Black People : The Color of Your Skin ... How Black Are You?

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by Destee, Dec 27, 2006.

1. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,691
    There is a group of Africans who do not think they are as good as the Whites. This self-demeaning and self-denigrating attitude shows in how they relate to the White man. You see, most Africans are usually beside themselves around the White man. No matter how highly placed some Africans are, they bow and fret at all times. They do their best to please. They curry favor and approval, and go out of their way to demonstrate their loyalty and gratitude. Africans are at all times at the service of the whites; as a result, whatever the White man wants, the White man gets. You rarely can find Africans on equal footing with Whites.

And even when the White man is of a lower economic, educational, and social status, the Black man would, in most cases, still revere and honor the White man. The next time you are the Murtala Mohammed Airport, observe how lowly expatriates are treated and observe also how Nigerian professionals are approached and talked to: one gets deference; the other is harassed. Or you could just watch how the Americans, Germans, British and French nationals are treated at numerous checkpoints: there is fawning and flattery for the Whites; while the Blacks, their fellow Nigerians, are berated and hassled and hurried.

In Lagos, Kinshasa, Malabo and Accra for instance, a White man could walk into a police station or any government establishment and be done with his errands in less than 30-minutes, while the same errand -- assuming it is done at all -- would take the African almost 2 hours to accomplish. In Lagos and cities across Africa, have you noticed how traders, bankers, students, government officials and virtually everyone else relate to the Whites? The Whites are worshipped; the relationship is that of a servant-master relationship.

The Lebanese, Indians, Pakistanis, Bangladeshi, Pilipino, Chinese and others are also now in the superiority game. In fact, the Lebanese and the Indians have been in the game a very long time. They run their own socio-economic and political empires in Africa -- oppressing Africans. And indeed, it is sad, very sad and heart breaking to observe the way the Indians and the Lebanese treat Nigerians in Nigeria. People who are generally a "nobody" in their own countries acts like kings and queens in Nigeria and elsewhere in Africa. You have nobody but the Africans themselves to blame since Africans will bow to anybody with yellow, white, green or pink skin. Anything but black skin is God sent!

And if you think the White man is lording it over Africans, well, the situation is even more telling when it comes to White women. The Black man will obey if asked to pee in his pants before a White woman. They will bow, prostrate and go the extra miles just to satisfy the whims and wishes of White women. If a White woman wants to make a government official go nuts, all she need do is expose the top or the corner of her breast or wink and smile. The promise or possibility of intimacy will make such official divulge government secrets or agree to detrimental contract terms. The African may stammer and offer vain resistance before Oga, but not before madam. Madam has money, power, and much more.

Here is another dimension to the skin-game: even amongst Africans themselves, they go gaga over and around a light-skinned person -- especially a light skin woman. There are African men and women who will not give a dark-skinned suitor a romantic chance. You see, the lighter the skin, the more intense the desire and lust and obedience on the part of some. How many men do you suppose have lost their limbs and paycheck and dignity over a light-skin African? Knowing the Black man have it for light skin women, some dark-skin women have resorted to bleaching their skins.

In a way, skin bleaching is a catch-up game, a game that allows bleachers to play on an equal footing with the light-skinned women. Light and lighter skin, in the worldview of some, is a passport to better living. It gives access and thorough fare.

Considering all that ills Africa, the desire for light skin is so superficial and absurd that it is absurd contemplating it; but that is the reality of life in a continent where the majority of the people are uneducated or poorly educated, and where the vast majority of the people suffer from inferiority complex. As sad as this may sound, the debate is not limited to Africa. In fact, the desire for light and lighter skin permeates the Black community the world over.

For instance, in cities like New Orleans, Atlanta and Washington DC, the debate and preference for light skin African-Americans are alive and going strong. Some have argued that the mixed-race is at the top of the pecking order, followed by the light skin. The brownbag test was in vogue for decades, and it continues to be a yardstick in some African-American communities.

It is not a secret that some employers and bosses favor light skin applicants and employees over the dark-skinned. The same is true of the music and movie industry where light-skin African-Americans are favored (most of the time) over their dark-skin counterparts.

