Black People : THE DIRTY SOUTH - DO ALL BLACK SOUTHERNERS ACCEPT THAT TERM???

river

Watch Her Flow
REGISTERED MEMBER
Mar 22, 2004
Where the Niger meets the Nile
Occupation
Author
Hmm I've been here in Texas four years and never heard the expression but I'll ask my little sister. She's more familiar with the idioms of the younger generation (not that I'm old. You're not old until you bend down to tie your shoe laces and say "Now let me see, what else can I do while I'm down here.").

I have to agree with brotha Omo about California. I was fortunate enough to get off that planet before the "Governator" came.

Dual Karnayn

REGISTERED MEMBER
Nov 5, 2005
The "dirty" South...heh heh heh.....

I believe the term originated from the South's more "rural" historic background, but some people took it to mean crooked and underhanded...which is good in the age of gangsta-rap.

If you peep the trend.....

Hiphop started off on the East coast and it focused on partying and clubbing, then the PEs and KRS Ones turned it political so the establishment moved it out West.

On the West coast it was all about gang-banging and drive-bys until Cube, Kam, Paris and 'em turned THAT political so they had to move it again.....this time to the South.

Not to progressive well-educated Atlanta, but to dirty New Orleans so Master P and his bunch could make it really "dirty" and slop it up good.
It's been focused in the South for quite some time now without really becoming political like the other places, but perhaps Katrina will change all that.
Even the "P" himself is mad as hell about what happened to his property down there.

Holla back "wardie"!

Omowale Jabali

The Cosmic Journeyman
REGISTERED MEMBER
Sep 29, 2005
Temple of Kali, Yubaland
Occupation
Creative Industrialist
Dual Karnayn said:
The "dirty" South...heh heh heh.....

I believe the term originated from the South's more "rural" historic background, but some people took it to mean crooked and underhanded...which is good in the age of gangsta-rap.

If you peep the trend.....

Hiphop started off on the East coast and it focused on partying and clubbing, then the PEs and KRS Ones turned it political so the establishment moved it out West.

On the West coast it was all about gang-banging and drive-bys until Cube, Kam, Paris and 'em turned THAT political so they had to move it again.....this time to the South.

Not to progressive well-educated Atlanta, but to dirty New Orleans so Master P and his bunch could make it really "dirty" and slop it up good.
It's been focused in the South for quite some time now without really becoming political like the other places, but perhaps Katrina will change all that.
Even the "P" himself is mad as hell about what happened to his property down there.

Holla back "wardie"!

Prior to P.E. and BDP on the West Coast there was the Fila Fresh Crew, Uncle Jamms Army, Domino and the World Class Wrecking crew...NWA came out of this and could not hardly be considered "establishment" at the time...Eze-E's Ruthless Records was an independent label which was sold out the trunk of his Impala at the Compton and Slauson swap-meets..in fact, west coast hip hop groups and artists such as RonDeVu, Egyptian Lover, Rodney O sold their tapes at swap meets before acquiring recording contracts and their emergence nationally occurred as record labels such as Relativity, Interscope, Ruthless and Solar obtained major distribution deals..so it was not the "establishment which moved it out west" *shaking head*

In fact, the major weakness in this argument is the fact that Hip Hop's so-called GOLDEN AGE emerged during this same time period from about 1986-92 , before Dr. Dre's release of "The Chronic"..when "G-Funk" emerged and west coast artists such as Dre, Snoop, WC, Mack-10, and 2Pac started selling gold and platinum lps..

As far as the South was concerned...the move from Cali to Florida of the 2 Live Crew...the Geto Boys...UGK...all preceeded "Master P" and No Limit...so Texas and Memphis actually were centers of RAP long before New Orleans or ATL and as has been discussed in other forums...many of these Brothers were NOT considered part of "hip hop" culture...

MississippiRed

REGISTERED MEMBER
Aug 11, 2004
Man here it is.....the term Dirty South came from a song....that's right a song...not from the Man , not as a marketing strategy, not to describe the rural South but a song........by a cat named Cool Breeze he was on a track with GOODIE MOB I'm gonna see if I still have the CD so I can post the lyrics ...and the name stuck.....that's where it came from.....before that though we was always dutty........Dirty being a term to describe a person that's out to get theirs no matter what it take....they Dirty......before my reincarnation as Mississippi Red when I started trying...trying to live right I was Dirty Red.....I got a potna na his name is Dert....short for Derty Steve.....and as such the Derty South is bout doing what we got to do to get what we gots to get........knomtalnbout na........nothing to do with trash,dirt roads,or none of tha.......personally I don't mind it....I only mind when folk use it or ask about it or any word in the Southern Dialect and are being disrespectful or stupid about it.....

Good question Isaiah....I only wish folk that Ain't from the South would stop speaking for us like they are us........

MississippiRed
Already

Omowale Jabali

The Cosmic Journeyman
REGISTERED MEMBER
Sep 29, 2005
Temple of Kali, Yubaland
Occupation
Creative Industrialist
MississippiRed said:
Man here it is.....the term Dirty South came from a song....that's right a song...not from the Man , not as a marketing strategy, not to describe the rural South but a song........by a cat named Cool Breeze he was on a track with GOODIE MOB I'm gonna see if I still have the CD so I can post the lyrics ...and the name stuck.....that's where it came from.....before that though we was always dutty........Dirty being a term to describe a person that's out to get theirs no matter what it take....they Dirty......before my reincarnation as Mississippi Red when I started trying...trying to live right I was Dirty Red.....I got a potna na his name is Dert....short for Derty Steve.....and as such the Derty South is bout doing what we got to do to get what we gots to get........knomtalnbout na........nothing to do with trash,dirt roads,or none of tha.......personally I don't mind it....I only mind when folk use it or ask about it or any word in the Southern Dialect and are being disrespectful or stupid about it.....

Good question Isaiah....I only wish folk that Ain't from the South would stop speaking for us like they are us........

MississippiRed
Already

hey brother Red,

I got a potna in los angeles from junior high school...he was a local dj that I used to do "shotgun parties" with back in the 70s...he now owns a studio equipment rental company in hollywood...guess what we called him...."Dirt"...see bruh...the more some of these kids claim to know...the more they prove the little they know...

