Black People : THE DIRTY SOUTH - DO ALL BLACK SOUTHERNERS ACCEPT THAT TERM???

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by Isaiah, Dec 27, 2005.

1. Isaiah

Isaiah Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +62
    Not long ago I witnessed in a bodega, a young Dominican cat asking an elder African American man from Georgia, why the south was called "dirty???" He asked ignorantly, "Is there garbage all over the streets? "Y'all aint got no sanitation department, or suntin?" - LOL! The elder, not being familiar with all this young folks stuff, looked at me with an expression of 'what is this fool talkin' about?', and I just laughed. I explained to him, as best I could, that it was a young folks thang, and not really important...

Fact is, the elder was a bit annoyed by the young man's query, and I could see that... Their signals were all messed up by the difference in their ages, and the kid didn't have sense to back up off the elder, and leave things alone... Nevertheless, it made me think, how many African Americans down south actually accept this terminology... I know the elders don't accept it north or south, their home towns being called "dirty." But what of the younger generations, what is their perception of this terminology... Is there any debate about it, the imagery of the south being a "dirty" place socially, politically, literally??? Black Southerners the flo is yo's...

Peace!
    Isaiah

2. Omowale Jabali

Omowale Jabali The Cosmic Journeyman PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Creative Industrialist
    Ratings:
    +9,585
    Brother Isaiah,

This question is like asking do all Southerners eat "Dirty Rice"...lol

Some do and some don't..

3. Omowale Jabali

United States
    Creative Industrialist
    Ratings:
    +9,585
    Oh...by the way...I find Texas to be a lot "cleaner" than California which played a lot in my decision to move here..can't speak for anywhere else though...now...I'm sure some of the "Screwheads" in Oak Cliff or H-town's 5th ward DO..

4. dustyelbow

dustyelbow Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +21
    To answer your question, no.

It may all comes down to marketing the South through youth culture ie music etc and seeing the rise of youth parties hosted in southern coastal communities and college communities where the main local inhabitants are whites who try being tolerant while harboring racist sentiments of these young people with many older black people and a lesser extent local people all together opting at staying away.

In these regards the South is considered open country to make 'dirty'. But that is changing with local Southern police forces and tourist boards providing 'strict' quality control which I do consider offensive and improper just as I consider people not caring about the South whether black, white, local, or foreign offensive.

5. Isaiah

Isaiah Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +62
    I hear you, brother O, that's why I aimed the question at Young Southern Blacks... I wanted to know if there is a clear debate around the use of the term, as it is in the national Black Community about the use of the N word...

Unlike with the N word, where there is no clear demarcations based on age, gender, education, or other, I wanted to know are the young brothers and sisters in the south, engaged in some debate about the imagery that is being projected out about the south... I already know that there is a sizeable portion of proud elders who haven't even heard of the usage, and would scoff at it if they did.. So this is a young folks issue off the top... Just asking what a cross-section actually thinks - or if they've thought- about this phrase, Dirty South...

Peace!

6. river

river Watch Her Flow MEMBER

United States
    Author
    Ratings:
    +1,290
    Hmm I've been here in Texas four years and never heard the expression but I'll ask my little sister. She's more familiar with the idioms of the younger generation (not that I'm old. You're not old until you bend down to tie your shoe laces and say "Now let me see, what else can I do while I'm down here.").

I have to agree with brotha Omo about California. I was fortunate enough to get off that planet before the "Governator" came.

7. Dual Karnayn

Dual Karnayn Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +7
    The "dirty" South...heh heh heh.....

I believe the term originated from the South's more "rural" historic background, but some people took it to mean crooked and underhanded...which is good in the age of gangsta-rap.

If you peep the trend.....

Hiphop started off on the East coast and it focused on partying and clubbing, then the PEs and KRS Ones turned it political so the establishment moved it out West.

On the West coast it was all about gang-banging and drive-bys until Cube, Kam, Paris and 'em turned THAT political so they had to move it again.....this time to the South.

Not to progressive well-educated Atlanta, but to dirty New Orleans so Master P and his bunch could make it really "dirty" and slop it up good.
    It's been focused in the South for quite some time now without really becoming political like the other places, but perhaps Katrina will change all that.
    Even the "P" himself is mad as hell about what happened to his property down there.

Holla back "wardie"!

8. Omowale Jabali

United States
    Creative Industrialist
    Ratings:
    +9,585

Prior to P.E. and BDP on the West Coast there was the Fila Fresh Crew, Uncle Jamms Army, Domino and the World Class Wrecking crew...NWA came out of this and could not hardly be considered "establishment" at the time...Eze-E's Ruthless Records was an independent label which was sold out the trunk of his Impala at the Compton and Slauson swap-meets..in fact, west coast hip hop groups and artists such as RonDeVu, Egyptian Lover, Rodney O sold their tapes at swap meets before acquiring recording contracts and their emergence nationally occurred as record labels such as Relativity, Interscope, Ruthless and Solar obtained major distribution deals..so it was not the "establishment which moved it out west" *shaking head*

In fact, the major weakness in this argument is the fact that Hip Hop's so-called GOLDEN AGE emerged during this same time period from about 1986-92 , before Dr. Dre's release of "The Chronic"..when "G-Funk" emerged and west coast artists such as Dre, Snoop, WC, Mack-10, and 2Pac started selling gold and platinum lps..

As far as the South was concerned...the move from Cali to Florida of the 2 Live Crew...the Geto Boys...UGK...all preceeded "Master P" and No Limit...so Texas and Memphis actually were centers of RAP long before New Orleans or ATL and as has been discussed in other forums...many of these Brothers were NOT considered part of "hip hop" culture...

9. MississippiRed

MississippiRed Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +34
    Man here it is.....the term Dirty South came from a song....that's right a song...not from the Man , not as a marketing strategy, not to describe the rural South but a song........by a cat named Cool Breeze he was on a track with GOODIE MOB I'm gonna see if I still have the CD so I can post the lyrics ...and the name stuck.....that's where it came from.....before that though we was always dutty........Dirty being a term to describe a person that's out to get theirs no matter what it take....they Dirty......before my reincarnation as Mississippi Red when I started trying...trying to live right I was Dirty Red.....I got a potna na his name is Dert....short for Derty Steve.....and as such the Derty South is bout doing what we got to do to get what we gots to get........knomtalnbout na........nothing to do with trash,dirt roads,or none of tha.......personally I don't mind it....I only mind when folk use it or ask about it or any word in the Southern Dialect and are being disrespectful or stupid about it.....

Good question Isaiah....I only wish folk that Ain't from the South would stop speaking for us like they are us........

MississippiRed
    Already

10. Omowale Jabali

United States
    Creative Industrialist
    Ratings:
    +9,585
    hey brother Red,

I got a potna in los angeles from junior high school...he was a local dj that I used to do "shotgun parties" with back in the 70s...he now owns a studio equipment rental company in hollywood...guess what we called him...."Dirt"...see bruh...the more some of these kids claim to know...the more they prove the little they know...