Black People : The Civil War & Black Gang Culture.......

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by info-moetry, Jul 2, 2012.

1. info-moetry

info-moetry STAFF STAFF

United States
    A+ technician
    Ratings:
    +6,486
    Peace

As i was posting some pics in the 'Slavery Documents' thread, a thought stung the dome as i looked at brothers in uniform fighting for both sides in the civil war.

Could this war have given birth to black 'gang' culture? Meaning having to put on a particular color/uniform to represent your your 'side' in the conflict.

Imagine, after the war and brothers who fought in the war on the side of the confederates, (yes, there were some and it's a story not often told) but they weren't called 'soldiers', they were usually referred to as 'servants. Imagine, some of them escaping to go as far north as they could (after realizing they were lied to about being set free for their service on the battlefield) and meeting up with brothers and sisters from the North, only to be shunned after the brothers and sisters from the North found out that they fought against them on behalf of slavery. This would immidiately cause the brother from the south to keep quiet about his involvement and only seek out like minded individuals who may have also fought for the south and wore the confederate uniform.

As some of us know there was 'beef' from plantation to plantation throughout the north and south about whose massa' was better or worse according to 'slaves' of each plantation.

If we take a closer examination of the "house ***** vs. field *****' we can readily see two different 'gangs' of black people who wore two different uniforms and had 2 totally different mind states had already been formed.

Denzel in glory - ah, i see you read as good as white folk's?

house ***** character - I'd be happy to teach you

Denzel - I ain't got nuttin' ta learn off of no house *****, he're

Was slavery the beginning of our introduction to 'gang' culture here in the west. Was it elevated by our participation on both sides of the civil war??

Your thoughts please................

2. Angela22

Angela22 Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +3,320
    Unanswered?:eek:

Okay, i'll sound in.:jumping:

It could have had some influence on how youths act today. I guess if you look at it over all, as you explained, one black despises another because of his education; that's not much different than how gang members act toward black youths who choose to abstain from gang activity. They despise that they choose to go another route, thus labeling them...well, all kinds of stuff! Thus,
    a tradition has been held on to since days of old; "hate the one who thinks he has a right to be more educated than you."

And as you said also about colors, it comes from letting all know which side you represent, but that seems in general of human actions throughout a lot things, even in sports.

There's definitely more to it, but I'm sure that war didn't help bring any unity! Tore families apart all over.

3. Enki

Enki The Evolved Amphibian STAFF

United States
    Civil Eng.
    Ratings:
    +5,928
    I agree sista!

Peace!

4. Enki

Enki The Evolved Amphibian STAFF

United States
    Civil Eng.
    Ratings:
    +5,928
    Good example bruh...

Looking at this dialog here, the first thing that hit me was that did it matter where valuable knowledge was coming from? IMO, he let status stand in the way of learning something that could set him free, make him better than what he was. I'm sure the "Stockholm effect" was a reason the blacks fought for the south. I've worked at places that gave blacks sum lil nickle and dime position and they would be worst than whity. I could see how blacks that fought for the south thought that they would finally be viewed as equals. You ever seen the movie soldier's story? The Sargent was this type of person, the white boy wanted to give Denzel time off for a job well done, and Sarg was trying to talk him out of it. Also you definitely has a battle of the classes in this movie, it's the educated vs the non educated.

Here is the clip:

Peace!

5. info-moetry

info-moetry STAFF STAFF

United States
    A+ technician
    Ratings:
    +6,486
    I've seen that movie about a hundred times and could tell you just about every line of it.

Yeah, the sarg was straight ol'e school when it came to his men and he couldn't stand the baseball player C.J. and would pick on him every chance he could.

His kissing up to whitey is what got him killed in the first place. All of that kissing up, led to him getting drunk out of the sub-concious pain he was going thru for treating his people the way he was and he ended up on that road where those 2 white soldiers gave him the bizness....

I could only imagine what he would have thought about the black commissioned officer/lawyer had he ever had a chance to meet him.....

THe person i really couldn't stand, just like the other soldiers was that snithc Wookie, or however you say his name......

[​IMG]

btw, sarge did whip Denzel's @ss though....lol

[​IMG]