Black Spirituality Religion : The Dark Mother vs The Sun God

Alexandra

REGISTERED MEMBER
Sep 13, 2008
Elder Sekhemu,

(Please don’t be alarmed by the title, I shall address it at some point)

I have been thinking about what you wrote in response to my comment on the potency of blood in rituals, specifically;

Originally Posted by Sekhemu
Yes and no. The occultist (magickian) may be able to manipulate a host of spirits for himself or others while living in the physical realm, but post-mortem is a whole different ball of wax, no put intended.

After he or she makes the transition to the spiritual realm, they'll experience the very same mysery and the havoc they caused in the land of the living, over and over and over, until someone or something sends them light.

and it is with this in mind that I seek to open a theological dialogue (as opposed to an ethical one) one that is free of a triumphalist attitude (on my part) in order to learn from you. True dialogue also means a reciprocal exposure of differences, and ultimately embracing said differences, and it is my sincere hope that you share this sentiment.

To this end, I would like to know what your thoughts are on the old order of a universal Great Goddess/the Dark Mother. In your capacity as an advanced ATR practitioner, do you revere/worship Her?

Best wishes,

Alexandra

Elder Sekhemu,

(Please don’t be alarmed by the title, I shall address it at some point)

I have been thinking about what you wrote in response to my comment on the potency of blood in rituals, specifically;

and it is with this in mind that I seek to open a theological dialogue (as opposed to an ethical one) one that is free of a triumphalist attitude (on my part) in order to learn from you. True dialogue also means a reciprocal exposure of differences, and ultimately embracing said differences, and it is my sincere hope that you share this sentiment.

To this end, I would like to know what your thoughts are on the old order of a universal Great Goddess/the Dark Mother. In your capacity as an advanced ATR practitioner, do you revere/worship Her?

Best wishes,

Alexandra

Modupe Alexandria

Wow, I'm really flattered that you thought enough of me to reach out and extend yourself for a sincere and constructive meeting of the minds :). That being said, I have an understanding of what the Great Goddess does and is, however help me understand more about the Dark Mother, maybe my ignorance is predicated on simple semantics.

Modupe Alexandria

Wow, I'm really flattered that you thought enough of me to reach out and extend yourself for a sincere and constructive meeting of the minds :). That being said, I have an understanding of what the Great Goddess does and is, however help me understand more about the Dark Mother, maybe my ignorance is predicated on simple semantics.

Apologies for the tardy response Elder S. I needed to source a particular book from which to quote a succint introduction to what I believe to be an accurate summary on the Great Mother. As usual, a caveat is prudent; I am a novice in these matters, so treat my ignorance with indulgent humour.

"In the beginnning, there precipitated out of the void nothing but a matter that was finer and more subtle than light, then an exceptionally fine gas. If the human eye had been looking at the dawn of history it would have been a vast cosmic mist.

This gas or mist was the Mother of All Living, carrying everything needed for the creation of life. The Mother Goddess, as she was sometimes also called, will metamorphose in the course of this history and assume many different forms, many different names, but for now 'the earth was without form and void'.

Now for history's first great reversal of fortune. The Bible (blech, I hate to quote it but it does help to place things into perspective quite nicely' narrative continues: 'Darkness was upon the face of the earth. According to biblical commentators working within the esoteric tradition (as opposed to your garden variety preacher man) this is the Bible's way of saying that the Mother Goddes was attacked by a searing dry wind that almost extinguished the potential for life together.

Again to the human eye, it would have looked as if the mist was overtaking by a second emanation. This second emanation would become the god of Saturn. To cut a long story short, this god was eventually overthrown by the seven gold Sun god (seven refers to the seven sun spirits which make up his nature. In Egypt, they are called the Seven Spirits of Ra, and in Hebrew; the Seven Powers of Light) which then warms Mother Earth into life.

Your thoughts?
A

Apologies for the tardy response Elder S. I needed to source a particular book from which to quote a succint introduction to what I believe to be an accurate summary on the Great Mother. As usual, a caveat is prudent; I am a novice in these matters, so treat my ignorance with indulgent humour.

Now for history's first great reversal of fortune. The Bible (blech, I hate to quote it but it does help to place things into perspective quite nicely' narrative continues: 'Darkness was upon the face of the earth. According to biblical commentators working within the esoteric tradition (as opposed to your garden variety preacher man) this is the Bible's way of saying that the Mother Goddes was attacked by a searing dry wind that almost extinguished the potential for life together.

Again to the human eye, it would have looked as if the mist was overtaking by a second emanation. This second emanation would become the god of Saturn. To cut a long story short, this god was eventually overthrown by the seven gold Sun god (seven refers to the seven sun spirits which make up his nature. In Egypt, they are called the Seven Spirits of Ra, and in Hebrew; the Seven Powers of Light) which then warms Mother Earth into life.

Your thoughts?
A

From what I can discern the dark mother has more to do with a state of being and less to do with notion of good vs.bad

Naturally I can't speak to the biblical and kemetic refernce in your post, but what I can do is offer a Yoruba creation account illustrating glaring similarities to aforementioned.

In the beginning the world was a watery, formless "chaos" that was neither see nor land, but a marshy waste. Above it, in the sky, Olorun (king of heaven eye of God) called Obatala into his presence and ordered him to make a world. It was time to make solid land. And obatala was given a snail shell full of earth full of ase, a pigeon, and a five-toed hen to accomplish this task. Obatala came down from orun to the chaos and set to work organizing it. He placed the earth into a small patch. The pigeon and the hen began to scratch in the earth, and they scratched until the until the created land from sea.

When obatala returned to olorun to report on his work, a chameleon was sent to inspect the job. The chameleon reported good things and Olorun, satisfied with the good report, dispatched Obatala to finish. The finished place is none other the ile-ife.

The making of the earth took 4 days, on the 5th, Obatala rested from his work.

Obatala was sent back to earth to plant trees, including the first palm oil tree. Olorun made rain fall from heaven to water the seeds, which grew into a great forest.

In Heaven (orun) Olorun began to make the first people. They were fashioned from earth by Obatala, but only Olorun could give them life. Obatala hid in Olorun's workshop to watch. However, Olorun knew Obatala was hiding there and put him into a deep sleep, and so only Olorun knows the secret of how to bring a body to life. Obatala through the agents of parents, makes the body, but only Olorun can give life

After reading this account there are a few things that I can elaborate on, particuliarly as it relates to the whole idea of light. However, I'm going to reserve my commentary to take the opportunity to ask YOU what does this story tell you in relation to evolution of man and cosmos.

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back