Black Spirituality Religion : THE BIBLICAL ROOTS OF RACISM...

Jehiah said:
Here is what the Bible really tells you about blackness (darkness) in 2nd Chronicles 5-6: "Then said Solomon, The Lord has said that He would dwell in the thick darkness." Maybe you missed that one.
I wasn't looking for it...however, we know that God dwelt in darkness..."from the darkness came the Light."

Jehiah said:
ln Psalms 97:2, the Bible tells you that "Clouds and thick darkness surround him; righteousness and justice are the foundation of his throne."
Here is the verse in its entirety:

"The LORD reigns; Let the earth rejoice; Let the multitude of isles be glad! Righteousness and justice are the foundation of His throne."

And your point?

Jehiah said:
Try Psalms 18:11-12 where Darkness and Light are intertwined in meaning and description. Darkness is not literally used at all at degrading the race of black people. ln the Bible, darkness does not imply "my skin is my sin"...
You're right, Jehiah. In the Bible light and darkness are translated as knowledge and ignorance...

And Jehiah, when I said, "and the Bible tells me so" I was referring to the 9th chapter of Genesis. Quoting from my thread:

"The Bible not only provided a rich harvest of imagery linking the undesirable with the black and dark, but, as well, unwittingly furnished the source for the justification of racism on 'religious' grounds...

In the 9th chapter of Genesis is recorded the odd story of Noah’s curse on his grandson Canaan, Ham’s son. After having 'drank of the vine' and become intoxicated, Noah fell asleep nude in his tent, where the unfortunate Ham happened to see him lying naked. When Noah awoke and realized that Ham had seen him 'uncovered,' he swore: 'Cursed be Canaan, a servant of servants shall he be unto his brethren...'"

The “curse of Ham” is probably the most common racist argument made from the Bible. Slaveholders and some missionaries taught that Noah's sons Shem, Ham and Japheth represent Asians, Blacks, and Caucasians respectively.

The reasoning presumes that Jesus was Caucasian, though this is incredible since people in the Near East aren’t white. According to Genesis 9:18 Ham was Black. It says that he was the ancestor of the Canaanites, whom God said to annihilate. This obviously leads to genocide, slavery and outright exploitation.

Noah cursed Canaan, Ham’s son, for his perversity, which continued in the Canaanite people. And - the false argument goes - Blacks are still cursed, which explains their poverty and struggles. The visible mark of the curse is dark skin.

This false argument has been leveled against Black people by white racists and religious bigots. In the south the “curse of Ham” argument is still widespread...

You're right dre...

Though the Biblical story, confused and obscure as it is, could easily be used to justify slavery, it makes no reference whatsoever to skin color. Yet, prior to the 17th century the legend had been embellished in numerous ways, the most important associating the “servant of servants” with Ethiopians in particular, and Africans in general. The link between the curse on Ham’s progeny and blackness had been firmly established before the first English settlements were founded in North America...

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back