The majority of African-American TV and Cable personalities are also light skinned. The lighter you are the more beautiful and intelligent people perceive you to be. The next time you are at it, take note of the ratio of dark versus light skin dancers and actors in the MTV music videos. And by the way, how many successful African-American actors, musicians, artists, professional sports men and academicians are dating or married to dark-skin African-American women? To be Black and black is, in some instances, a severe disadvantage.

Going one step further, how many times have one heard Black men say "White women are better in bed…they are easier to work with…have the least drama…are obedient and cooperative…" More often than not, their preference is a White woman; absent that, a mixed-race or light skin woman. Most would not veer far from the white skin. And how many times have one heard White men say Black men "are brutes and savages…needs to be tamed and trained…needs constant support and direction…" They think of black and Blacks as belonging to the same camp. All the while, or at least most of the times, they think of the mixed-race or the light skinned as "better" -- close to their own image or their idealized version of good and beautiful.

From the African continent to North America through Europe, the desire for, and rejection of black and Blacks is ongoing.

Why would a self-loving and self-respecting people be less desiring of their kind? Why would a man or woman who is as black as the darkest berry -- in prospecting for a partner -- willfully exclude a dark-skin person? Why? Nevertheless, it happens every time. And in fact, it is not uncommon to hear some Africans say ungodly things about very dark Africans.

If we look down on others because they are darker than we are, we look down on ourselves. If we reject others because their skin tone is different from ours, we reject our own essence. If we bleach ones skin just because we want to meet other people's idealized and fancy version of us, then we make ourselves less Africans and less human. If you reject your own, if you reject your type, why should the outsiders accept and respect you? To be respected, you must respect yourself. Black is black whether you are light, brown or as black as the darkest berry.

[email protected]

Peace and Blessings Family,

I found the above article interesting, wrote the owner, Mr. Sabella Abidde, received permission, and am sharing it with all of us!

What do you think about it?

:heart:

Destee

2. Amnat77

Amnat77 Well-Known Member MEMBER

professional.
    Ratings:
    +2,622
    I left africa when i was 11 eleven years old for the States, from what i can remember about the issue of women bleaching thier skin it was done because they felt they would attract better husbands( well to do and all that) I am glad this was posted on here because it shows that as African Americans have been damaged mentally by slavery, Africans have being damaged by colonialism...so now we know the problem how do we fix it????, We as black people all over the world have being beating the same horse for years..i mean so colonialism and slavery is to blame..that's done and over with, we have to start taking responsiblity for our destines because we are slowly eroding ourselves without realizing it.... out of all God's creation we have the gift of free will; we can chose to change our destines and beliefs just by being aware, present and making a concious to effort to move away from main stream and start forming our own opinion of beauty etc

I do not%2

3. OmowaleX

OmowaleX Well-Known Member MEMBER

Educator
    Ratings:
    +42
    Here we go again!

If one carefully examines this is it really TRUE that there are more "ligher skinned" Black MEn than "darker-skinned" Black MEN in principal ACTING roles?

Lighter-skinned women, no doubt. But as far as Black MEN are concerned?

This is an issue which it seems that, growing up IN Los Angeles and WITHIN the entertainment industry, has been a never ending point of contention.

I hoped that this web site would be different.

However, I can take no more of this divisiveness, much of which is MEDIA HYPED.

Peace...

4. robboy2003

robboy2003 Well-Known Member MEMBER

To bring strength and a calming influence,and to s
    Ratings:
    +5
    It's an honest assessment,that has validity with a lot of blacks world wide.

Some solutions to a problem,that we are already aware of would be nice. One simple solution,or something that may be helpful is ,when we see an native African,or Black from another country. Do talk to that person,and if you can convey commonality with them and love,or brother,sistership with them that can be great!

The unknown and mysteries of our lost sisters and brothers could be lessened with international dialogue. Us blacks need to do it. We can make time for frat,and or sorority reunions. Why not Blacks as a whole reach out to one another for a series of conferences. Have them often and close the divide,and or differences among us!

There is much,that can be done. I hope you get input on this Destee.

Be Blessed and Peace wit much luv!

5. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,691
    Brother Omowale ... what specifically about this web site did you think would be different ... and different from what?

