Black People : The Brooklyn Apartment Packed With $10 Million In African Art

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by oldsoul, May 13, 2015.

1. OldSoul

OldSoul Permanent Black Man PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Staying Alive
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +976
    The Brooklyn Apartment Packed With $10 Million In African Art

The Collector, a new documentary short by New York City-based filmmaker Mark Zemel, tells the story of Eric Edwards, a former AT&T executive who keeps a 1,600-piece collection of African art in his Clinton Hill apartment (alongside smaller-scale collections of baseball cards, antique clocks, and over 40,000 LPs).
    ...Edwards's African collection includes tools, ceremonial masks, and weapons, and has been accumulating for the past 44 years and counting. The collection represents all 54 countries in Africa, with artifacts dating back to the Nubian empire. Edwards estimates that the lot is worth $10 million. His Nigerian Palace Drum will go on display at the Met on May 20th—the second of Edwards's Nigerian drums to join the museum's collection.
    ...As for how he became an African art collector, Edwards explains, "My father knew that we [his kids] would experience racism, and he wanted to inoculate us from feeling less important than anyone else. His way of doing that was to teach us African history, which later in life led me to collecting African art."

The rest: http://gothamist.com/2015/05/12/african_art_bk_apartment.php

2. Clyde C Coger Jr

Clyde C Coger Jr going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Speaker/Teacher/Author
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +12,079

In the Spirit of Sankofa,

This profound statement(s) bares highlighting and repeating:

...As for how he became an African art collector, Edwards explains, "My father knew that we [his kids] would experience racism, and he wanted to inoculate us from feeling less important than anyone else. His way of doing that was to teach us African history, which later in life led me to collecting African art."