Black People : The Dangers Of SLANG

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by Khonsu, Mar 26, 2006.

1. Khonsu

Khonsu Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +1
    This disease is called SLANG. Why is it a disease?
    Because it destroys a certain part of the brain making you retarded (slowness of mental development in children).

Before we can continue with the effect SLANG has on you, lets first determine what SLANG is.
    According to “A Comprehensive Etymological Dictionary of The English Language”, the origin of SLANG is form sling and means “to sling jaw, to abuse with words”.

In "Webster’s New Twentieth Century Dictionary Unabridged” SLANG is defined as: "originally the specialized vocabulary and idioms of criminals, tramps, etc., the purpose of which was to disguise form outsiders the meaning of what was said”.

And "Encyclopedia Britannica” states SLANG is: informal, non-standard language typically composed of colourful, exaggerated metaphors, newly coined words, or words phrases that have slightly changed from their normal form.
    Used to express particular emotional attitudes (e.g. hostility, ridicule, sometimes affection) to satirize certain individuals or groups, to shock others, and to attract attention.

Although SLANG originated from criminals and tramps, it has spread to the average person as a common language of everyday life to express hostile emotions.
    Not just in America, SLANG is used all over the world in countries such as France, Italy, Romania and Germany.
    Dialect is also considered a form of SLANG. Yiddish is slang for Hebrew, Pat'ois is SLANG for French and Cockney is SLANG for Queens English.

Yes, right in ‘Webster’s Collegiate Thesaurus’ it states: slang n. syn Dialect, a form of language that is not recognized as standard.

Idioms are also considered as a form of SLANG because it is a phrase or expression whose meaning can not be overstood from ordinary meanings of words, and so is lingo.
    Lingo is any speech regarded as outlandish or queer. So no matter what titles you may use, Dialect, Idioms or lingo, that are all nothing more than SLANG.

Now let’s go to the main issue of this article, it’s dangers. You may not realise it, but SLANG affects the way you act, the way you speak, the way you dress, the way you think, as a matter of fact it affects your entire life. Speaking in SLANG lowers the IQ (intelligence quotient), and causes mental deficiency, simply called retardation.

Take a look at the way people who use slang dress – clothes on backwards and hanging off, shoes untied, things you would relation to a person that has a mental deficiency.

“Taber’s Cyclopedic Medical Dictionary’ defines and describes the level of IQ’s as:

Mild IQ: 70-85, Functional Impairment, individual formerly classified as a borderline and having lower level of dull normal intelligence, can do labouring jobs.

Moderate IQ: 50-70, Intellectual capacity that of 7-12 years old, limited social adjustment, special training and guidance required.

Severe IQ: 50 – 0, Intellectual capacity does not exceed that od a 7 year old, custodial or complete care required.

In testing the average child from the ghetto, he would score between moderate and severe because he doesn’t use correct grammar and he can’t articulate, which means that he doesn’t express himself properly through words.
    Although they are taught English and grammar in school, the majority of their life is spent speaking SLANG.

They hear it the first thing in the morning from their brothers and sisters, or maybe even their parents.
    They hear SLANG in school and on the streets from their peers, and they also hear it on the television (tel – lie – vision, tells you lies visually) and the radio. School books are difficult to read for children who use SLANG instead of their native tongue, because they’ve somewhat isolated themselves from mainstream society by not being able to articulate.

SLANG replaces common words and their meaning in the language part of the brain, making it almost impossible to converse with a person with good diction.
    This could be the prime reason people aren’t able to communicate with people from different backgrounds or different areas, because their conversation if different.
    The same things occurs with the generation gap. Parents and children are not able to communicate because of the way they speak and the things they talk about.

Another dangerous fact of this disease is the unpronounced double Ts (bottle, settle, pretty pronounced bo’le, se’le or pre’y).

