Black Spirituality Religion : The Case Against Christianity

Discussion in 'Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion' started by THA HOOKUPMAN, Oct 8, 2004.

1. THA HOOKUPMAN

THA HOOKUPMAN Banned MEMBER

FRRE THINKER
    Ratings:
    +17
    The basics of Christian belief (both Catholic and Protestant) are that 1) Jesus died and was resurrected, 2) Jesus is God Incarnate, 3) Jesus performed miracles of healing, and 4) Jesus, God the Father, and the Holy Spirit form the Trinity of God. Modern evangelicals believe that these doctrines are fully supported by the Bible which is the revealed Word of God. If Skeptics argue otherwise, they are accused of warping the text or viewing it "in the wrong way". In this sense, Christianity is like a Rorshach test where if you do not see the butterfly, you are labeled crazy. However, when we examine the history of Christian belief, we find that it is the doctrines themselves which are warped.

The Resurrection
    Irenaeus, Bishop of Lyons, (140-202 A.D.) wrote a series of books which opposed the Gnostic movement in the early Church. These books provide great insight into the doctrinal disputes of his day. Gnostics are Christians who from the beginning rejected the Incarnation and the Bodily Resurrection of Jesus Christ as fabrications. They followed Scriptures attributed to Phillip, Thomas, John and Peter, believing them to be the Word of God. According to the Gnostic teacher Basilides, "[Jesus] did not himself suffer death, but Simon, a certain man of Cyrene, being compelled, bore the cross in his stead; so that this latter being transfigured by him, that he might be thought to be Jesus, was crucified, through ignorance and error, while Jesus himself received the form of Simon, and, standing by, laughed at them." (Irenaeus, Against Heresies 1.XXIV .4 ) Other Gnostics believed that Jesus was released after his trial, never having bore a cross. Some traditions say that he lived to be over fifty years old and died a natural death.

God Incarnate or Adopted Son?
    "About 320 A.D. there arose a great deal of controversy over whether or not Jesus was God Incarnate. A young presbyter named Arius contended that Jesus was the adopted Son of God and not equal to God at all. He pointed out that even Jesus Himself had said "the Father is Greater than I". The controversy became so heated that the emperor Constantine himself intervened and summoned a synod to Nicea in modern Turkey to settle the issue. Today, Arius' name is a byword for heresy, but when the controversy broke out there was no officially orthodox position and it was by no means certain why or even whether Arius was wrong. There was nothing new about this claim: Origen, whom both sides held in high esteem, had taught a similar doctrine" (Karen Armstrong, A History of God). At the Council of Nicea, the bishops wrote The Nicene Creed. It should be noted that these bishops only represented the christianity of the west, and the bishops of the east continued to contend that Jesus was created by God and therefore not God.

"By 359 AD Arianism had prevailed as the official faith of the empire" with the support of Constantius II. After the death of Constantius, the new Emporer Valens persecuted the Arians in order to clear the way for the return of the Nicene "orthodoxy" (Arianism, Microsoft Encarta). However, a reading of the chronology of the Arian controversy will illustrate that even after sixty years of violent debate, the issue was never finally settled. To this day, there are 22 million Christians in the Orthodox Church who reject the doctrine of the Incarnation. These include the Armenian, Coptic, Syrian and Ethiopian Churches (Eastern Church, Microsoft Encarta).

The Miracles of Jesus

Prior to the modern age, just about anyone could raise the dead or walk on water. Buddha is said to have cut himself to pieces with a sword and then come back to life. Apolonius of Tyana could cast out demons. The Emperor Vespasian healed the blind and the lame. When Joan of Arc passed by, dead infants yawned and came back to life. We can also mention Honi, Septimus Sevi, Caesar Augustus,the Baha'u'lah, Mohammed and hundreds more miracle-working saviors. How commonplace were miracle accounts in the Ancient Near East? Consider this: Jesus was born of the Virgin Mary. How was the Virgin Mary born? Anna, her mother, was lamenting her barreness when an angel appeared to inform her that she shall bear a child and "thy progeny shall be spoken of in all the world" (The Protevangelion IV,1). You have to wonder how Anna was born.

