Black People : The Black August Movement

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by OmowaleX, Jun 23, 2002.

?

Who is the Most Positive Rap Artist

1. Dead Prez

4 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. Talib Kweli

2 vote(s)
    16.7%
  3. Common

6 vote(s)
    50.0%
  4. Mos Def

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. OmowaleX

OmowaleX Well-Known Member MEMBER

Educator
    Ratings:
    +42
    The hip hop community has been classified as an enemy of the state by law enforcement agencies. It comes down to everything from their dress to their lyrics. Hip hop is no different than any other art form, any other culture, any other group of youth attempting to express themselves.

The Black August Movement (BAM) is devoted to supporting youth everywhere as they express themselves through hip hop's range of visual and performance art forms.

The Black August Movement (BAM) strives to support the global development of hip hop culture by facilitating exchanges between international communities where hip hop is a vital part of youth culture and, by promoting awareness about the social and political issues that effect these youth communities.

Our goal is to bring culture and politics together and to allow them to naturally evolve into a unique hip hop consciousness that informs our collective struggle for a more just, equitable, and human world.

2. shaneak

shaneak Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Technical Support engineer
    Ratings:
    +7
    And the content of some Hip Hop... How will you teach the difference.. what is a hazardous to our society and what isn't? The filteration process?

3. $$RICH$$

$$RICH$$ Lyon King Admin. STAFF

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,177
    hummmm!!!! good point Shaneak....
    da answers yet told !

4. OmowaleX

Educator
    Ratings:
    +42
    @Shaneak
    Through an effective merging of hip hop culture and political information, the Movement promotes our own hip hop aesthetic, which emphasizes self-expression, creativity and community responsibility.

Organizing various Rap Festivals featuring artists who promote this aesthetic has been one of the principal means of addressing this concern by teaching youth social responsibility.

Using positive messages in hip hop music as a means of political education in promoting cultural awareness.

5. shaneak

United States
    Ratings:
    +7
    Okay.. I can understand that.

But how will you convert millions of youth to focus on your rap. I mean i'm sure you will have tons of speakers and go to tons of schools. But the fact remains.. they go home every day and watch MTV and BET. Have you attempted or already have some of the more popular hip hop artists currently in the profession also promoting this aesthetic?

I ask this question because I feel that this a good idea. But the youth follow certain artists.. Such as Jay Z.. and DMX.. whom I feel DMX current music somewhat addresses social issues in the society but also hurts its.. meaning its not all good for a childs ears. But he is one of the populars.

Or is this more like a Kirk Franklin thing?...

6. OmowaleX

Educator
    Ratings:
    +42
    @shaneak

Some of the artists who have performed in previous Rap Festivals are Dead Prez, Talib Kweli and HiTek, Black Thought, the Welfare Poets, and Mos Def. Supporters include Scratch from The Roots, Bahamadia, Cee Knowledge of Dibgable Planets, MeShell Ndegeocello, Les Nubiennes and Angelique Kidjo.

This Movemnet has been around for the past 30 years and has been brought to the attention to the masses since 1995. It is only a start in the direction of moving our youth towards greater social responsibility.

Proceeds from previous festivals have gone towards building a National Hip Hop Library in Havana, Cuba.

So I think it is more of a Public Enemy thing than Kirk Franklin!

7. shaneak

United States
    Ratings:
    +7
    okay.. Now I'm feeling dhat...

But Cuba?
    I'm not sure about other countries... but personally I think a black american would need that library more.. ;)

But anyways... If I can do anything to support it.. Please let me know.. It sounds like a great I idea and i'm willing to do what needs to be done to awaken many of our sleeping youth as well as young adults. I wish you guys had focused on it more in the U.S. (or maybe i just didn't hear anything about it) maybe things would have slowed down some as opposed to speeding up.

Just kind of curious though.. why were those proceeds devoted to a Hip Hop Library in another country.. as opposed to the US... I thought the US is where it actually derived from?...

