Black Spirituality Religion : THE BIBLE AND ASTROLOGY...

And your condemnation of astrology is out of context, Music Producer. There are only two specific discussions of the word "astrologers" in the Bible, and it is in the following passage from Isaiah 47:13, which is often cited as a Biblical "condemnation" of astrology. (I have to admit that when someone showed this passage to me for the first time, it looked like it was saying that all astrologers would burn in hell!)

"Thou art wearied in the multitude of thy counsels. Let now the astrologers, the stargazers, the monthly prognosticators, stand up, and save thee from these things that shall come upon thee. Behold, they shall be as stubble; the fire shall burn them; they shall not deliver themselves from the power of the flame: there shall not be a coal to warm at, nor fire to sit before it..."

But I forgot to ask myself, "who is the 'thou' and 'thee' Isaiah is talking to?" On first reading this out-of-context quotation, it appeared to me that it was saying that astrologers would be burned, presumably for practicing astrology. Naturally, I was concerned, and resolved to check it out for myself. After a thorough reading of the verses "in context," it appeared to be saying nothing more than that the God of the Israelites was going to punish the King of the Babylonians and his people, and that nothing - not even the Babylonian King's astrologers and other wise counselors - could do anything to save the Babylonians from the wrath of God. (Babylon was located in the region of Mesopotamia, which is now Iraq.)

Remember that the Babylonians had taken the Israelites into captivity, which really means into slavery. And Isaiah was an Israelite. To the children of Israel, the Babylonians were evil oppressors and enemies of the Hebrew people. They hoped their God would smite the Babylonians and free them from captivity and slavery. Here are the verses immediately before AND after Isaiah 47:13, in which "thee" refers to the nation of Babylon, not to astrologers:

"Therefore shall evil come upon thee; thou shalt not know from whence it riseth: and mischief shall fall upon thee; thou shalt not be able to put it off: and desolation shall come upon thee suddenly, which thou shalt not know. Thus shall they be unto thee with whom thou hast labored - even thy merchants - from thy youth: they shall wander every one to his quarter; none shall save thee."

This, then, is not a condemnation of astrologers, nor of the practice of astrology - but a condemnation of the King of Babylon and his people, who were enemies of the Israelites. Isaiah is saying that no one can save them, and mentions "astrologers" and "stargazers" among other kinds of counselors, and even the merchants of Babylon as being powerless against the will of God.

To assume that this passage condemns the practice of astrology itself is a misinterpretation of the true meaning of this Biblical prophecy. If this is taken to "condemn" astrology, then by the same misguided logic one would have to say that it also condemns "merchants." But it does not condemn them...it only says that they cannot save the King from the God of Israel. No human could save the King from God's plan, and later events proved this to be true, according to the Biblical account...

Music Producer said:
If what you say is true, tell us something, predict something, and prophesy to us. What do the stars tell you?
You mean, "tell me something, predict something, and prophesy to me." :laugh: I'll tell you about yourself first...but in order to do so I would need your date, exact time (if possible), and place of birth...

Music Producer said:
The way you speak you should be able to tell us at least 4 numbers from the California Super Lotto before it is drawn, go for it.
Again, you mean to say that "I should be able to tell you at least 4 numbers"...etc. Astrologers are not fortune tellers...sorcerers are. The astrologer avails himself of a force that he knows; the sorcerer seeks to misuse a force he does not understand. The astrologer is the sovereign pontiff of Nature; the sorcerer is her profaner. I suggest you seek out a sorcerer and go for it...:laugh:

Aqil said:
You mean, "tell me something, predict something, and prophesy to me." :laugh: I'll tell you about yourself first...but in order to do so I would need your date, exact time (if possible), and place of birth...

Again, you mean to say that "I should be able to tell you at least 4 numbers"...etc. Astrologers are not fortune tellers...sorcerers are. The astrologer avails himself of a force that he knows; the sorcerer seeks to misuse a force he does not understand. The astrologer is the sovereign pontiff of Nature; the sorcerer is her profaner. I suggest you seek out a sorcerer and go for it...:laugh:
06 03 1965 (time not possible) Lexington Kentucky

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

TractorsPakistan.com is one of the leading tractor exporters from Pakistan to Africa and the Caribbean regions.
HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Back