Of all the Gospels written about Jesus, the most relevant is the Gospel of Thomas. Discovered in 1945, scholars date it about 50-70 A.D. making it the oldest and most reliable of all the gospels. "It is a collection of sayings used to instruct newly-baptized Christians. It appears to reflect an early form of Johannine preaching and probably came into being at about the same time as the Q document (the sayings source from which may scholars believe Matthew and Luke drew much of their material)". (The Gospel of Thomas and Christian Wisdom, Stevan L. Davies). According to tradition, the Gospel of Thomas was written by Judas Thomas the Twin who was the brother of Jesus. In this gospel, you will find no virgin births, no trinities, no miracles, and no resurrections. The only thing you find are the words of Jesus.

The writings of Paul also lack any mention of a virgin birth, trinity or bodily resurrection. Most scholars date Paul's writings earlier than any of the gospels. If early Christian traditions omitted these "essential" Christian beliefs, then it seems likely that they were later inventions.

The Canon

The Christian canon came about in much the same way as the doctrine of the Trinity - after hundreds of years of controversy and debate. The Catholic Church finally settled upon those texts thought to have the most authenticity of tradition. The Church historian, Eusebius of Caesaria, lists the books which were doubtful choices: Hebrews, James, 2 Peter, 2 and 3 John, Jude and Revelation. He also lists the revered Scriptures which were rejected by the Church as inauthentic: 1 Clement, The Shepherd of Hermas and The Didache.

Revelation was a particularly controversial choice. According to the Catholic Encyclopedia, "during the fourth and fifth centuries the tendency to exclude the Apocalypse [Revelation] from the list of sacred books continued to increase in the Syro-Palestinian churches. Eusebius [of Caesaria] expresses no definite opinion. He contents himself with the statement: "The Apocalypse is by some accepted among the canonical books but by others rejected" (Hist. Eccl., III, 25). St. Cyril of Jerusalem does not name it among the canonical books (Catech. IV, 33-36); nor does it occur on the list of the Synod of Laodicea, or on that of Gregory of Nazianzus. Perhaps the most telling argument against the apostolic authorship of the book is its omission from the Pe****o, the Syrian Vulgate." But notice the remarkable conclusion to the matter: "But although the authorities giving evidence against the authenticity of the Apocalypse deserve full consideration they cannot annul or impair the older and unanimous testimony of the churches."

The "unanimous" testimony of the churches includes the following statement by the Roman presbyter Caius: "But Cerinthus by means of revelations which he pretended were written by a great Apostle falsely pretended to wonderful things, asserting that after the resurrection there would be an earthly kingdom" (Hist. Eccl., III, 28) Caius is saying that Cerinthus, the Gnostic, forged the book of Revelation. Dionysius, bishop of Alexandria and a disciple of Origen, also asserted that Revelation was written by someone other than the Apostle John.

Even if we were to accept the Bible as containing the authentic teachings of the twelve apostles, our earliest manuscripts date about a hundred years after the original texts were written. How trustworthy are the copyists? Our modern New Testament contains copyist additions such as Mark 16:9-20. A reference to Jesus in Josephus' Antiquities of the Jews (18.3.1) is such a blatant Chrisian forgery that even Christian scholars admit as much. Also, keep in mind that the same Christians that we are trusting with an accurate transmission of the Bible burned down whole libraries full of Gnostic Scriptures. Eusebius, the Church historian, confessed to being more concerned with spreading the Christian faith than recording history accurately.

