Black People : THE DIRTY SOUTH - DO ALL BLACK SOUTHERNERS ACCEPT THAT TERM???

Isaiah

REGISTERED MEMBER
Jun 8, 2004
Not long ago I witnessed in a bodega, a young Dominican cat asking an elder African American man from Georgia, why the south was called "dirty???" He asked ignorantly, "Is there garbage all over the streets? "Y'all aint got no sanitation department, or suntin?" - LOL! The elder, not being familiar with all this young folks stuff, looked at me with an expression of 'what is this fool talkin' about?', and I just laughed. I explained to him, as best I could, that it was a young folks thang, and not really important...

Fact is, the elder was a bit annoyed by the young man's query, and I could see that... Their signals were all messed up by the difference in their ages, and the kid didn't have sense to back up off the elder, and leave things alone... Nevertheless, it made me think, how many African Americans down south actually accept this terminology... I know the elders don't accept it north or south, their home towns being called "dirty." But what of the younger generations, what is their perception of this terminology... Is there any debate about it, the imagery of the south being a "dirty" place socially, politically, literally??? Black Southerners the flo is yo's...

Peace!
Isaiah

Brother Isaiah,

This question is like asking do all Southerners eat "Dirty Rice"...lol

Some do and some don't..

To answer your question, no.

It may all comes down to marketing the South through youth culture ie music etc and seeing the rise of youth parties hosted in southern coastal communities and college communities where the main local inhabitants are whites who try being tolerant while harboring racist sentiments of these young people with many older black people and a lesser extent local people all together opting at staying away.

In these regards the South is considered open country to make 'dirty'. But that is changing with local Southern police forces and tourist boards providing 'strict' quality control which I do consider offensive and improper just as I consider people not caring about the South whether black, white, local, or foreign offensive.

omowalejabali said:
Brother Isaiah,

This question is like asking do all Southerners eat "Dirty Rice"...lol

Some do and some don't..

I hear you, brother O, that's why I aimed the question at Young Southern Blacks... I wanted to know if there is a clear debate around the use of the term, as it is in the national Black Community about the use of the N word...

Unlike with the N word, where there is no clear demarcations based on age, gender, education, or other, I wanted to know are the young brothers and sisters in the south, engaged in some debate about the imagery that is being projected out about the south... I already know that there is a sizeable portion of proud elders who haven't even heard of the usage, and would scoff at it if they did.. So this is a young folks issue off the top... Just asking what a cross-section actually thinks - or if they've thought- about this phrase, Dirty South...

Peace!

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back