Black Spirituality Religion : THE BIBLE AND ASTROLOGY...

Discussion in 'Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion' started by Aqil, Apr 24, 2003.

1. Aqil

Aqil Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +114
    THE BIBLE AND ASTROLOGY

There are many passages in the Bible which show that astrology was well recognized and acknowledged in Biblical times. Belief in astrology is compatible with (and related to) belief in traditional Christian teachings. I encourage you to look up these passages and read the Bible stories in their full context...

This passage in Luke refers directly to the astrological powers of the Heavenly bodies:

Luke 21:25 – And there shall be signs in the sun, and in the moon, and in the stars; and upon the earth distress of nations, with perplexity; the sea and the waves roaring.

Matthew tells the story of the three Wise Men, known as the Magi. Many theological experts have declared these Magi to be astrologers, to whom the star in the east was of major cosmic significance. The magnificent star Matthew describes that guided the Magi to the Christ was the conjunction between the planets Jupiter and Saturn on the meridian over Bethlehem, Palestine in the year 7 BC...thus "The Star of Bethlehem").

The Magi, according to other historical writings, were unsurpassed in their wisdom and knowledge of things luminous. It was, in fact, one of the Persian Magi who predicted the birth of Christ. "The Star of Bethlehem," of course, foretold the birth of Christ...

Here are some passages directly from the Bible:

Matthew 2:2 – Saying, Where is he that is born King of the Jews? For we have seen his star in the east, and are come to worship him.

Matthew 2:7 – Then Herod, when he had privily called the wise men, enquired of them diligently what time the star appeared.

Matthew 2:9 – When they had heard the king, they departed; and, lo, the star, which they saw in the east, went before them, till it came and stood over where the young child was.

Matthew 2:10 – When they saw the star, they rejoiced with exceeding great joy.

These poetic passages celebrate the heavenly components of astrology:

1st Corinthians 15:41 – There is one glory of the sun, and another glory of the moon, and another glory of the stars: for one star differeth from another star in glory.

Psalms 8:3 – When I consider thy heavens, the work of thy fingers, the moon and the stars, which thou hast ordained.

Psalms 89:37 – It shall be established forever as the moon, and as a faithful witness in heaven.

Psalms 147:4 – He telleth the number of the stars; he calleth them all by their names.

Comets, shooting stars, and meteors have long been associated with widespread disasters. Global adverse effects may be triggered by these phenomena. The following dramatic passages demonstrate the Bible's recognition of these facts:

Revelation 8:10 – And the third angel sounded, and there fell a great star from heaven, burning as it were a lamp, and it fell upon the third part of the rivers, and upon the fountains of waters.

Revelation 9:1 – And the fifth angel sounded, and I saw a star fall from heaven unto the earth: and to him was given the key of the bottomless pit.

Mark 13:25 – And the stars of heaven shall fall, and the powers that are in heaven shall be shaken.

Joseph has an astrological dream:

Genesis 37:9 – And he dreamed yet another dream, and told it his brethren, and said, Behold, I have dreamed a dream more; and, behold, the sun and the moon and the eleven stars made obeisance to me.

This passage is clear by itself:

Isaiah 47:13 – Let now the astrologers, the stargazers, the monthly prognosticators, stand up, and save thee from these things that shall come upon thee.

This passage is also straightforward as to its meaning:

Jeremiah 31:35 – Thus saith the Lord, which giveth the sun for a light by day, and the ordinances of the moon and of the stars for a light by night, which divideth the sea when the waves thereof roar; The Lord of hosts is his name.

In the book of Daniel, he competes with astrologers and others to interpret the dreams of King Nebuchadnezzar, before he is thrown into the lion's den:

Daniel 2:10 – The Chaldeans answered before the king, and said, 'There is not a man upon the earth that can shew the king's matter: therefore there is no king, lord, nor ruler, that asked such things at any magician, or astrologer, or Chaldean.'

