Black People : The Debate on Race in Cuba

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by Mad Skillz, Dec 29, 2009.

1. Mad Skillz

Mad Skillz Well-Known Member MEMBER

Real Estate
    Ratings:
    +251
    Cuba is racist, says a letter signed by 60 African American and Afro-Latin notables. Undoubtedly, “racism exists in Cuba, just as it does in every other country on the planet, especially the United States.” And just as surely, those who signed the letter have put their reputations in service of the same U.S. government and Miami (white) Cuban exile crowd that has always plotted against the Cuban revolution. The author poses the question: “Is there really a civil rights movement in Cuba or is the petition merely a grandiloquent expression of Afrogringoism?”

Full Article: http://www.blackagendareport.com/?q=content/reverse-images-acrimonious-debate-race-cuba

2. awo dino

awo dino Well-Known Member MEMBER

carpenter, anthropologist, teacher. Right now I te
    Ratings:
    +1,258
    Thanks Mad Skillz, for the link. As a Latino who has visited Cuba, I found the article interesting. Although the author tends to over romantiscize life in Cuba (and Brazil), I feel he is correct in his assesment. Fidel did make the elimination of racism a central plank of his revolution. An impossible task in a racist world. I spoke wit many older black Cubans when I was there and they love Fidel and what he has done for Afro-cubans. The special period brough change in the race dynamic. I was there in 1998. With the introduction of tourism - needed to get cash dollars - Race, class and gender isues came roaring back. The jobs in the tourist industry are coveted, because you gain access to tips - in dollars. When I took a taxi in havana, if a private taxi the owner/driver could be black, white, or whatever, But the government taxi's, that have access to the tourist zones, were driven by whites. Jobs in the tourist zones are dominated by whites.
    What is of interest here is not that there is racism in Cuba. First, it stands the ideas of the Ferrer character on their head. racism has increased, or the need for the human rights movement he proposes, is needed because of capitalist changes, the opposite of his propaganda, that the revolution is racist. Then the question becomes:
    Does capitalism promote racism? Is racism an integral component of capitalism?
    Seeing that racism in Cuba is on the rise do to the introduction of capitalist change, Cuba is a perfect laboratory for this type of investigation.

I cannot believe that Maya Angelou and other African Americans could be duped into signing that letter. Amazing and hurtful.
    This would be a wonderful PhD dissertation for a young brilliant black scholar.
    ase

3. Ankhur

Ankhur Well-Known Member MEMBER

owner of various real estate concerns
    Ratings:
    +3,014
    Capitalism cannot be used as an excuse, for racism since it is the 3rd realCommunist country left in the world since Russia haveing a stock exchange and China becoming a menber of the World Bank and the Trilateral Commision.

I was shocked to hear about this beacuse Castro as ststed did promise to end racism

4. awo dino

Ratings:
    +1,258
    re-read my post again, then reconsider your response.

5. Corvo

Corvo navigator of live MEMBER

United States
    Furniture maker, a sculptor, and fight instructor
    Ratings:
    +1,771
    Castro may have promised the end of Racism in Cuba. But it’s up to all the people to implement. One can have laws against racism, but the people need to stop practicing it. Racism never left Cuba, but it was minimized due to greater equality. But once inequality is re-introduced with Capitalism, it welcomes competition, and in reverse.

6. Ankhur

Ratings:
    +3,014
    Maybe my concept of totalitarianism and comunistic communalism is wrong but

My assumption is that if one lives in a society so stringent that one cannot even whisper a crticism about the head of state and that grassroots communalism assures governmental input on every aspect of life then if they were serious about ending racism and prefferential treatmentit the government would put an end to it and make it illegal.
    As the brother said, all of the government cab drivers were white.

7. awo dino

Ratings:
    +1,258
    Corvo, you are absolutely right. To truly remove racism takes a rise in consciousness of an entire society; an erasing of 100's of years of psycho-social history. Probably impossible. But the Cuban experiment nonetheless made real surprising changes. First of all, as most of the elites left, and many wealthy whites, this alone would reduce racial apartheid. One could argue that Cuban society is one of the most racially pure in the caribbean. Much less mixing. Large white population and large black population as opposed to say the Dominican Republic, which has a large mixed population. Strict glass ceiling for blacks before the revolution, but after, most of those whites left, so there was room for movement on that front. But the reduction of black inequality due to government educational as well as institutional changes had real results as well.

Putney, your assumptions are based on popular belief - propaganda - from the U.S. government. Pretty much whatever the U.S. government says about an enemy counrty, you can believe the opposite and be closer to reality. That's what is so cool about going and seeing with your own eyes. It's not all stringent as we believe. The government doesn't have the resources to be everywhere in your stuff like our government. As long as you don't criticise the government, they leave you alone. The system is a failure, of course, as communism at the level of the state is impossible. But the idea of a government so powerful they could erase racism from the memory of a people is absurd. It is illegal, of course, but as Castro loses his grip, those in government start going against his policies and reverting back to the corrupt racist situation which is their natural point of equilibrium.
    Someone could argue that if Castro had truly made any real change, whites would not be in a position where they could so easily return to the old society. Others could say that it is inevitable regardless of the magnitude of change as racism is inherent in a capitalist situation. It is no accident that concurrent with changes in class structure, came changes in race dynamics.
    Race, class, gender. The logic of Marxist social analysis.

8. Ankhur

Ratings:
    +3,014
    Thanks for the correction

And if what you say is correct after Castro dies the drug cartels will be back there as in the time of Batista and the fruit companies will be back for exploitation.

it will become just like China is now no free education or free health care and rampant unemployment

9. THE-GOD

THE-GOD Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +128
    racially LATINO doesn't exist, when you call yourself LATINO your calling yourself a ROMAN/EUROPEAN/ the enemy.

that being said caucasions are caucasions be they spainard (the white inhibabnts of cuba) russian french german etc.

10. awo dino

Ratings:
    +1,258
    brotha The God, these "racial" terms all suck. Or is it an ethnic term?
    Some would say the idea of race doesn't exist either. It is not scientific, that is. Latino is what people recognize; if you got a better term that people will recognize, let's have it. I don't like the term any more than I like "Asian." I am Puerto Rican and I know that the Spanish Caribean is a lot different culturally than South America, but, it is what it is. Puerto Ricans are a mix of European, Native American and African, same as many African Americans in the U.S.
    Is there a Latino consciousness?
    that's a good question.