Black People : The Concept of Being Concerned for Only Self - You and Yours Alone

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by Destee, Sep 4, 2012.

1. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,691
    Peace and Blessings Family,

I heard this Sister say today, that she is all about self. She doesn't care about anyone else, not the poor, obama, no one, except self. Only her and her own. And it really struck a nerve in me. I thot, wow, what a novel concept. Why didn't i think of that? Why didn't i go that way? Why am i concerned about not only myself, but others too? I'd probably be better off if i had done that. I began second guessing myself, my life, etc., and it began to make my heart heavy. Like i've made some terrible mistakes.

It's certainly an alternative, and i'm wondering if i turned right when i shooda went left ... :eeek:

The Sister that shared this seemed very very happy with her choice and its outcome, almost bragging about it, how well she's fared choosing this path ... and i'm just wondering ... does such a path guarantee positive ends for those that embark upon it.

I'd like to explore this concept more. Have you employed it? Would you advise it to others?

Looking forward to the discussion.

Love You!

:heart:

Destee

2. Asomfwaa

Asomfwaa Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +2,564
    It appears that by and large this is the Philosophy of our people. Whether it's had a positive effect on us is attested in how successful we are as a people.

The Laws of Nature apply to Human Life. When you watch those Nature channels, you are actually watching insight into how the world--the human world included--functions.

Animals travel in packs. Even the strong female Lion chases the gazelle with another Sister beside her. One catches--sure--but that's beside the point. The other animals eat at the table because it's a group effort which makes success.

If a Lion for instance sought to chase a Gazelle alone, the Gazelles would sit and laugh at her. Not exactly. I mean, maybe that Lion could catch a Gazelle alone. But when she caught it, she'd have just a bite. The hyenas would tell her to scram or else they will have Lion meat. Know what I mean?

When a Black person says that they will not do for Black people, what they really mean is that they will do for White people. This is the hidden message in these protests. Dr. Amos Wilson said it clearer:

“Why does the Black man say, “freedom is doing what I want to do!” and why is it that every thing he “wants to do” enriches the European?”​

3. Shikamaru

Shikamaru Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,989
    I advocate "ethical selfishness" (I know ... sounds like an oxymoron).

Everything in balance, but you do have to take care of you.
    No one cares more about you and your business than you do.

I wouldn't go as far as saying I don't care about others. I do care, but everything within reason.

4. Asomfwaa

Ratings:
    +2,564
    I finally watched the Fountainhead. Ayn Rand wrote the screenplay herself, demanding that nothing be changed in true Fountainhead spirit. I almost want to read the book. But man was that woman ugly. :-p

5. Shikamaru

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,989
    LOL.

I haven't read any of Ayn Rand's books yet, but they are on my list.

Perhaps selfishness is too harsh a word full of opprobrium. Self-concern may be more gentle.

6. abstract219

abstract219 ...standing on the shoulders of giants MEMBER

United States
    Behavioral Health
    Ratings:
    +548
    Hmmm... consider all the chance encounters, extended convos and interactions with family and friends/adversaries, at work, home or the mall........how could one be for self?

We are social beings. Connected in some way. We either change or are changed by our environments...

On a personal note...I understand the sentiment. People's actions/comments can chase you into disappointment, then isolation, but its always good people who bring you back out.

7. Asomfwaa

Ratings:
    +2,564
    Ayn Rand's Objectivism . . . oh my . . . I just revisited it . . . she's so hard to look at. :'(

I remember the days when I spoke with Europeans about her. Lol. Making fun of her left and right. Hahaha. Good times.

I think that selfishness is the common sentiment amongst Black people in America. But it's part systemic. We are taught to be individuals chasing limited opportunities that are out of our control. The Black man, for instance, working at McDonalds was one of more than two-hundred who applied. He "got his" after a nine month depraved search with nearly no social aid. Why, with that job, would he rock the boat or, "having his" after his struggle--which was small to us but big to him--would he be altruistic or charitable? To him--charity doesn't reach those in need (see his example--and what he has seen) and he doesn't have enough to give. He has big dreams that no one is investing in--so he doesn't think it fit to invest in your dreams. He--ultimately--doesn't know you.

Du Bois himself points out that this is the problem of our age--we don't know one another. And ultimately we're more about what we know.

8. Shikamaru

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,989
    Keep in mind that some systems, such as capitalism, operate on the assumption of self-interest.

The contradiction, however, is that some degree of cooperation is necessary for the system to function. Else, it would collapse.

9. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,691
    i never heard of Ayn Rand until right now ... thanks Brothers ... so i did some searching ...

for those that might be like me ... here's some of what i found

::

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ayn_Rand

Ayn Rand born Alisa Zinov'yevna Rosenbaum; February 2 [O.S. January 20] 1905 – March 6, 1982) was a Russian-American novelist, philosopher, playwright, and screenwriter. She is known for her two best-selling novels, The Fountainhead and Atlas Shrugged, and for developing a philosophical system she called Objectivism.

Born and educated in Russia, Rand moved to the United States in 1926. She worked as a screenwriter in Hollywood and had a play produced on Broadway in 1935–1936. After two early novels that were initially less successful, she achieved fame with her 1943 novel The Fountainhead. In 1957, she published her best-known work, the novel Atlas Shrugged. Afterward she turned to nonfiction to promote her philosophy, publishing her own magazines and releasing several collections of essays until her death in 1982.

Rand advocated reason as the only means of acquiring knowledge and rejected all forms of faith and religion. She supported rational and ethical egoism, and rejected ethical altruism. In politics, she condemned the initiation of force as immoral and opposed all forms of collectivism and statism, instead supporting laissez-faire capitalism, which she believed was the only social system that protected individual rights. She promoted romantic realism in art. She was sharply critical of the philosophers and philosophical traditions known to her, except Aristotle.

Rand's fiction was poorly received by many literary critics, and academia generally ignored or rejected her philosophy. The Objectivist movement attempts to spread her ideas, both to the public and in academic settings. She has been a significant influence among libertarians and American conservatives.

Ayn Rand Phil Donahue Interview Part 1 of 5

Ayn Rand Phil Donahue Interview Part 2 of 5

Ayn Rand Phil Donahue Interview Part 3 of 5

Ayn Rand Phil Donahue Interview Part 4 of 5

Ayn Rand Phil Donahue Interview Part 5 of 5

10. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,691