Black Money Business Jobs : The Decadent Veil: Black America’s Wealth Illusion

Discussion in 'Black Money Business Jobs' started by Liberty, May 14, 2017.

1. Liberty

Liberty Banned MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +3,284
    upload_2017-5-14_14-5-32.png

I write this piece following the ground work laid by W.E.B. Dubois’s
    Veil of Double Consciousness. The veil he described was a visualization of the racial duality blacks take on as part of their American identity. I now undertake the daunting task of clarifying the new veil of economics that has covered the struggles of a generation. The decadent veil looks at black Americans through a lens of group theory and seeks to explain an illusion that has taken form over a 30-year span of financial deregulation and new found access to unsecured credit. This veil is trimmed with million-dollar sports contracts, Roc Nation tour deals and designer labels made for heads of state. As black celebrity invited us into their homes through shows like MTV cribs, we forgot the condition of overall African American financial affairs. Despite a large section of the 14 million black households drowning in poverty and debt the stories of a few are told as if they represent those of millions, not thousands. It is this new veil of economics that has allowed for a broad swath of America to become not just desensitized to black poverty, but also hypnotized by black celebrity.

Read more

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/antonio-moore/the-decadent-veil-black-income-inequality_b_5646472.html
    The Decadent Veil: Black America's Wealth Illusion
    huffingtonpost.com

2. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +14,438
  3. Liberty

Liberty Banned MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +3,284
    Black America’s wealth illusion: 50 Cent and the presentation of Black celebrity
    upload_2017-5-15_11-4-4.png
    Rapper 50 Cent recently admitted
    under oath that he is insolvent, filings show he is in debt to creditors to the tune of over $28 million dollars, and not worth the reported $155 million dollars Forbes had him pegged at earlier this year.

Many have stated he is lying, pointing to purported business practices used to hide assets in bankruptcy. But I believe in the essence of the quote by Maya Angelou, “When someone shows you who they are believe them…” Or in this case when someone tells you under oath what they have, believe them.

Read more

https://newpittsburghcourieronline....nt-and-the-presentation-of-black-celebrity-2/

Black America’s wealth illusion: 50 Cent and the presentation of Bla

Rapper 50 Cent recently admitted under oath that he is insolvent, filings show he is in debt to creditors to the tune of over $28 million dollars, and not worth the reported $155 million dollars Forbe
    newpittsburghcourieronline.com

Attached Files:

• Thank You Thank You x 1
    • List
  4. Liberty

Liberty Banned MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +3,284
    There are many things wrong about this.

But, the one that makes me wanna scream is when I meet youngsters whose dream is to be a rapper, or an athlete. It is not a very attainable dream. And, no one wants to bust their bubble, but, I want' them to have attainable dreams. STEM!!!

5. Hermetic

Hermetic Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +313
    Unfortunately, understanding how unobtainable that dream is requires them to understand Mathematics. So they continue to seek out the dream that has a very minute chance of occurring while ignoring more easily plausible paths to prosperity.

6. Liberty

Liberty Banned MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +3,284
    Right. And, unfortunately, some of our youths, live in neighborhoods where the only "successful" role models they see are drug dealers. They don't get to see people going to and fro legitimate careers. So, what would you expect? If the only big money makers they see are drug dealers, that will be more attractive to them than aspiring to be AA Doctors or Lawyers, (that they have never seen). To them that would seem unattainable, even unbelievable.

And, that is where integration failed us. But, hindsight is better than foresight. We didn't know. MLK left us with a dream that was faulty, imo.

7. Liberty

Liberty Banned MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +3,284
    I can't count the number of times I have heard AA people say that the Huxtables was unbelievable. That a professional husband and a professional AA wife, just could not be! I just *smh*

8. Hermetic

Hermetic Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +313
    It is unfortunate that there are many who still believe that, even when an example is standing right in front of them.

9. Liberty

Liberty Banned MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +3,284
    Like the writer is saying, the media over-represents the mega-rich AAs to the point that many people don't understand what AA people are complaining about.

Then on the other side they love to show an over representation of AAs as criminals and no-gooders, as if to say we AAs have so many opportunities to pull ourselves up by our own bootstraps, when that is terribly hard for some people to do. And, they don't want to speak of the poverty in the black community, that sometimes leads to crime.

But, media also doesn't want to show what's in between the super rich rappers and athletes-- and the criminals....the regular everyday AA who does an honest days work.