Daniel 1:20 – And in all matters of wisdom and understanding, that the king inquired of them, he found them ten times better than all the magicians and astrologers that were in all his realm.

Daniel 2:2 – Then the king commanded to call the magicians, and the astrologers, and the sorcerers, and the Chaldeans, for to shew the king his dreams. So they came and stood before the king.

Daniel 2:27 – Daniel answered in the presence of the king, and said, 'The secret which the king hath demanded cannot the wise men, the astrologers, the magicians, the soothsayers, shew unto the king.'

Daniel 4:7 – Then came in the magicians, the astrologers, the Chaldeans, and the soothsayers: and I told the dream before them; but they did not make known unto me the interpretation thereof.

Daniel 5:7 – The king cried aloud to bring in the astrologers, the Chaldeans, and the soothsayers. And the king spake, and said to the wise men of Babylon, Whosoever shall read this writing, and shew me the interpretation thereof, shall be clothed with scarlet, and have a chain of gold about his neck, and shall be the third ruler in the kingdom.

Daniel 5:11 – There is a man in thy kingdom, in whom is the spirit of the holy gods; and in the days of thy father light and understanding and wisdom, like the wisdom of the gods, was found in him; whom the king Nebuchadnezzar thy father, the king, I say, thy father, made master of the magicians, astrologers, Chaldeans, and soothsayers.

Daniel 5:15 – And now the wise men, the astrologers, have been brought in before me, that they should read this writing, and make known unto me the interpretation thereof, but they could not give the interpretation of the thing.

Further verification of the cosmic science astrology can be found in Psalms 19:1-4, which reads as follows:

“The Heavens declare the glory of God; and the firmament showeth His handiwork. Day unto day uttereth speech, and night unto night showeth knowledge. There is no speech nor language where their voice is not heard. Their line is gone out through all the Earth, and their words to the end of the world.”

And Jeremiah 10:2

"Thus sayeth the Lord; learn not the way of the heathen, and be not dismayed at the signs of Heaven, for the heathen are dismayed at them."

2. Aqil

Ratings:
    +114
    There are also several scriptures that mention the cosmic significance of the New Moon (i.e., when the Sun and Moon are conjoined in the Heavens):

Numbers 29:6 - Besides the burnt offering with its grain offering for the New Moon, the regular burnt offering with its grain offering, and their drink offerings, according to their ordinance, as a sweet aroma, an offering made by fire to the LORD.

1 Samuel 20:5 - And David said to Jonathan, 'Indeed tomorrow is the New Moon, and I should not fail to sit with the king to eat. But let me go, that I may hide in the field until the third day at evening.'

1 Samuel 20:18 - Then Jonathan said to David, 'Tomorrow is the New Moon; and you will be missed, because your seat will be empty.'

1 Samuel 20:24 - Then David hid in the field. And when the New Moon had come, the king sat down to eat the feast.

2 Kings 4:23 - So he said, 'Why are you going to him today? It is neither the New Moon nor the Sabbath.' And she said, 'It is well.'

1 Chronicles 23:31 - And at every presentation of a burnt offering to the LORD on the Sabbaths and on the New Moons and on the set feasts, by number according to the ordinance governing them, regularly before the LORD...

2 Chronicles 2:4 - Behold, I am building a temple for the name of the LORD my God, to dedicate it to Him, to burn before Him sweet incense, for the continual showbread, for the burnt offerings morning and evening, on the Sabbaths, on the New Moons, and on the set feasts of the LORD our God. This is an ordinance forever to Israel.

2 Chronicles 8:13 - According to the daily rate, offering according to the commandment of Moses, for the Sabbaths, the New Moons, and the three appointed yearly feasts - the Feast of Unleavened Bread, the Feast of Weeks, and the Feast of Tabernacles.

