THE BATON ROUGE BUS BOYCOTT:THE FIRST SUCCESSFUL OF SEGREGATED PUBLIC TRANSPORTATION.

Discussion in 'Honoring Black Ancestors' started by Isaiah, Sep 24, 2004.

1. Isaiah

Isaiah Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +62
    http://www.lib.lsu.edu/special/exhibits/boycott/index.html

I just posted to a board where they were debating about the lawsuit involving Mrs. Rosa and Outkast, as well as, the inflammatory stuff Cedric said in the movie Barbershop... What goes unnoticed, and comletely ignored is the fact that the boycott of buses in Baton Rouge, Lousiana was the very first successful Bus Boycott of Segregated transportation in the United States... This is a very good website, with pictures that depict the times... Excellent, because they say pictures are worth a thousand words... For the youth, as well as some of the old-timers... Enjoy your history...

Peace!
    Isaiah

2. MississippiRed

MississippiRed Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +34
    Isaiah man you come with it bruh....that's in my part of the country well about 85 miles from where I'm from part of the reason things in that part of the country got overlooked is because no big names were involved plus we just don't get no love......that LSU library has a bucket load of books, articles, and info on our struggle down there man...tons of info on Medger, Wharlest, the bus boycott, the Natchez Boycott man I could spend days in there ...

Mississippi Red
    Thank you for this article.

3. Isaiah

Isaiah Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +62
    Mississippi, What Up, Dawg!(smile!) Now, when you mentioned Wharlest Jackson, you messed me up, good brother! Not many folks bring that kinda knowledge to the table, because, as you said, for some reason, Birmingham and Montgomery got, and get, all of the ink... It is like the rest of the deep south was paradise for our folks, man(smile!)

Mississippi was the greatest and worst battleground of 'em all, and it produced some of the greatest freedom fighters, like Mrs. Hamer, Wharlest, Dr. Gilbert Mason, Vernon Dahmer, Mrs. Sally McGhee, and her sons, Silas and Jake McGhee... And let's not forget Tallahassee, and the Rev. C.K. Steele, and his transportation boycott down there... You know, brother, people seem to think it was Montgomery, and then this thing was like history... We had to fight these ******** every inch of the way in all of the 13 confederate states for our freedom - still doing it all over the country... They still don't want us to know that, and wish it would all just go away...(smile!) Thank God we gots Destee, and her wonderful Forum... Destee, The bill must and will be paid shuga, jus' hold on(smile!)

Peace!
    Isaiah

4. MississippiRed

MississippiRed Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +34
    Appreciate the good word Isaiah...yeah a lot of folk outside the South in general and Mississippi specifically don't know about a lot of our heroes man and it's sad that a lot of these folk are still alive the history of what they did is largely unknown...The reason I know about Wharlest is that he was one of my Daddy's potnas he was blown up at the tire plant about 5 miles from the house I was raised in and as a kid his Wharlest II was a substitute teacher for us at times.....Daddy always made sure to tell me and my knucklehead potnas about those times and the people involved then..even got to meet some of them but at the time was too young to realize their importance....and you're right folk tend to look at Montgomery, Martin and the freedom riders and Emmet Till and think that's the whole story...there were many many others who fought for us back then in every corner of the South and you're right it's a fight we still fight....the city of Natchez (my hometown ) just elected it's first Black Mayor since radical reconstruction he's a good man Philip West time will only tell how much he can do for us though but I know he'll try.but that's a name that will go down in history that no one for the most part will ever know.....I have always said and still say Mississippi don't get no love man we are the forgotten South, the but of jokes , but to a lot of brothers and sisters in every corner of America Mississippi is the Motherland...a place where a lot of Black blood was spilled so we could simply do what every human should be able to do.....Mississippi has never recovered from the civil war and slavery as is evidenced by our ranking in quality of living lists....last in education, last in income, among the top in child mortality rates, among the top with children born into poverty etc etc....but I thank you for bringing to light some of the forgotten struggles or Mississippi and Louisiana and putting them on these forums for us all to see and remember just how big and brutal the struggle for civil rights was and still is....

Mississippi Red
    I am Mississippi until I am gone