Conclusion

Modern Christian doctrine, far from being a consensus on Christian belief, reflects only a minority viewpoint. Other Christian groups had different beliefs, different canons and different perspectives. Why was the Western Church so much more successful than its competitors? Neither Gnostics nor Orthodox Christians were very evangelical. But more importantly, the Catholic Church had the backing of the Emperor Constantine and used that power to persecute other Christians. The Catholic Church is also responsible for the destruction of libraries full of competing Scriptures. The fact of the matter is that Christians East and West are clinging to doctrines created by men. Jesus said, "Rightly did Isaiah prophesy of you hypocrites, as it is written,

'This people honors me with their lips,
    But their hearts are far away from me.
    But in vain do they worship me,
    Teaching as doctrines the precepts of men.'" Mark 7:6-7 (RSV)

Some prophecies do come true.

source:
    http://home.earthlink.net/~wyvern37/case.htm

Other Resources Available:
    The Case Against Christianity
    by Michael Martin

Forgery in Christianity :
    A Documented Record of the Foundations of the Christian Religion
    by Joseph Wheless

The X-Rated Bible :
    An Irreverent Survey of Sex in the Scriptures
    by Ben Edward Akerley

The Christ Myth
    (Westminster College-Oxford Classics in the Study of Religion)
    by Arthur Drews, C. Deslisle Burns

The Forgery of the Old Testament
    and Other Essays (Freethought Library)
    by Joseph McCabe

The Jesus Myth
    by George Albert Wells

The Myth of the Resurrection
    and Other Essays (The Freethought Library) by Joseph McCabe

The Jesus Legend
    by G. A. Wells, R. Joseph Hoffman

Is It God's Word :
    An Exposition of the Fables &
    Mythology of the Bible & the Fallacies of Theology
    by Joseph Wheless

Some Mistakes of Moses
    by Robert G. Ingersoll

The Born Again Skeptic's Guide
    To The Bible
    by Ruth Hurmence Green

Losing Faith in Faith :
    From Preacher to Atheist
    by Dan Barker

The Encyclopedia of Biblical Errancy
    by C. Dennis McKinsey

Holy Horrors :
    An Illustrated History of Religious Murder and Madness
    by James A. Haught

Hidden History of Zionism
    by Ralph Schoenman

The Christ Conspiracy
    The Greatest Story Ever Sold
    by Acharya S

The Jesus Puzzle
    Challenging the Existence of an Historical Jesus
    by Earl J. Doherty

2. toylin

toylin Well-Known Member MEMBER

Security Guard
    Ratings:
    +17
    *taking notes* :geek: Looks like i have a lot more reading to do, afterall.....

3. Radical Faith

Radical Faith Well-Known Member MEMBER

Operations Manager
    Ratings:
    +137
    Correction

As a christian what I believe is 1) In the begin the Triune God create the physical and spiritual Universe and all there in. 2) God created man and woman together in his perfect image then separated them so that they may live independantly but still united as caretakers of his creation. 3) Man lost the perfect image of God when he chose his own desires (woman) than obediance to God. 4) Man was spiritual dead and was unknowly in alledgence with Satan. Man could no longer commune with God in the same way because his nature had changed. 5) The next 4000 or so years was spent preparing a way by phophets, kings, thieves, murderers, adulterers whoremongerers, drunkards, con artists, liars, generals and judges for man to become part of Gods family. 6) The ultimate atonement came in the form of Jesus the son part of the trinity of God or the body of God or the Word made flesh or God among us. 7) The importance of Jesus: A. The slaughter of Jesus' flesh was the atonement of the sins of mankind. B. To prove the existence of the living God by his presences, through miracles, teachings and testimony. C. To prove life after physical death by his triumphant resurrection. D. To commission men to build the kingdom of God by establishing his church to minister to the needs of mankind so that all mankind know salvation. E. To return to claim his people from the decaying world in the end. F. To cast Satan and his children into the abyss of eternal damnation.