2 Chronicles 31:3 - The king also appointed a portion of his possessions for the burnt offerings: for the morning and evening burnt offerings, the burnt offerings for the Sabbaths and the New Moons and the set feasts, as it is written in the Law of the LORD.

Ezra 3:5 - Afterwards they offered the regular burnt offering, and those for New Moons and for all the appointed feasts of the LORD that were consecrated, and those of everyone who willingly offered a freewill offering to the LORD

Nehemiah 10:33 - For the showbread, for the regular grain offering, for the regular burnt offering of the Sabbaths, the New Moons, and the set feasts; for the holy things, for the sin offerings to make atonement for Israel, and all the work of the house of our God.

Psalm 81:3 - Blow the trumpet at the time of the New Moon, At the Full Moon, on our solemn feast day.

Isaiah 1:13 - Bring no more futile sacrifices; Incense is an abomination to me. The New Moons, the Sabbaths, and the calling of assemblies - I cannot endure iniquity and the sacred meeting.

Isaiah 1:14 - Your New Moons and your appointed feasts my soul hates; They are a trouble to me, I am weary of bearing them.

Isaiah 66:23 - And it shall come to pass, that from one New Moon to another, and from one Sabbath to another, all flesh shall come to worship before Me, says the LORD.

Ezekiel 45:17 - Then it shall be the prince's part to give burnt offerings, grain offerings, and drink offerings, at the feasts, the New Moons, the Sabbaths, and at all the appointed seasons of the house of Israel. He shall prepare the sin offering, the grain offering, the burnt offering, and the peace offerings to make atonement for the house of Israel.

Ezekiel 46:1 - Thus saith the Lord GOD: 'The gateway of the inner court that faces toward the east shall be shut the six working days; but on the Sabbath it shall be opened, and on the day of the New Moon it shall be opened.'

Ezekiel 46:3 - Likewise the people of the land shall worship at the entrance to this gateway before the LORD on the Sabbaths and the New Moons.

Ezekiel 46:6 - On the day of the New Moon, it shall be a young bull without blemish, six lambs, and a ram; they shall be without blemish...

Hosea 2:11 - I will also cause all her mirth to cease, her feast days, her New Moons, her Sabbaths - all her appointed feasts.

Hosea 5:7 - They have dealt treacherously with the LORD, for they have begotten pagan children. Now a New Moon shall devour them and their heritage.

Amos 8:5 - Saying: 'When will the New Moon be past, that we may sell grain? And the Sabbath, that we may trade wheat? Making the ephah small and the shekel large, falsifying the scales by deceit...'

Colossians 2:16 - So let no one judge you in food or in drink, or regarding a festival or a New Moon or Sabbaths...

3. Aqil

Ratings:
    +114
    Plans and decisions are easier made during the time of the New Moon. This is because the luminaries are in conjunction, thus their influences are working together in unison. At the time of the Full Moon there is liable to be conflict, because of the opposition between the luminaries.

Those born on the day of the New Moon – when the Sun and Moon are in the same sign – usually prove to be quite successful in their undertakings because they center their forces on just one main activity...

4. Aqil

Ratings:
    +114
    The Magi (i.e., the Wise Men), according to other historical writings, were unsurpassed in their wisdom and knowledge of things luminous...

5. Divine_Thought

Divine_Thought Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0
    peace and blessings...thank you for all of this really good information. growing up in a christian church i was always taught that anything to do with astrology was paganism...but now i understand that learning about the energies and influence of the stars, planets, and lunar phases are not in opposition to my faith...in fact, if anything, it enhances it. i don't think that astrology is worshiping the stars...its understanding that the Creator's presence, intelligence, and essence is present in all things, including the celestial bodies. nothing in existence was created by chance, everything has a Divine order and intelligence to it...and by learning about the planets, the phases of the moon, the changes in the seasons, and even the different times of the day i can better be in tune with natural order of life.

6. Aqil

Ratings:
    +114
    You're quite welcome, Divine_Thought...and thank you for your enlightening comments...

