Black People : The Danger of Defining What it Means to be Black

river

Watch Her Flow
REGISTERED MEMBER
Mar 22, 2004
Where the Niger meets the Nile
Occupation
Author
I was going over old school songs and singers with a friend of mine the other day. To my surprise, she rejected The Commodores, Dionne Warwick and Lou Rawls as not being Black enough. Everybody has a right to like or not like whatever suits them. Yet, I see a danger with over defining what it means to be Black.

Actually, doing this does more to divide Black people than excepting our diversity. The more strictly we define what it means to be Black, the more Black people will find themselves excluded from that definition. Plus, these definitions of how we walk and talk, sing and act. what foods we eat and what we believe. are mostly based on caricatures and stereotypes invented by White people. A lot of the music we call "crossover" is based on styles stolen from us by whites and claimed for their own.

Diversity doesn't cause division. Exclusion causes division. Defining ourselves in unrealistic boxes cause division. Refusing to grow causes division. Letting others determine what we think of as common sense causes division.

This has been a public service message brought to you by Da river.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
C Black People : Kanye West Js A Greater Danger To Black Afrikan People Black People Open Forum 0
willa Black People Politics : A Clear and Present Danger... Black People Politics 67
Al D Black People : The Danger Of Dependency Black People Open Forum 8
Clyde C Coger Jr Health and Wellness : Study Warns Of Danger African American Hairstyles Pose Black Health and Wellness 1
hilosun Black People : EVACUATE THE U.S.A.-African Americans-Danger Brutality Discrimination Black People Open Forum 6
Kamau47 Black People : Voting Right Act In Danger Black People Open Forum 9
Writeous1 Black People : The Great Tribulation of the Dollar - You're In Danger!!! Black People Open Forum 22
Chief Elder Osiris Chief Elder Osiris : The Phoniness And Danger Of Religion. Chief Elder Osiris 0
1poetsought Black Poetry : A Clear and Present Danger Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 0
MsInterpret Black People : 'Danger' Akuku Dies and Leaves Behind 100 Widows Black People Open Forum 6
gogounited Black People : The Very Real Danger Behind the Teabag Party Black People Open Forum 3
river Aerobics ~ The Danger of Breathing Through Your Mouth Black Health and Wellness 2
Amnat77 Black People : Chimamanda Adichie: The danger of a single story Black People Open Forum 7
SpiritualONE Black People : Danger, Free, and Funny!!! Black People Open Forum 0
P Black People : The danger of Geneticaly Modified foods Black People Open Forum 3
Chief Elder Osiris Chief Elder Osiris : THE GREATER DANGER TO BLACK PEOPLE, IS WHEN WE DO NOT VIEW OURSELVES AS VICTIMS OF RA Chief Elder Osiris 3
Chief Elder Osiris Chief Elder Osiris : THE GREATER DANGER TO BLACK PEOPLE, IS WHEN WE DO NOT VIEW OURSELVES AS VICTIMS OF RA Chief Elder Osiris 0
Keita Kenyatta Black People : Evidence of the Danger of Truth Black People Open Forum 1
Keita Kenyatta Black People : The Danger of Knowledge and Truth Black People Open Forum 0
Akilah Unseen Danger In Bagged Salads Black Health and Wellness 3
V Pan Africanism : afro columbian in danger in columbia African American History Culture 1
V Pan Africanism : afro columbian in danger in columbia African American History Culture 3
P Black Entertainment : Mos Def - "The New Danger" Black Entertainment 5
N The Danger of Being A Black Man Black Men 14
M Black Poetry : Danger of my green :wink: Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 8
A DANGER ON THE DOWN LOW... Black Health and Wellness 21
S Black Poetry : scratch this danger zone Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 4
Clyde C Coger Jr Black People Politics : Why ‘Black Panther’ Is a Defining Moment for Black America - Dora Milaje, the Dahomey Amazons Black People Politics 11
Writspirit Black People : Defining the New Cougar Black People Open Forum 0
MsInterpret Audio Video Web Conferencing : destee.tv : TWA: DEFINING MY CURLS (Requested) Audio Video Web Conferencing 0
Chief Elder Osiris Chief Elder Osiris : SISTERS DEFINING SISTERS Chief Elder Osiris 2
I Black People : Identity:The perplexity of defining yourself.(please read) Black People Open Forum 50
Chief Elder Osiris Chief Elder Osiris : Sisters Defining Sisters Chief Elder Osiris 6
Blackbird Black Spirituality Religion : Defining Spirituality Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 5
OldSoul Black People : What it means to be Black in Brazil Black People Open Forum 0
HODEE Black People Politics : Steal the Vote By any Means - these were received by voters in N. C. on August 13, 2020 Black People Politics 0
Clyde C Coger Jr Africa : What the massive locust swarm in Africa and the Middle East means to the US All Things Africa 9
Fine1952 Black Ancestors : Equality, Freedom, and Justice By Any Means Necessary versus Nonviolence Honoring Black Ancestors 4
Ndugu Black Entertainment : Watch the Watchmen, by Any Means Necessary Black Entertainment 2
Clyde C Coger Jr Black People Politics : Mitch McConnell Says Obama's Election Means We Don't Need Reparations Black People Politics 8
Clyde C Coger Jr Law Forum : Kavanaugh's Dissent In Louisiana's Abortion Case Means Trouble For Roe v. Wade Law Forum - Prisons - Gun Ownership 1
HODEE Black People : The end of net neutrality: What it all means Black People Open Forum 5
The_Revolutionist Black Money Business Jobs : When building your business means hiding that it's black-owned Black Money Business Jobs 16
chuck African American History Culture : What Does It Means To Labelled As African-American In 2017? African American History Culture 14
1poetsought Black Poetry : Means of Latitude Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 1
chuck Black People Politics : Always the MEANS must JUSTIFY the ENDS!! Black People Politics 0
chuck Black People : Only When We Resolve Our Issues Via Progressive Means We Can Expect Positive Results!!! Black People Open Forum 1
Jahari Kavi Black Spirituality Religion : Freemasonry & What It Means to Black Men: Part I Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 14
chuck The Front Porch : the means must justify the ends too The Front Porch 0
RAPTOR Black People : I am Not Latina! Calling ourselves latino means genocide!-Mexica Movement Black People Open Forum 6