Black Women : the dark ages?

Discussion in 'Black Women - Mothers - Sisters - Daughters' started by jamesfrmphilly, May 15, 2005.

1. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,745
    I was walking through the mall and I heard all these terrible cries from a child.
    I would think anyone can tell when a child is in distress and not just fussing.
    however I was the only one who reacted to the childs cries.

turns out, they have this little girl about 5 or 6 up in the cheap jewelry store and the salesclerk was jabbing something at her ear to pierce it.
    the child was miserable and the stupid mother was holding the child down.
    straight out of the dark ages.

I stopped them from jabbing the child and cussed them all out on the child's behalf.
    they called mall security who tryed to take me away but I refused to leave that child there.
    by then some people in the crowd came to my defense and we had a stand off with the security.
    so security called the regular police, but since 911 is such a joke I was able to walk away before the police showed up.

it saddened me that a black mother is so out of touch that she can not tell when her child is in true distress.

2. karmashines

karmashines Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +19
    Didn't you get in the trouble with the law once before? You really need to calm down so things won't get worse for you legally.

As far as the situation... a lot of people get their kids ears pierced. That's their kid, and their own choice. I personally don't agree with piercing a kids ears at 5, but again that's an individual thing.

I got my ears pierced as a baby. I have no memory of it and do not consider my parents having abused me.

3. panafrica

panafrica Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +194
    BrotherJamesfrmPhilly

Sometimes we do the wrong things for the right reason. It is admirable that you wanted to stop a child from suffering. Too many people turn a blind eye to people in need. However to interfere with a mother & her child, there has to be a serious reason. In this case the girl might have been scared...the salesclerk might not have known what they were doing...but a child getting her ear's pierce is not considered abuse. As noble as your intentions were, most people would not side with you in this situation. Indeed you placed yourself in situation that you could have been arrested for...for what? The mother didn't appreciate your efforts, and the little girl will probably get her ear's pierced anyway. I think it would be better to write an editorial about how barbaric ear piercing is, rather than to place yourself in physical danger like that. Something to think about!

4. jamesfrmphilly

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,745
    it is true that i have a hot head.
    i accept responsibility for that.

i believe, however, that if a child is crying like that, something is wrong.
    i respect the mother's rights with her child but i believe that no parent has the right to abuse their child.
    some of the people who were there who also heard the child's screams did back me up.

maybe i was wrong but i couldn't stand there and watch a baby be hurt.
    do you believe a parent has unlimited right to hurt their child?

maybe i was wrong.

5. Nisa

Nisa Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +31
    Ear piercings hurt. Maybe the little girl was scared of what the pain would feel like. Shoot Oprah just got her ears pierced..if she wasnt on national tv when she got them peirced..someone mightve had to hold her down too :lol:

6. indya

indya Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +23
    Well, I probably wouldn't have said anything, just shook my head as I walked by.
    I do hate to see people getting their little girls ears pierced. I think many people have them done so strangers can tell their babies are girls. Silly reason as far as I'm conserned...dress them in pink.

My daughter asked to have her ears pierced when she was 7 and I took her to have them done. She yelped a little bit, but it was her choice and she was happy she had them done.

7. jamesfrmphilly

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,745
    i want to add that the child was screaming with what i thought was a sincere distress.

8. river

river Watch Her Flow MEMBER

United States
    Author
    Ratings:
    +1,290
    Brotha of those others who backed you up how many of them put themselves in danger by interfering with the security?

Some people think just spanking a child is abusive and barbaric.

We don't want to discourage you from being compassionate and proactive but we do want to encourage you to think responsibly before you act not just say you are responsible after the chips come down.

9. jamesfrmphilly

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,745
    several did, that's why i was able to walk away.

it's a tough decision for me.
    i need to be less aggressive, true, but i will always try to protect a child.

would you walk by and let a child be hurt?
    do you just ignore the screams?
    is this what we have become?

10. river

river Watch Her Flow MEMBER

United States
    Author
    Ratings:
    +1,290
    Right now over in the Open Forum Brothha Cedric is preaching about we no longer willing to go to jail for what we believe in as out ancestors were. Now am I going to join the day crowd and discourage a brother who is willing? Nope uh uh

I should erase all that stuff in my signature about getting out of the boat if I'm going to do that.