The responsibility of the Church or the Body of Christ is to save the sinner, equip it's saints and to serve the poor. The Church has become subject to apostacy this is why for the most part the world is in the shape it is in. The Church doesn't minister like it should. The Church is afraid of the world. The Church has become seduced by the world. Who am I to say such things? I am the Church. If one member or one church or one conference don't do what do God commands than the whole body is corrupt. These things were phophesiied throught out the New Testiment. No one should be surprized.

The Bible is my authority. For those who don't believe I leave you with two scriptures.

Old Testiment

Hosea 4:6

6My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge. Because you have rejected knowledge, I also will reject you from being priest for Me; Because you have forgotten the law of your God, I also will forget your children.

New Testiment

I Corinthians 2:14

14But the natural man does not receive the things of the Spirit of God, for they are foolishness to him; nor can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned.

Peace

Radical Faith

4. THA HOOKUPMAN

FRRE THINKER
    Ratings:
    +17

see thats what im talking about how can your christian values follow a book of scripture that says your kids :censored: will pay for something u did....once again my point is proved.

5. THA HOOKUPMAN

FRRE THINKER
    Ratings:
    +17
    i do believe in one god...but the bible and books like it are made you control people and make them feel bad about what ever the leader who wrote the book didnt like...and Christian belief is one religion that is really jacked up...to me ... :hearthis:

6. IssaEl21

IssaEl21 Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +4
    Peace Be Unto You

I Must Say You Are Takeing Them To School . Deep . They Say Seeing Is Believeing . But When One Is Put Under The Spell Of Religion , Some Still Have Blinder On . To Tell The Truth It Almost Sad SomeTimes But Hey .
    Again I Must Say Your On Point . Wondering How Many Are Going To ReSeacrh This Information ?????????????? :horse:

7. Radical Faith

Radical Faith Well-Known Member MEMBER

Operations Manager
    Ratings:
    +137
    Not my words.

No brother once again God's point is proven.

I Corinthians 2:10-15

10But God has revealed them to us through His Spirit. For the Spirit searches all things, yes, the deep things of God. 11For what man knows the things of a man except the spirit of the man which is in him? Even so no one knows the things of God except the Spirit of God. 12Now we have received, not the spirit of the world, but the Spirit who is from God, that we might know the things that have been freely given to us by God.
    13These things we also speak, not in words which man's wisdom teaches but which the Holy Spirit teaches, comparing spiritual things with spiritual. 14But the natural man does not receive the things of the Spirit of God, for they are foolishness to him; nor can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned. 15But he who is spiritual judges all things, yet he himself is rightly judged by no one. 16For "who has known the mind of the LORD that he may instruct Him?" But we have the mind of Christ.

Meditate on this scripture and pray to God for understanding. It may take a while but if you don't resist God's spirit he will bring about true knowledge.
    Remember it's not about us and our point of view but it's about God's will and divine purpose for us all.

Peace

Radical Faith

8. Music Producer

Music Producer Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +94
    Every religion on earth will fall except those that believe in and honor YH (The GOD of the Old Testaments).

Zech:14:12: And this shall be the plague wherewith the LORD will smite all the people that have fought against Jerusalem; Their flesh shall consume away while they stand upon their feet, and their eyes shall consume away in their holes, and their tongue shall consume away in their mouth.

And that’s not a reference to the fake Jerusalem that exists today. It is a reference to the original one, the one in which most Africans were stolen from and made slaves to serve the heathen and their demonic religions.

All praise be to YH
    All praise be to YH

9. PurpleMoons

PurpleMoons Administrator STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,102
    Hello Music Producer :wave:

Missed ya Brother! Haven't read you around for a minute. How are ya? :?: :grouphug:

10. Music Producer

Music Producer Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +94
    I’m doing good, how about you?
    I kinda been moving away from the net, it has become a luxury expense taking away from the family so you will probably see less and less of me unless I’m at work. But you know how they are about visiting any sites that promote African knowledge so I will only pop in every so often. And that is also why I never became a premium member. I kinda felt the old lady wanted to nix Internet access, but we will see what she wants to do, until that time.

YH bless.