Take for instance the Television (Tel – Lie – Vision, lie to you visually) sitcom ‘Martin’, instead of pronouncing the ‘T’ in Martin, he is called Mar’in. On the same show they use words like “nuh’in, gi’in”, instead of “nothing or getting”. Millions of young children are watching programs like this throughout the U.S and growing up thinking that this is the proper and acceptable way to speak.

What if a life or death message using the correct pronunciation was broadcast, do you think that it would be overstood by those who speak SLANG? No they wouldn’t and the result just might be their deaths or maybe even yours.

The usage of SLANG affects the Broca’s (Broka) area of the brain that gives us overstanding of languages, with language expression being the function of motor control. Say for instance the weather broadcast for the day said “Today will be hotter than yesterday”, Broca’s area doesn’t pick up the word ‘hotter, the T’s would have to be removed (ha’da) in order for something simple as the weather getting hotter to be overstood.
    The brain has stopped picking up the letters that are not used in the correct pronunciation of words.

This is the area of the brain that helps you to overstand words you hear and see. ‘Taber’s Cyclopedic Medical Dictionary’ defines the Broca’s Area as:

Broca’s Area: (Broka) {Pierre Paul Broca, French Surgeon, 1824-1880, on left side of the brain, controlling movement of tongue, vocal cords and motor of speech.

The front left portion of the brain is called the ‘Inferior Frontal Gyrus’. It overstands spoken and written languages and is towards an area called the Motor Cortex that represents the way the muscles are joined to help the speech muscles in the face, tongue, lips, palate and vocal cords. Speech can be slowed down as in retardation, which is a delayed mental response due to a variety of pathological conditions. The Wernicke’s Area, located in the Superior Temporal Gyrus across from Auditory Cortex organizes words into aural form. It gives the brain the ability to remember the patterns of a spoken language. This information is then sent by fibers to Broca’s Area and this is where you learn to articulate and phrases are formed.

You must understand that nay part of your body that is not being used, your brain will cut it off, just like it never existed. The same think applies to your brain, the Broca’s area will cut off anything that you don’t use.

Eventually when a message is sent through the radio or the Television using the correct grammar and pronunciation only a certain class of people will overstand. More and more we can see why speaking correct grammar is no only important, it is beneficial and a conditioning factor to why most inner city residents can’t get jobs: they have poor diction (a manner of expressing ideas in words, speaking or writing).

A very important issue that everyone is overlooking is that out children are the victims of what is drastically exaggerated and promoted through rap, SLANG. The people in the media are well aware of its effects, yet it is still promotes the use of SLANG through video programs such as Rap City, M.T.V, Radio broadcasts – B.E.T and magazines – The Source (The Magazine of Hip Hop Music, culture & Politics), Rip and HHC (Hip Hop Connection).

Any inconceivable thing you would not want your child to say or hear comes through that medium of music. Not only does it distort the language, it also teaches hate, promiscuity, violence, war and destruction, through a language only known to people who understand SLANG.

SLANG may have started out with unconventional words or phrases that express something old anew way.
    However, it has developed into a sick, malicious vulgar language that might even shock to devil, and it’s spreading fast throughout the world.

The youth of today use the most vulgar and abusive terms in just everyday conversation.
    Calling each other names only used for low life people jus to say hello or how good you look, and yes, cursing is most definitely SLANG.

It’s like a drug and it is so addictive that it has become more than a bad habit, it has become a way of life

The parents are the ones who teach their children their first words, either by directly teaching them, or the children imitating that they see and hear from their parents.

One of the phrases used is: “Whus up Ock”. Part of the Syriac/Arabic word ‘A-khun’ meaning brother, was taken and added with the English SLANG and came up with that phrase.

They could have just said, “How are you today brother?” Here’s another one: “I’m jetting to the Tab”, when they could have just said, “I’m going to the Tabernacle”.

Now if someone form another country, or another state, or even another area, came here and heard you speak, they wouldn’t know what you were talking about.