7. Aqil

Ratings:
    +114
    “The Heavens declare the glory of God; and the firmament showeth His handiwork. Day unto day uttereth speech, and night unto night showeth knowledge. There is no speech nor language where their voice is not heard. Their line is gone out through all the Earth, and their words to the end of the world.”

(Psalms 19:1-4)

8. Aqil

Ratings:
    +114
    First of all let me say that I didn't see your post until after my last post in the homosexuality thread. I attempted to respond but the thread has been closed. No avoidance whatsoever, as I will respond to your post here. Re: your first two questions I refer you to this thread for further edification and clarification as it relates to my point of view.

True...however, astrology is not a doctrine...

I overstand...

I see...

It is still practiced in America. More than likely the largest percentage of homosexuals in the world reside in this country. And as I've stated in another thread: Homosexuality is considered normal within the context of Western Caucasian culture...it is abnormal in the cultures of people of color...

Be that as it may, however, God condemns this abhorrant behavior in those He created in His own image...

First of all, God has broken it down for us. Homosexuality is forbidden by God in all the holy books of the world...the Holy Bible, the Holy Qur'an, the Bhagavad Gita, the Torah and Talmud, and the Hindu Vedic Scriptures. Secondly, all agree that homosexuality is not "a thing of human nature."

I for one care...I wouldn't want my children to grow up in a neighborhood where men were married to men and women were married to women...and then tell them it's normal. It is impossible for homosexuals and lesbians to be role models...

Be that as it may, and many of us have relatives who practice this deviant behavior, myself included, it does not negate the fact that God condemns it...

She is right. That is because hate is unnatural...and so is homosexuality and lesbianism...

9. dadachango69

dadachango69 Well-Known Member MEMBER

Film Screenwriter
    Ratings:
    +2
    POINT ONE OF TWO

Brotha Aqil,

Thank you for pointing out the Bbilical references. It will serve for future study. I understand the Bible as I once was an Evangelical minister who secretly practiced astrology much to the chagrin of a few folks who found out and tried to really grill me. I used to teach Bible study and was shunned for my "blasphemous" tongue. "Blasphemous" only because I questioned the words I was reading. I am a lover of Truth, so I pursued the study of astrology anyway.

I am not stuck in one specific religious framework, but tend to rise behind the reasons for religious thought. I can respect it as a book of wisdom though there are parts to it that clearly denounce it as "conjuring" (Book of Daniel). Perhaps your take on it can provide some valuable insight. I appreciate that we can build on this information.

I have always been taught that Magi were astrologer-kings, but even THEY had to bow down before this "Jesus". The evangelic passages surrounding the birth of the one called "Jesus" would therefore only serve as a reminder that there is no one BUT Jesus.

I tend to use the King James version for its inclusion of the Apocrypha. I was once taught (back in my Christian period) the following:

Deuteronomy 18:10-13
    "There shall not be found among you any one that maketh his son or his daughter to pass through the fire, or that useth divination, or an observer of times, or an enchanter, or a witch. Or a charmer, or a consulter with familiar spirits, or a wizard, or a necromancer. For all that do these things are an abomination unto the LORD: and because of these abominations the LORD thy God doth drive them out from before thee. Thou shalt be perfect with the LORD thy God."

Isaiah 47:12-15
    "Stand now with thine enchantments, and with the multitude of thy sorceries, wherein thou hast laboured from thy youth; if so be thou shalt be able to profit, if so be thou mayest prevail. Thou art wearied in the multitude of thy counsels. Let now the astrologers, the stargazers, the monthly prognosticators, stand up, and save thee from these things that shall come upon thee. Behold, they shall be as stubble; the fire shall burn them; they shall not deliver themselves from the power of the flame: there shall not be a coal to warm at, nor fire to sit before it. Thus shall they be unto thee with whom thou hast laboured, even thy merchants, from thy youth: they shall wander every one to his quarter; none shall save thee."

