Black People : The Black Belt that should have been

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by oldsoul, Oct 10, 2004.

1. OldSoul

OldSoul Permanent Black Man PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Staying Alive
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +976
    'In studying the history of Black land ownership, I became fascinated with those 45 years after slavery when Black people amassed over 16 million acres of land. As cruel as slavery was, it had not broken Black people to the point that they had given up on being free, independent and productive.
    Most of the land was in what is called the "Black Belt". 20 to 30 percent of the farmland in Virginia, North Carolina, Florida and Arkansas was owned by Blacks in 1910. 40 to 50 percent of the farm land in Louisiana, Alabama and Georgia was owned by Blacks. 50 to 60 percent was owned by Blacks in South Carolina, while over 60 percent of the farmland was owned by Blacks in Mississippi.
    These nine (9) contiguous states would have been a good base for economic development of the Black race in the early 1900s. Add to this the schools, hospitals, insurance companies and other institutions that Blacks had produced in this Black Belt region, and you have the beginning of a viable nation.
    However, the most startling thing that I discovered was the...'
    For the rest, Click here

2. KWABENA

KWABENA STAFF STAFF

United States
    Leader-Student-Teacher
    Ratings:
    +367
    Very interesting.

Now that explains why the South had the most trouble out of all the Blacks im the struggle. Just look at Rosewood. They took it over. That land right there is no longer ours!

So with that being said, How much land do black folks own now? I will be surprised if those numbers did not change.

Cedric Denson

3. NNQueen

NNQueen going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    Economic oppression, racism, greed and downright thievery is a common practice in America. This is great historical information but we all know that most liberal and free thinking Africans in America can't win the war trying to play by the rules written by their oppressors. Today, the battle is the same but the "rules" continuously change even though the goal hasn't for the oppressors. Being a land owner is a good beginning but I think our people discovered that it's not enough for us. We need to do more and something different. We're nice and are constantly just "trying to get along." We're guppies in a fish tank full of sharks. We have to change what we're doing--try to do what our ancestors did--but do it a different way. Maybe....just maybe...we're too "nice."

Don't you agree?

Queenie :spinstar:

4. Therious

Therious Banned MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,398
    GREAT POST OLD SKOOL. I AGREE QUEEN .

FAM AT THIS PERIOD WHT WOULD UR ANALYSIS ON AA'S B? I MEAN U ALWAYS HEAR SO MUCH NEGATIVITY WHICH IS THE TRUTH DRUG USE, IGNORANCE, AND VIOLENCE R CRIPLING US. BUT I WOULD STILL SAY THAT THE CURREWNT STATE OF BLACKS IS ON THE RISE, WE R THE MOST EDUCATED AT ANY TIME IN HISTORY, DESPITE OUR PROBLEMS I C US ON THE RISE...

5. Sekhemu

Sekhemu Well-Known Member MEMBER

priest
    Ratings:
    +1,064

As a member of a family that owns a considerable amount of land in Mississippi, I have to agree with you wholeheartedly Queenie. Owning land is not enough. We're definately too nice!

6. cherryblossom

cherryblossom Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5,560
    Thanks for this!

There are many southern Black families still fighting today to retain their land which has been family owned for many generations, going back over 100 years.

Land deeds and patents and copyrights and every other kind of legal document has been stolen from us; and many of us only have oral history left but no concrete proof because we were cheated out of it all.

This is yet another part of our history that needs to be told and remembered.