the late 1930s and early 1940s.

2. Da Street So'ja

Da Street So'ja Banned MEMBER

thrivin' spiritually/physically/emotionally/financ
    Ratings:
    +42
    yes

this is such a shame it was sad to see

one of the reasons why i don't really feel psychology (i've had courses in it)
    is because of its' relativity and it's lack of true help

meaning if you put a pack of wild days in a cage and don't feed them
    for 4 days and then you throw a piece of meat in and you sit back and
    "watch" the psychology of that

and psychology is a more recent phenomena created in last 100 years or so
    as we presently know psychology to be this is not the "psychology" of
    ancient egypt this present day psychology is a con-struck of the eurotrix

and it's a sit back and watch phenomena with no true support that
    reverses the platform that allows most of the psych stuff

i doubt ancient egypt had many psych wards and rehab centers

but this test i do like it shows the extent of the conditioning
    but like all "tests" do it really destroy the platform that allows the "conditioning"

3. oldiesman

oldiesman Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +120
    psychologist are IDIOTS[I DIDN'T STUDDER]my wife and i took our oldest daughter to one and one of the test was to have her draw a picture so the picture was drawn and she colored one of the clouds[black]now our esteemed psychologist said that the[black]clouds were a sign of unhappiness and depression,so my wife asked our daughter why she colored the cloud[black]and her answer....because i wanted to,well our esteemed phd's couldn't believe that a child would actually color a cloud black and had no explanation so we never bothered with that nonsense again..oh and the little girl who they tested is a well adjusted adult today..no thanks to those QUACKS..there are many poor souls in hospitals today because of the unreliable diagnosis of some phychologist....you can have em.

4. cherryblossom

Ratings:
    +5,560

Well, tell us how you really feel, Oldiesman! lol

5. $$RICH$$

$$RICH$$ Lyon King Admin. STAFF

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,178
    Just don't belive in it ...

6. cherryblossom

Ratings:
    +5,560
    Well, Rich, whether you believe in psychology or not doesn't change the results of this doll test in the 1950s and again in the 2000s when Black children preferred White dolls over Black ones.

Now, theories may differ as to why they did but it is still a sad commentary on how our children still view themselves 50 years after this study was done the 1st time.

7. $$RICH$$

$$RICH$$ Lyon King Admin. STAFF

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,178
    true dat......

8. oldiesman

Ratings:
    +120
    cherryblossom my beautiful sister,let me rap to you for a minute if i may,i understand your frustration,but we're talking about-C-H-I-L-D-R-E-N here i'm assuming 4-5-6 yrs old we need to let children be children this world is a hard place and yes they will learn lessons along the way and yes we as parents,family members will teach them but please don't assume that they are doomed because they choose a white doll over a black one,you see sister sometimes we get too emotional about what our kids-act like-dress..example-there are parents and it's certainly their perogative who dress their infants and toddlers in the adult styles[nike-avirex]now it's cute ok,but what happens when the child is 10 and the parent is struggling to make ends meet so no more nikes,ect?well hey the child is used to wearing these things and he-she is not gonna want anything less no matter what momma-daddy says,you see where i'm going here,let's not be so hasty to push adult ideas on children....do you remember as a child watching[cowboys-indians]on tv...WHO DID YOU ROOT FOR???

9. cherryblossom

Ratings:
    +5,560
    :hi: Oldiesman!

Please receive my statements in the spirit of discussion and not attack...

Now, you've already spoken of a bad experience and your disdain for the field of psychology; but, perhaps, your feelings about it are affecting/contributing to your view on this.

Let's take away the “label” of psychology, i.e., restricted to the “mind” and, instead, look at this holistically...

So, if a study done in the 1950s showed that Black children preferred White dolls over dolls which looked like them and attributed “good” qualities to the White dolls and “bad” qualities to Black dolls; and then, 50 years later, another study showed the same results, what does that say about the self-image Black children have about themselves, in your opinion?

In your opinion, how does that self-image tie in culturally, socially, emotionally, and economically with Black children?

Yes, these children were young, but those small children grow up into teens and adults with that same self-image/mindset that “White is Right” and “Black is Wack;” and if they have no one (parents or other family) in their lives to combat this low self-esteem, it is perpetuated from generation to generation.

PLEASE WATCH THIS VIDEO:

10. oldiesman

Ratings:
    +120
    hi cherryblossom,i understand your concern and your view is very well taken and at no time did i see it as an attack,this is good discussion[smile]the reason i typed in bold at the end was to make a point and yes our children do need that guildance that many still don't have.