Jeremiah 10:2
    "Thus saith the LORD, Learn not the way of the heathen, and be not dismayed at the signs of heaven; for the heathen are dismayed at them."

Deuteronomy 4:19
    "Be careful that you don't worship the sun, moon, and stars."
    (This one I took as that we shouldn't let it RULE us, so maybe it is a weak argument.)

Deuteronomy 17:2-5
    "If there be found among you, within any of thy gates which the LORD thy God giveth thee, man or woman, that hath wrought wickedness in the sight of the LORD thy God, in transgressing his covenant, and hath gone and served other gods, and worshipped them, either the sun, or moon, or any of the host of heaven, which I have not commanded; and it be told thee, and thou hast heard of it, and enquired diligently, and, behold, it be true, and the thing certain, that such abomination is wrought in Israel. Then shalt thou bring forth that man or that woman, which have committed that wicked thing, unto thy gates, even that man or that woman, and shalt stone them with stones, till they die."

Leviticus 20:6
    "And the soul that turneth after such as have familiar spirits, and after wizards, to go a whoring after them, I will even set my face against that soul, and will cut him off from among his people."

Daniel 2:27-28
    "Daniel answered in the presence of the king, and said, 'The secret which the king hath demanded cannot the wise men, the astrologers, the magicians, the soothsayers, shew unto the king; But, there is a God in heaven that revealeth secrets, and maketh known to the king Nebuchadnezzar what shall be in the latter days. Thy dream, and the visions of thy head upon thy bed, are these...'"

Acts 16:16-18
    "And it came to pass, as we went to prayer, a certain damsel possessed with a spirit of divination met us, which brought her masters much gain by soothsaying. The same followed Paul and us, and cried, saying, These men are the servants of the most high God, which shew unto us the way of salvation. And this did she many days. But Paul, being grieved, turned and said to the spirit, I command thee in the name of Jesus Christ to come out of her. And he came out the same hour."

2 Chronicles 33:6
    "And he caused his children to pass through the fire in the valley of the son of Hinnom: also he observed times, and used enchantments, and used witchcraft, and dealt with a familiar spirit, and with wizards: he wrought much evil in the sight of the LORD, to provoke him to anger."

Throughout the Biblical books, "God" allows only His prophets (those who predict Him for some reason) to accurately interpret any kind of "signs". When the Bible talks of signs in the stars, heavens, or whatever, they're usually literal signs:

Luke 21:24-26
    "And they shall fall by the edge of the sword, and shall be led away captive into all nations: and Jerusalem shall be trodden down of the Gentiles, until the times of the Gentiles be fulfilled. And there shall be signs in the sun, and in the moon, and in the stars; and upon the earth distress of nations, with perplexity; the sea and the waves roaring; Men's hearts failing them for fear, and for looking after those things which are coming on the earth: for the powers of heaven shall be shaken."

As far as my destiny as an astrologer... they hit me off with this:

Matthew 7:22-24
    "Then I will tell them plainly, `I never knew you. Away from me, you evildoers!' Many will say to me on that day, `Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name, and in your name drive out demons and perform many miracles?' Then I will tell them plainly, `I never knew you. Away from me, you evildoers!' Therefore everyone who hears these words of mine and puts them into practice is like a wise man who built his house on the rock."

What do you think of these passages?

10. gempis

gempis Well-Known Member MEMBER

strength coach
    Ratings:
    +32
    Excellent points one and all, dadachango69. You have done a supreme job at showing how the Bible can be twisted to "show" whatever the reader wants it to say. There are as many different interpretations of it as there are those who believe in it. The Bible is completely subjective, as was the writing of it in the first place - passed on orally for years and years before it was even written down. No one knows what was fact, what was exaggerated, what was added or forgotten.

dadachango69, I also appreciate you sticking to the topic of this thread.