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
AACOOLDRE Brother AACOOLDRE : The Dirty South: blacks owned Blacks too? AACOOLDRE 9
KPITRL Black People : Do you see good ole country girls or do you see more the dirty ole south? Black People Open Forum 5
Destee Black People : The Dirty South Black People Open Forum 1
KWABENA Black People : WHAT IS THE DIRTY SOUTH? Black People Open Forum 12
T Black Entertainment : Dirty South Rap with some thought Black Entertainment 4
F Black People : Dirty Dirty south out again Black People Open Forum 1
F Black Entertainment : Dirty Dirty south out again Black Entertainment 4
Bishop Black Poetry : Heading to the Dirty South Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 10
R Black Poetry : Wreck haters like spectators standing about demanding clout for a newspaper route got wordy flows and like dirty clothes need washing to proceed squa Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 0
Al D Africa : Smart Gas Cooking Seeks to Break African Cities' Dirty Charcoal Habit All Things Africa 1
R Black Poetry : EDWIN DRIVE #1 It's the order of time that slaughter minds drink dirty // water and wine a dumb dis Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 1
jamesfrmphilly Law Forum : dirty brooklyn cop exposed..... Law Forum - Prisons - Gun Ownership 1
Clyde C Coger Jr Health and Wellness : The New 'Dirty Dozen' List of Pesticide-Laden Produce Is Here Black Health and Wellness 4
HODEE Black People : Is Racism a Dirty Game Black People Open Forum 0
HODEE Black People : The Dirty Truth Is... I freed a thousand slaves I could have freed a thousand more if only they knew Black People Open Forum 7
MS234 Audio Video Web Conferencing : destee.tv : Ja Rule Feat. Fat Joe & Jadakiss - New York (HQ / Dirty) Audio Video Web Conferencing 1
MS234 Audio Video Web Conferencing : 50 Cent - Many Men (Wish Death) (Dirty Version) Audio Video Web Conferencing 1
Alarm Clock Pan Africanism : Real Dirty Tricks; Lies to Justifdy Land Grabs African American History Culture 1
Omowale Jabali Pan Africanism : Dirty Tricks African American History Culture 332
MsInterpret Black Poetry : I Got a Dirty Thought Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 3
A Black People : “I advise everyone to avoid drinking water from the tap" The Dirty Truth About Tap Water Black People Open Forum 7
RAPTOR Black People Politics : Dirty Wars: Jeremy Scahill & Rick Rowley's New Film Exposes Hidden Truths of Covert U.S. Warfare Black People Politics 1
ManicRaider Black People : How come we don't protest against dirty cops? Black People Open Forum 18
MsInterpret Audio Video Web Conferencing : Dr. Dre - Let Me Ride (HQ / Dirty) Audio Video Web Conferencing 0
MsInterpret Audio Video Web Conferencing : Ol' Dirty Bastard-Shimmy Shimmy Ya Audio Video Web Conferencing 0
MsInterpret Audio Video Web Conferencing : Michael Jackson - Dirty Diana Audio Video Web Conferencing 0
MsInterpret Audio Video Web Conferencing : 8Ball & MJG - You Don't Want Drama / Don't Make (HQ / Dirty) Audio Video Web Conferencing 0
MsInterpret Black Women : Dirty Thirty Anxiety Black Women 5
Destee Health and Wellness : Dirty Surgical Tools Putting Patients At Risk Black Health and Wellness 4
Keita Kenyatta Black People : Dr. Walter Williams - The Three Dirty Religions Pt.1 Black People Open Forum 0
Ankhur Black People : Thousands Protest Dirty Deals at UNs Druban Climate Change Conference Black People Open Forum 1
Ankhur Black People : A State Sues Banks Over Dirty Foreclosure Policies? Black People Open Forum 0
MsInterpret Audio Video Web Conferencing : destee.tv : 2Pac - Hit 'Em Up (Dirty, HD) + Lyrics Audio Video Web Conferencing 0
MsInterpret Audio Video Web Conferencing : destee.tv : Young Buck - Shorty Wanna Ride (Dirty Version) Audio Video Web Conferencing 0
Khasm13 Khasm13 : Sniffing Dirty Laundry: A True Story from “the Help’s” Daughter By Bernestine Singley Khasm13 0
MsInterpret Audio Video Web Conferencing : destee.tv : TLC - Red Light Special (Dirty Version) Audio Video Web Conferencing 0
MsInterpret Black Poetry : Dirty Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 4
Kemetstry Black People : Dirty Laundry Black People Open Forum 159
Amnat77 Nigeria : WikiLeaks: Pfizer denies dirty tricks claims in Nigeria Nigeria 2
HODEE Black People : It’s a dirty game Black People Open Forum 9
skuderjaymes Black Entertainment : some of that low low down down dirty blues.. Black Entertainment 36
Kemetstry Black People : Riding Dirty Black People Open Forum 24
Ankhur Black People : AIGs dirty "thank you" to the public, for public money, bailing them out! Black People Open Forum 0
Ankhur Black People : Goldman Sach's dirty hands in the Economic Disaster Black People Open Forum 1
cherryblossom Black Entertainment : You're A Snake In the Grass..LOW-DOWN, DIRTY! Black Entertainment 5
Destee Law Forum : Can You Go To Jail For Riding Dirty Law Forum - Prisons - Gun Ownership 1
Zulile Black People : GOP dirty tricks Black People Open Forum 10
$$RICH$$ Black Poetry : DIRTY SHAME, (is it a game 2) Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 8
I Black People : Dirty DEVIL bombs Africa! Where's the outrage? Black People Open Forum 0
Sha'iyn Black Entertainment : Read-A-Book dirty version Black Entertainment 0