Black People : The Council of Elders

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by Destee, Aug 27, 2007.

1. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,677
    Peace and Blessings Family,

In this post, Brother O mentions "The Council of Elders" as though an official one exists, which is very exciting to me.

Is there one? I would be so happy to learn that there is.

With the judicial system treating us the way they do, it seems to me that we should have a Council of Elders, or some group of respected and esteemed Sisters and Brothers, that we could go to when there is a disagreement or situation that needs help in resolving ... thereby, bypassing the (justice) system that is in place, that mistreats us regularly.

Okay ... so is there an official Council of Elders?

If not, do you think we should have one? Do you think it would be good?

I think it would be GREAT!

The way i imagine it in my mind, is that those on the Council, would be chosen by the people, based on their consistent display of fairness and wisdom (and perhaps other things as well).

We could nominate and vote for those we want. Maybe they could have a period of time, where they remain, maybe a year or two or something like that. Or we could even determine that they could sit on the Council for life, i don't know. Whatever the majority decides.

If we had such a council as this, who would you nominate to be on the Council of Elders?

This is all speculative of course, but nomination would not depend on Membership at Destee, as this Council would / could serve all of our people, as far-reaching as possible. So please, don't limit your nominations to just destee Members.

I'm thinking we could actually create such a Council, petition nominees for their interest and participation, and use it to settle disputes amongst Sisters and Brothers. Of course all those seeking the Council's help, would be bound by their decision. We would have a place to go, where we could feel comfortable in receiving fair and honest resolution.

What do you all think?

Is there one already, that i just don't know about? Who would you want to see on the Council?

Looking forward to your responses.

Much Love and Peace.

:heart:

Destee

2. Goddess Auset333

Goddess Auset333 Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +23
    Beloved Queen Destee.

Such a Council is past due, but there is much that come with such an important decision.

Those we NEED. Want haven't gotten us no where except where we are Now. NO Where, fast.

When we have that which we NEED, all that we Want is wrapped up in that NEED (everlasting), and we will not just Want (temporal).

:SuN030: :SuN030: :SuN030:

3. Metaverse

Metaverse Well-Known Member MEMBER

Media Designer
    Ratings:
    +424
    There seems to be a significant amount of uses for this "title" online.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Council_of_Elders

I haven't found any one yet that addresses us (Africans in America) directly, I could be wrong and I'll doing some more searches on it later.

Personally, I think Destee.com is providing a good template towards such a "Council" - even for those ones I've seen online- one must wonder how effective their are, as far as transferring virtual thoughts into real world action.

There is a "Council of Elders" right here on Destee.com. I would love to see the process of nominating these people, just as you have Moderators for different forums.

I will be meditating on my list of people I think would be perfect for this Council, some of you already know you are on the list.

Let's share this vision.
    Can Destee.com become the marketplace for African collective thought?

[​IMG]

From my estimates, these States in America can be held in the highest consideration. What you are looking at is the same maps White companies and Businesses use to target us as a demographic for their products.

Any ideas what we can do with this? I have a few....

4. Goddess Auset333

Goddess Auset333 Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +23
    Beloved MWkg MS
    :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

I agree.

Often what we seek is right in the midst of us.

:SuN040: :SuN040: :qqb023:

5. oldiesman

oldiesman Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +120
    in most families one already exist,it's called[grandmother-grandfather-uncle-aunt]but in todays society where the young seldom if ever listen to these learned ancestors,having a chosen council would make little difference.

6. Metaverse

Metaverse Well-Known Member MEMBER

Media Designer
    Ratings:
    +424
    Growing up in Harlem I had a Council of Elders who watched the block. All my movements and use of language were recorded by them, and testimonies about my behavior could be presented to my Parents and Family at any given moment.

I learned quickly to stay under the watchful wing of the Council. I felt safe. I felt secure. It is natural for a child to bond with Elders. One spirit is entering into the world, and one is preparing to leave.

One of our greatest crimes to date as a nation is that we have forgotten our Elders. We deny them also the right to pass on their wealth of wisdom and knowledge to us before they leave this Earth. Within them, there is data no College can teach.

We can blame the youth. We can say the Youth do not listen to the Elders. Truthfully who taught them this? We have Parents who have said “I will not raise my child the way my Mother or Father raised me. I let my child do as they please.” So look at the youth now. This is the generation everyone has been hoping for. The ones who “do as they please.”

The Youth today have a different set of Elders. Media. They will overstep the boundaries of the Parent to express their desire of love for it. At times, they will even kill for it. Because we are visual people, media is the perfect tool for our enslavement. And because we are visual people, we should never allow others, especially those who have planned our genocide in the past, and are still planning it- to govern our systems of social communication and data exchange= media.

But guess what. The youth turn into Elders. And at some point of time they find themselves watching outside the window also and watering plants. Eavesdropping on the conversations of the youth to make sure their Mindset is in the right position. They remember when they were young and foolish, but they can’t speak out to correct the problem. They can’t chastise the youth the way they should be. The don’t even speak the same language. And so the new Council of Elders are more powerless than the ones before them.

Again the issue is fear. The Elders are terrified of the Youth. An old Woman walking at the pace of a snail will muster up the strength to cross the street if she sees a group of Black teens in her path. The same media that teaches this behavior is used to terrify the Elders.

And why aren’t the Youth listening anyway? One word: Security. The key to survival of any group or race. Who is offering them this? Who is offering the Youth their Security? The Black Community? Not when Black Mothers and Fathers know so little about the law the police can drag their children out and put them in jail for no good reason, no proof. And not when money can determine life imprisonment.
    Yet we consider ourselves free in America, but we don’t Security? Even some Black Men will admit a fear for Black Women because they have so form of Security against the Black Man. 9-1-1. One call, that’s all.

The Black Man has no Security. Hell, a simple accusation can land him in jail.
    So when we look at the Youth, when we look at this collection of young Black Men and Women- we must ask ourselves, when they look at us- do they see freedom? The only freedom the can possibility see is in security. America’s illusion says real Security starts above 6 figures. Security is no longer having a network of Elders and Communities, Tribesmen, Warriors and Shaman to watch out for you. Who watches out for our Youth? Who watches out for the Elders?

Who is watching? Who provides our Security?

7. cherryblossom

cherryblossom Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5,560
    And, IMO, these 2 posts speak to the crux of the problem.

Yes, that very "permissive," enabling, crippling latitude in parenting greatly affects, in a domino effect, the very existence of any "Council Of Elders."

However, it is not just the "media" which instills fear in our Elders. It is also that same "Let them do as they please" mentalities of too many parents. Our Elders are afraid of the youth because they've seen other Elders robbed, beaten, and verbally disrespected and threatened as well as have also been victimized themselves.

Yes, a "Council Of Elders" would be an excellent forum in our communities.

But, just WHO could fill the shoes?...WHO could be suggested for nomination?

Just WHO might accept the nomination and not be leery and doubtful that their participation would be in vain and futile?

Like you, MetaVerse, the "Council Of Elders" who helped govern my behavior were well aware of and shared the value set that my mother espoused. And, so, they helped to enforce her rules for her children's behavior. They were an outside "support system" for her and for her children because, likewise, they would have also defended us and kept us from harm.

But, how deep or how shallow is the "pool" from which to pull Elders like them today?