The Black Apologist

Discussion in 'Black Men - Fathers - Brothers - Sons' started by panafrica, Dec 4, 2004.

1. panafrica

panafrica Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +194
    Why do Black People feel the need to apologize for the actions of other Black People? Whether if be that "brother" who got caught on camera stealing...the "sister" who was fired for falsifying records...or the family man who feels obligated to apologize for all black men who don't take care of their children...why do Black people apologize for things they don't personally do?

2. PurpleMoons

PurpleMoons Administrator STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,102
    Great question!

I think most people apologize for the wrongful actions of others because they can relate to it to some degree. They understand what the person on the receiving end most be going through and look for words to comfort them.

Thats just one explanation, but I'm sure there are others.

3. Akilah

Akilah Well-Known Member MEMBER

Scheduling Coordinator for large Health System
    Ratings:
    +36
    Very thought provoking thread Panafrica,

I don't think that I feel the need to apologize for other black folks, but I do admit to feeling a sense of shame when other black folk do wrong to white people...for example, a beloved (white) shop owner known to many in the community for his kindness and charitable contributions and his wife were killed (gunned down) during a robbery by a young black man. When folks (white ) talked about it around town I felt as if I wanted to hide under a rock... as though the brutha's crime was a reflection upon the entire diaspora...and mostly me !!! And although I'm sure that extenuating circumstances likely led to his making this desperately wrong choice in life...everything from the legacy of slavery to perhaps growing up without a strong and decent black male role model in his life (actually another legacy of slavery)....I do not know that for a FACT... so I can't apologize for nor condone his actions.

However, when I hear about black folk doing wrong to each other... I feel it more personally ... I feel a deep sense of loss, despair and grief...like : Why are we hurting one another ??? I try to make sense of it by wondering to my self and asking others what could have made them "snap". Would that be the same as apologizing or condoning ??? I know I should feel more than embarrased when black folks victimize whites. I have no idea why I don't ... must be some deep seated rage :censored:... or sumthin'...go figure

Much Peace,
    Akilah :spinstar:

4. $$RICH$$

$$RICH$$ Lyon King Admin. STAFF

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,178
    I think sometime we look upon it as if our culture has been labled to be destructive
    and when our people cross the line into the stage where we already labled it shame
    the whole as Blacks so some may step up to apologist in respect of what happen
    but my self i can't account for bruthas who don't take care there family & children
    they don't shame me nor hurt me but i feel for the broken home and children
    i really don't know why we do this but we do .

5. HODEE

HODEE Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    (RF) Technician
    ( Alonewolf ) California.. by way of the LOU
    Ratings:
    +795
    akilah.. let go of my thought strings. :D lol

I don't think that I feel the need to apologize for other black folks, but I do admit to feeling a sense of shame when other black folk do wrong to white people...for example, a beloved (white) shop owner known to many in the community for his kindness and charitable contributions and his wife were killed (gunned down) during a robbery by a young black man. When folks (white ) talked about it around town I felt as if I wanted to hide under a rock... as though the brutha's crime was a reflection upon the entire diaspora...and mostly me !!!

There is no excuse for that young man. He will burn in hecktor when he dies. Maybe he is burning now. Internally. A man dies a thousand deaths and he doesn't have to lay down.

The folks of the gun clubs and NRA should get some of the blame for blocking better ways of monitoring the control of weapons. Getting ballistics, or serializing the bullets with a laser. The government made all these weapons, ans sold them to poor folks, thru the network of men. Evil men.

==================
    http://community-2.webtv.net/PAULNUBIAEMPIRE/WHYMANYBELIEVETHERE

We know that the developed nations are using biological warfare, leaving guns to the primitive people, they have the resources to do this."
    =================
    And to us. Bringing in drugs and taking no responsibility but to collect the cartel money. Paying in the sixty for vacsetomys free for blacks to help the population of us ( genocide again ) , and unwanted abandoned children from being born and I also blame those who creating the welfare system. Built the projects, and jails to raise state funds and revenue. Testing radiation on poor children by radiating the milk, putting the radiation in tootpaste and testing LSD and sphyllis on blacks from 1932 to 1975 just to witness and collect the data and keeping the cure secret and away from these men. Test results were needed. :puke:

But the answer to the comment Akilah is. That young man like many criminals for money , for land, and all other crime. Commit crime against easy targets, trusting targets because upon entering the door. No one expect them to be down for a wrong. Befriend the Indians and then kill them. I have a blood line in my family that is Native american. I love them too.

Bless all who are killed and gone. In streets . In Wars. In tragedy, and crime. By abortion,. Thru unexpected and unbelieveable means. Those food poisoned and drugged by love ones everyone. Everyone.

6. Ralfa'il

Ralfa'il Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +16
    Panafrica

This is a good question you brought up.....

I often times catch myself doing this also, especially when it comes to negative and degenerate music coming across on the radio and I'm in the presence of non-blacks.

It's almost automatic for me to tell them that this is NOT "black music" but trash that white executives are pumping into our community with which we have little control over.

While some of it has to do with low self esteem, I think it's because so many of us are fed up with stereotypes about us and have actually seen so much negativity comming from our people that we feel the strong urge to "counter" it in some way either in behavior or words so that other people won't get the wrong impression.

Many of us are tired of seeing the same negativity among our people ourselves and feel we have an obligation to atleast let other people know that all of us aren't negative.

7. panafrica

panafrica Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +194

Good insight! If no one esle has done so, welcome to Destee.com.

8. karmashines

karmashines Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +19
    I never felt the need to apologize for what other blacks do, but I do get upset every time I see a black person's face plastered on the news for a heinous crime. My first response is, "Why did they have to be black?!"

9. Ralfa'il

Ralfa'il Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +16
    PanAfrica

Thanx for the welcome bro....

10. atman

atman Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0
    apologize for what?

I barely apologize for the wrongs I commit... why would I bother apologizing for what some complete stranger did? Ridicule 'em, yes. Apologize for 'em, no.