Black People : The Black Bottom - The Bottom - Got One in Your City?

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by Destee, Feb 2, 2014.

1. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,684
    Peace and Blessings Family,

Today in class with Brother oldsoul, he mentioned the black bottom in Detroit. He talked about it being the area of town where black people had basically been confined to live ... the area of the city designated for our housing needs.

Well ... imagine my surprise to hear that ... 'cause we have a "bottom" in Mobile too.

Mention "the bottom" here in Mobile, everyone knows what area you're talking about.

The area appears to be historically assigned to the housing needs of black folk.

Does your city have a "bottom" ... or a ... "black bottom" .... ??

Who knew it was nationwide ... not just in your city or mine?!

:heart:

Destee

2. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,745
    :11100: we had 'the bottom' in west philly. that is where i grew up.

3. Blackbird

Blackbird Well-Known Member MEMBER

Professional Hitman
    Ratings:
    +1,820
    In Shreveport, La, there is the Bottoms formerly known the St. Louis Bottoms but presently known Ledbetter Heights. My dad grew up in Bottom and the neighboring Jones Alley neighborhood. The Bottom is notorious in my hometown for a highly organized drug gang called the Bottom Boyz (BxBz). My dad was actually an original member of the Bottom Boyz from the 1960's. They started out as a neighborhood defense fighting white boys but eventually became a run of the mill street gang widely known for violence. All the other gangs in the city feared them. They were known for being 5150 retarded the dumb way. In 1994, the police department, sheriffs, FBI and DEA entered the Bottom and closed all corridors to and from the neighborhood with tanks. They arrested over 20 members and the top dogs got alphabets.

Baton Rouge, La also has a bottom.

4. Keita Kenyatta

Keita Kenyatta going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

Ratings:
    +3,382
    I missed Oldsouls show...but I would certainly hope that he was able to document that this present reality was first implemented and practiced on our people by the ancient Greeks. We therefore in understanding history and the legacy of the people that we are dealing with, should see this as nothing more than a continuation of an old mindset as it relates to our people. And we run around thinking due to our cognitive dissonance that YT people have changed or that things have gotten better. Where???....With who??? All reports reveal that we are WORST OFF TODAY than we were in the 1960's !!!!

5. jamesfrmphilly

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,745
    :11100:no, we are not.......

6. Keita Kenyatta

Keita Kenyatta going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

Ratings:
    +3,382

According to a report released by the Urban Institute, the state of the African-American family is worse today than it was in the 1960′s. Before you become offended and charge, “What about the White family?!” The report also discloses that families of all ethnicities are showing a decline; however, the African-American household has suffered the worst decline.
    In 1950, 17 percent of African-American children lived in a home with their mother but not their father. By 2010 that had increased to 50 percent. In 1965, only eight percent of childbirths in the Black community occurred out-of-wedlock. In 2010 that figure was 41 percent; and today, the out-of-wedlock childbirth in the Black community sits at an astonishing 72 percent. The number of African-American women married and living with their spouse was recorded as 53 percent in 1950. By 2010, it had dropped to 25 percent.

The original report titled ”The Negro Family: The Case for National Action,” was released in 1965 by the late New York Sen. Daniel Moynihan. Moynihan, who was the assistant labor secretary at the time of the report’s release, laid out a series of statistics on the African-American family. Moynihan, in his report’s conclusion declared, “at the heart of the deterioration of the fabric of Negro society is the deterioration of the Negro family. It is the fundamental source of the weakness of the Negro community at the present time.” Sadly, the outlook of the African-American family is more bleak than when Moynihan wrote his conclusion.

“An analysis of national data indicates that little progress has been made on the key issues Moynihan identified,” wrote Gregory Acs, of the Urban Institute, in a statement released with the report. “Further, many of the issues he identified for Black families are now prevalent among other families.” The Urban Institute’s report also added to the original scope of the Moynihan report to include the rate of incarceration, employment, and educational attainment in the African-American community. “Since the Moynihan report was released, another major social trend has put further strains on Black families — the mass incarceration of Black men,” Acs said. “By 2010, about one out of every six Black men had spent some time in prison, compared with about 1 out of 33 white men.”
    A demographic breakdown by race was not available for the 1965 report, but numbers beginning in 1974 showed disproportionate numbers of African-American men being sent to prison. In 1974, it was nine percent of Black men compared to one percent of white men. By 2010, that had risen to 16 percent of Black men and three percent of white men. The report did note that number has started to decline slightly among Black men.

Unemployment for African-American men remains more than twice as high as among white men. For white men in 1954, unemployment was zero. For African-American men in 1954, it was about 4 percent. By 2010 it was 16.7 percent for African-American men and 7.7 percent for white men. In 1954, 79 percent of African-American men were employed. By 2011 that had decreased to 57 percent. For Black women the numbers rose. In 1954, 43 percent of African-American women had jobs. By 2011 that had risen to 54 percent. The trend among African Americans was mirrored among whites, but in both cases white men and women fared better in terms of employment. Although the earnings gap between African-Americans and their white peers has narrowed, it still persists with Black men earning about 70 percent what white men do. In 1960, Black men earned about 60 percent what white men did.

There is one area of improvement: High school graduation. In 1964, fewer than half of African-American students finished high school. That compared to roughly 70 percent of white students. That has since risen to about 85 percent for both Blacks and whites. But, the number of Black students that repeat

http://blessedaaron08.wordpress.com...se-off-today-than-in-the-1960′s-report-shows/

7. jamesfrmphilly

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,745
    :11100: i lived in 1960 and i am still living now. it is better now than it was then.

8. shaka64

shaka64 STAFF STAFF

United States
    Photographer
    Ratings:
    +956
    I am from New Orleans and we have a number of areas that would be consider the Black bottom. All of the Housing projects are considered the bottom. Some of the wards are considered the bottom, 3rd 17th and 9th to name a few. I grew up in the 17th ward called Pigeon town. We were surrounded by Holly grove Gert town and ***** town. All are in the bottom
    I too believe we are worse off than we were in the 60s because we have the resources and opportunity now to do better and we do not.

9. Blackbird

Blackbird Well-Known Member MEMBER

Professional Hitman
    Ratings:
    +1,820
    The 17th. I haven't heard about Pigeontown in a hot minute. And Gerttown is getting down. People use to trip when they heard about Negrotown.

10. shaka64

shaka64 STAFF STAFF

United States
    Photographer
    Ratings:
    +956
    N i g g a town

Users found this page by searching for:

1. bottom boyz shreveport