By the way!!! We need more Public Enemies!!! ;)

8. OmowaleX

Educator
    Ratings:
    +42
    Black August

@shaneak

I believe that this occured because one of the leaders of the Black Liberation Army, Asaata Shakur is a political exile living in Cuba.

Many of the organizations which started the movement in California are non-existant or the leadership in prison disbanded and the organizations out here, in Los Angeles, did not put much emphasis into organizing on the issues of political prisoners.

Hip hop is very big in Cuba, having sponsored several of the Rap Festivals.

I agree though that more needs to be done in this country which is why I am posting in this forum and at other hip hop sites, to regenerate interest and expand the Movement.

Contact the Atlanta chapter of the Malcolm X Grassroots Movement in Stone Mountain.

More information is available at the following sites:

mxgm.org
    afrocubaweb.com

You can e--mail me at [email protected]

9. Nia Maishani

Nia Maishani Well-Known Member MEMBER

Business Owner
    Displaced at the Junction of Hoosiers and Bluegras
    Ratings:
    +1
    Dead Prez--Let's Get Free!!!

"No, I wasn't born in Ghana, but Afrikha is my Mama, and I did not end up here from bad Karma...I'm a Afrikhan, never was an 'African-American', blacker than black, I take it back to my origin, same skin hated by the klansmen, big nose and lips, big hips and butts dancin', wha?"

"...that's what the imperialists did to us with crack-cocaine; you got these young brothers out there thinkin' that they're getting something that they're going to make a living with; they're getting something so they can buy a car, like--'The white people have cars, why can't I have a car?'--they're gettin' something so they can get a piece of gold--'The white people have gold, why can't I have gold'?--they're gettin' something to get a house--'The white people have a house, why can't I have a house'?--and they actually think that it's something that's bringing resources to them, but they're KILLING themselves, just like the wolf who's licking the blade, and they're slowly dying without knowing it..........what happens is the wolf gets blamed for trying to live.....you don't blame the person/the victim, you blame the oppressor; imperialism--white power is the enemy --was the enemy when it first came to Afrika and snatched up the first Afrikans, brought us here against our will--IS the enemy today. That's the thing that we have to understand."

"It's bigger than Hip Hop...MC's get a little bit of love and think they hot, talkin' 'bout how much money they got, all y'all records sound the same, I'm sick of that fake thug R&B rap scenario all day on the radio, same scenes in the video, monotonous material, y'all don't hear me though...you will rather have a Lexus or justice? A dream or some substance? A beamer, a necklace or freedom? See, a brotha like me don't playa hate, I just stay awake, this' real Hip Hop, and it don't stop 'til we get them popo off the block, they call it Hip Hop...."

"Organize the hood under I Ching banners, red, black and green instead of gang bandanas. FBI spying on us through the radio antennas, and them hidden cameras in the streetlight watching society, with no respect for the people's right to privacy. I'll take a slug for The Cause like Huey P. while all you fake ****** try to copy Master P. "

"It's all love. I don't eat no meat, no dairy, no sweets, only ripe vegetables, fresh fruit and whole wheat. I'm from the ol' school, my household smell like soul food, bruh, curry falafel, barbeque tofu, no fish though, no candy bars, no cigarrettes, only Ganja and fresh squeezed juice from oranges, excercising DAILY to stay healthy, and I never drink water out the tap, 'cause its filthy....Life brings Life, it's valuable, so I eat what comes from the ground, it's Natural, let your food be your medicine, no Excederin, strictly herbs and I'm raised in the Sun 'cause I got Melanin and DRINK WATER, eight glasses a day, is that what they say..."

"Discipline makes things easier, organize your life.....Discipline--practice makes perfect, health is wealth, all things in moderation, plan you work, work your plan..."

:toast:

10. OmowaleX

Educator
    Ratings:
    +42
    Time once more to prepare for Black August 2003. Fight for the release of all Black Political Prisoners in the united states. Stop us war and aggression. Voice your concerns in regards to us involvement in Liberia and the Congo. Support progressive hip hop and the liberation movements of African people worldwide!