It happened in the scriptures, with Moses realising the importance of proper speaking. Moses was raised as an Egiptian so his speech was different that his fellow Israelites.

Being aware of this, he asked that his brother Aaron, who had a better diction to help him or the Israelites would not have overstood, nor would they have listened or trusted him.

The Koran 28:34

WA (AND) AK-KHEE (MY BROTHER) HAAROON (AARON) HUWA (HE IS) AFSAHU (MORE PURE) MIN-EE (THAN ME) LESAAN-NAAN (TONGUE) FA-ARSEL-HU (SO SEND HIM) MA-EE-YA (WITH ME) RID-AAN (AS A SUPPORTER) YUSAD-DIQU-NEE (SO HE TRUSTS IN ME) IN-NEE (SURELY I) AKHAAFU (FEAR) AN (THAT) YUKAZ-ZIB0BOONEE (THEY WOULD LIE ON ME).

“And My Brother Aaron, He Is Purer Than I In His Speech.
    So Make Him The Apostle To Accompany Me As My Translator.
    He Is Of The Sokdokites, And Surely I Fear That They Will Tell Lies On Me

This is supported in Exodus 4:10 and 4:14

Exodus 4:10

AND MO-SHEH (MOSES) AW-MAR (SAID) UNTO EL YAHUWA, O MY ADONAI, I AM JUST EESH (MALE LIVING BEING), GAM (NEITHER) TEM-OLE (SINCE), GAM (NOR) AWZ (SINCE) YOU HAVE DAW-BAR (SPOKEN) UNTO YOU EH’-BED (MALE SERVANT): BUT I AMKAW-BADE (HESITANT OF FEH (SPEECH), AND OF A KAK-BADE (SLOW) LAW-SHONE (TALKER)

“And Moses Said To El Yahuwa: O My Adonai, Master, I Am Just A Male Living Being, Human, Neither Then Nor Since, You Have Spoken To Your Slave: But I Am Hesitant To Speak, And I Am A Very Slow Speaker.”

Exodus 4:14

AND THE AF (ANGER) OF YAHUWA WAS KHAW-RAW (KINDLED) AGAINST MO-SHEH (MOSES) AND HE AW-MAR’ SAID), IS NOT A-HAR-ONE (ACTIVE AARON) THE LAY-WEE-EE (LEVITE) YOUR AWKH (BROTHER)? I YAW-DAH (KNOW) THAT HE CAN DAW-BAR (SPEAK) WELL. AND GAM (ALSO) HIN-NAY THERE, HE YAW-TSAW (COME FORTH) TO QEEW-AW (MEET) YOU AND WHEN HE RAW-AW (SEE YOU IN PERSON), HE WILL BE SAW-MAY’AKH (GLAD), IN HIS LABE (HEART).

“At This Yahuwa Became Angry With Moses And Said “What About Your Brother Aaron, The Levite?
    I Know That He Can Speak Well. In Fact He Is Now Coming To Meet You And Will Glad To See You”

Not only that, some of you are even dressing the part, wearing oversized sloopy clothing and your shoes untied.

When young children see you, should they want to emulate you by the way you dress and speak?
    Are you able to approach various classes of peole by the way you dress?

If they move away from you and hold on to their bags, then something is definitely wrong. Think about it! What images do you portray to the public?

The way you carry yourself affects everyone around you. And the sad part about all of this is that, the way you dress and the way you peak influences small innocent children who grow up thinking that this is acceptable behaviour.
    If we don’t treat this disease right now it could mean, not only the end of our children having a place in society, but the end of generations of mentally healthy children.

2. pfa1451usa

pfa1451usa Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +1
    Great post Khnosu...

Dr Bill Cosby Speaks at the 50th Anniversary commemoration of the Brown vs Topeka Board of Education Supreme Court Decision...

"And these people are not parenting. They’re buying things for the kid. $500 sneakers, for what? They won’t buy or spend $250 on Hooked on Phonics."