Black Spirituality Religion : The blue planet is millions of years old

Discussion in 'Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion' started by NNQueen, Mar 10, 2003.

1. NNQueen

NNQueen going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    Do you believe there was a real garden of Eden as described in the Bible? Given the way the Book of Genesis is written, are we to take the time that God created earth literally, 6 days and one day of rest, or figuratively? Do you wonder how old earth was when God created Adam and Eve? Could they have been created soon after earth was formed making them millions of years old like the planet? If so, do you ever wonder what they really looked like? Through archeological finds, there's proof that dinosaurs existed and early forms of humans that pre-date writings in the Bible which is roughly 2,000 years old. Why do you think this information is missing from the Bible making such a great debate between believers of the Creation versus Evolution? Do you think the Bible was written to send a message to modern man?

2. NNQueen

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    Ummmm...you didn't answer my question(s) though...dig a little deeper and tell me what you really think!

3. Rain

Rain Active Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0
    I dont believe that any info. is missing from the bible unless its not suppose to be there. The bible does not consisit of books for debate but in my mind as a spiritual guide to the way we should live. Evolution is evident as is GOD. Adam and Eve were probably that age because of everlasting life. Just as we are supoose to be living way longer then we do but because of man and all the things we created we are dropping like flies. Everyone takes only what they want from the bible but you have to understand it in spirit and truth. Everything else will follow every question will be answered.

4. dbaraka

dbaraka Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0
    There is no where else in the bible where a day is considered anything other than a 24 hour day,so what causes believers to think that the creation story is talking about anything other than a standard 24 hour day?Does the bible specificly this,or is it just something said to justify a point of view?

5. NNQueen

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    Good question dbaraka, I'd love to see other's responses. I am not a scholar of the Bible, but a student of it. I do not profess to know all there is about it's contents. I've heard it interpreted from the simple to the complex. Some people simply repeat the stories described in the Bible, others make an effort to study the text, even how it's grammatically written, to interpret its meaning. My original questions may give some the appearance that I'm "debating" what has been written, but I'm not. I'm only exploring the degree to which others think of it. The story of Creation has always fascinated me. I wonder if there are others that find it so and how it came to be. For example, who is the author of the Book of Genesis?

6. monetg

monetg Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +2
    Monster,

We are creations of both spirit (ie faith) and science (ie data) so we need to "see" but we also need to "believe". Science satisfies the questioning mind and "religion" satisifies the weary spirit.
    I agree somewhat with Rain that the Bible's purpose is moreso to enrich than to really explain. It all boils down to what a individual beliefs. Do I believe the Earth was created in 6 days? No. Do I believe that there is an ultimate force that created all that I am and all that I see--Yes. Neither science or religion is "fool-proof". There are forces in nature that science can't quantify just as religion doesn't explain the presence of "life" before it's own existence.

7. Angela22

Angela22 Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +3,317

Yes, there was a real Garden of Eden. You're to take the 6 days of creation as truth.;)

Certain information is missing from the Scriptures because it wasn't meant to be there, at all. Believing in the Father and His Son, the One who died for our sins, and taking all the Most High and He have given and done in His resurrection from the dead, showing us compassion, sharing with us teachings, performing miracles and so on is to be had in true faith, and not had in modern "science".

One has to make their choice; believe what you cannot see for the time being, or "believe" only what is set before you eyes. Either you are spiritual minded or your mind is based in the carnal.

The Scriptures were written to send a message to all men and women of all generations, and so that all generations would have salvation by the sacrifice of the Holy Lamb in their belief.

8. willa

willa Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +299
    2 Peter 3:8 But, beloved, be not ignorant of this one thing, that one day is a thousand years with the Lord, and a thousand years as one day.

This earth may be measured in time from scientists a billion years and that gives me a laugh when they ought to know that this earth, even as they say, on the one hand has been called forth from the dust and ashes of other planets and suns. I say this earth is Zillions of years old, even time without number in its elements, but its creation was in 7000 years in the same word of God that called the elements as in the mountain that moved and the waters that parted, through that same power that is in the Priesthood of Christ, the Priesthood of Moses to bring forth water from a rock and then that power of priesthood that restructures the blind eyes in elements that can see, restructures the lame man's knees that he walks, all according to that Priesthood (Power in God).