:heart:

Destee

6. Amnat77

professional.
    Ratings:
    +2,622

up untill afew years ago, when the model tyson made being dark skinned fashionable for men in hollywood there weren't hardly any dark skinned actors, so this phenomenom of dark skinned male actors just started recently, thats besides the point... we still have a problem and pointing fingers is not a solution, u have to let go of the angst you feel against black women because it is extremely counter productive..i might be wrong but thats just my observation

like i said before like attracts like, i hope you don't take it the wrong way i just feel so much of your frustration with us and i understand but...you still have to remain open...

7. PurpleMoons

PurpleMoons Administrator STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,102
    Hello Amnat77!:wave:

Just wanted to take some time out to Welcome you to Destee's!

WELCOME TO DESTEE!:heart:

Thank you for the post Sister Destee.

The conditioning is very deep. It's a sad state some of us are presently in.
    As I read on, it brought to mind the time when our enslaved Ancestors weren't allowed to look a White person in the eyes, for fear of being whipped or killed.

Now here many of us are, the descendants of our ancestors, still subconsciously harboring this attitude of servitude and inferiority. It's like we purposely play ourselves down, afraid to be greater than what they say we are, and thinking the worst of our own. Just reading this article is proof of that.

Although this article make some valid examples, it's still portraying our own in a negative lowly light. Placing white or lighter skinned people on top, as if they don't have similar issues. Like we are the only ones who suffer from this. We are always being compared with non-blacks. Holding ourselves up to european standards. At some point, we must stop looking at the jones's and just do us.

I think this "grass is greener" mentality is what keeps us stuck at go, instead of charging forward at full spead, allowing our Greatness to rise.

8. Amnat77

professional.
    Ratings:
    +2,622
    thanks purplemoons, with the exception of the part about African people being mostly uneducated or poorly educated, am in aggreement with the article it sounds ugly but is the truth...i believe oprah herself had an experience in Ethiopia, Africans fawning over her white employers and ignoring her at a hotel..lol..( am just imagining the look on her face) i myself (having lived on 3 continents European, North america and Africa) have experienced the most discrimination from blacks than whites because of my skin tone......actually to give you an example; a black female once said to me at work.."at the end of the day ur still blacker than me so the white people prefer me, regardles of your degree" that just a G rated version of my experience so i think the article is pretty accurate, i don't think he is putting down black people at all he is just stating facts.

9. mrron

mrron Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +6
    Very interesting

I really don't know a lot about Africans from the continent having this fascination with light skin. As for blacks in the US, I think some like the idea that we can have a variety of colors to choose from. Not necessarily white. I know of black women who married white men and don't like their color at all, they definitely don't want their children to be "lilly white". I know whites who don't like being white in color either, many marry into the black race to have children of color, not black children, but children of color.

As to the dark skin issue, it is definitely an infection among us. Names like Tar baby, darkee, chocolatee, midnight etc., reflect our disdain for very dark people. Even in India, some people are very dark and treated unfairly because of it. I suspect it might even predate white supremacy, but I can't prove it.

I"ve never been attracted to white women, they are basically lacking sex appeal to me, especially without makeup and hair do's. I simply love black women, in all shades, colors and flavors. I wrote a poem called Black Diamond's about black women, and another one called Butt, that one is self exolanatory. Maybe I will post them one day.

10. PurpleMoons

PurpleMoons Administrator STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,102
    I hear you Amnat77. I don't doubt the validity of the article, it's just so much exposure is geared at that way we treat each other compared to whites. It makes me wonder if this type of exposure is more harmful for our mental than it is productive. I mean, doesn't it sortof help to keep this negative attitudes we have for each other going? Doesn't it tell us to expect the worst from our own?

Why is exposure rarely or ever geared at how wealthy whites view and treat poor whites? Or how other nonblack for that matter, treat each other within their cultures? I just don't believe these conditions are unique to us, and is one of the major reasons we can't form unity.

I think because most of us are in survival mode, we've adopted the tactic of every man for him/herself. Overlooking our own and going for the target we think will reap us the most benefit. And these negative articles only opens gates for excuses, to why we stray away from each other.