Omowale Jabali : The Dark Tree

KaHotep

Feb 17, 2013
Younger cats like Terrace Martin are really coming up putting much jazz into the game now. I hang on to producers like Quik, Easy Mo Bee, DJ Slip, Battlecat, Warren G and Big Hutch instrumentals of the funk cause they lace it with jazz and blues to an extreme scale. They really bend notes using trigonometry and these brothaz never went to school for it except Terrace Martin. It really grew on me to not attend school for music either and dig into myself. That's when I started to feel the vibe and just play an instrument. I played my first acoustic guitar like about four years ago but could not write sheet music for it. I tapped into writing sheet music for ebony and ivory keys seven years ago on my own when I had a little studio in Europe; I use to scout out for the Jazz shows and just listen. As a drummer, I really didn't feel the need to write sheet music as I knew a beat is the heartbeat and can be reflipped in so many ways. I still know how to play the flute but I want to buy a saxophone though! Love the sax. I was teaching my niece how to play her ebony flute about a couple months ago. She's only 5. I'm a fan of the double bass to the heart...I remember at a show in D.C. this smoove ole school brotha was funky with it and I was studying his movement of the fingers and kinda like timing the reverb too. And my girl at that time was like she couldn't believe I didn't drink my henny shots cause I was so tuned in to the music. And I looked back on those moments and was like...music comfort my soul and replaces everything else negative for me. Like I had real soggy relationships and when I use to visit my grandma on my father's side of the tree, she be like "when are going to have some children and where's your wife?" I told grandma that my family was musical instruments because they make a greater impact on me for the best; plus when they out of tune I get to care for them rather than they trying to fight me about it. Harmony. Keep these rolling out higher homie....

Omowale Jabali

The Cosmic Journeyman
Sep 29, 2005
Temple of Kali, Yubaland
Occupation
Creative Industrialist
Younger cats like Terrace Martin are really coming up putting much jazz into the game now. I hang on to producers like Quik, Easy Mo Bee, DJ Slip, Battlecat, Warren G and Big Hutch instrumentals of the funk cause they lace it with jazz and blues to an extreme scale. They really bend notes using trigonometry and these brothaz never went to school for it except Terrace Martin. It really grew on me to not attend school for music either and dig into myself. That's when I started to feel the vibe and just play an instrument. I played my first acoustic guitar like about four years ago but could not write sheet music for it. I tapped into writing sheet music for ebony and ivory keys seven years ago on my own when I had a little studio in Europe; I use to scout out for the Jazz shows and just listen. As a drummer, I really didn't feel the need to write sheet music as I knew a beat is the heartbeat and can be reflipped in so many ways. I still know how to play the flute but I want to buy a saxophone though! Love the sax. I was teaching my niece how to play her ebony flute about a couple months ago. She's only 5. I'm a fan of the double bass to the heart...I remember at a show in D.C. this smoove ole school brotha was funky with it and I was studying his movement of the fingers and kinda like timing the reverb too. And my girl at that time was like she couldn't believe I didn't drink my henny shots cause I was so tuned in to the music. And I looked back on those moments and was like...music comfort my soul and replaces everything else negative for me. Like I had real soggy relationships and when I use to visit my grandma on my father's side of the tree, she be like "when are going to have some children and where's your wife?" I told grandma that my family was musical instruments because they make a greater impact on me for the best; plus when they out of tune I get to care for them rather than they trying to fight me about it. Harmony. Keep these rolling out higher homie....

Beautiful read my brotha...keep that musical spirit alive within your Soul.

Big Hutch...cold 187....that Riverside/Pomona crew molded the G-Funk sound. Good looking out.

Consciousness Raising Online!

Allow the N Word - yes or no?

• yes

Votes: 2 14.3%
  • no

Votes: 6 42.9%
  • not sure

Votes: 6 42.9%

Latest profile posts

Feeling good today fam...just been reading a couple of books. I think Dennis Kimbro's "Daily Motivations for African American Success" is one of the best motivational books on the market. This book has motivation for each day of the year on each page and all of these relate to your own Blackness. No matter what you're experiencing there's something in that book you could draw from. ✊
Life is a poem, love is the pen.
Charles Thompson wrote on Enki's profile.
Good evening
Destee wrote on Angela22's profile.
Hi Sweetie Pie Honey Bunch!!!! ... :dance4: ... Welcome Home! So good to have your sweet Spirit in the house! ... YAAAAAAY USSSSS! ... :yaay: :yaay: :swings: ... :heart:
Angela22 wrote on Enki's profile.
I hope all is well with you. Much love.:love: