Black People : The Basics Of Boycott

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by Asomfwaa, Mar 11, 2012.

1. Asomfwaa

Asomfwaa Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +2,564
    African Siblings,

I questioned our people in Brooklyn asking them where was the strong Black community in our borough. They rubbed their chin but still could not find the community{edit}.

I decided that I should make one. Particularly by destroying the large exploitation going on in certain corners of our community.

So I am to design a flyer--for the masses.

A flyer with WHO/What/WHere . . .. But also with history and logic. 'Cause folk may ask "Why call us African?" or "Why prop up African businesses?" or so on and so forth.

More--we can't boycott without alternatives--that's call a delay of business.

What should I look into in order to make sure that a boycott is most effective.

I was thinking--maybe a weekly boycott, with a fair on every boycott day, where vendors receive monies in place of the businesses being boycotted.

If successful, we can up the frequency--maybe bi-weekly--maybe daily--from there when the businesses close, we organize how to take over: Grocery Store, Department Store, Light Industries, so on and so forth.

That spoken--What can everyone pitch to this idea? No negativity please. I'm speaking to the people and they are (nominally) willing.

HOTEP

2. word up

word up Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +75
    Great idea! We need alternatives. And like you said, we need strong answers, undebatable answers to some questions that our people have but never ask.

3. Asomfwaa

Ratings:
    +2,564
    HTP--As NYC, you should help.

Throw me some questions to think about.

4. word up

word up Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +75
    Ok, Marcus Garvey asked these questions as well so we can use his model. He asked where is the Black mans armies, big men of business, etc.

But this is a new time so i would ask:

1.) What is a Black neighborhood if there a no African American businesses? Or rather in a more stinging way, What ethnic group in America has communities that are full of businesses run by everybody except them?

2.) Where are the famous non-rapper, non-celebrity sneaker owners?

3.) Why call yourself African American and you don't embrace one thing African?

4.) Can a people really be respected if they don't own and control their communities?

5.) Does the African American personality primarily consist of running away from who you are and running towards who you ain't?
    6.) Name 10 non-celebrity rich Black people?

7.) If Arabs have oil, Asians have technology and manufacture, White people have all of the above, what do Black people have? And we are not including anything that has to do with celebrities. Just regular Joe blows.

8.) Name 5 Black people you know that work for another Black person? Name Random White people that work for a Black person. Now name 20 people who are Black that work for a White owned company?

9.) Can your children inherit your job? Can they inherit your business?

10.) If owning your own business is the key to wealth, what's stopping Black people from opening one in their neighborhood?

10.) People love basketball. They love competition and winning. Other groups compete with Black people for their dollars, for their businesses, why does the winning spirit only apply to Black people when on the basketball court?
    11.) The Arab, Asian and White man wanted more money just like you and he decided to open a store right where you live. Why didn't you think of that? Are you conditioned to only think education then job application?

I'll try to think of more, i hope this is along the lines of what you meant. Share your comments and thoughts.

Peace!

5. Shikamaru

Shikamaru Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,989
    You can start by shopping less at many corner stores owned by foreigners i.e. Arabs, Koreans, etc.

6. MS234

MS234 Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +3,900
    where were you when you asked people this question. What neighborhood were you in?

What is the end result that you're trying to achieve here?

When you make your flyer, I'd like to see it. Also the people you asked about the "shop", did you ask them if they felt exploited?

Start like you have already. On the corners spreading the word. Your fliers and information. If people are interested they will follow. when your flyer is ready let me know. Do you have an area in mind that you want to start from first? (a certain store or location)

7. Asomfwaa

Ratings:
    +2,564

Hotep Brother.

This is good. But I meant questions for me to answer. I want to put on the flyer enough information for, especially, the youth whom I stop on the streets.

I remember approaching one seventeen-year-old sister and asking her what she thinks of boycotting businesses because they aren't Black. She said "I don't do that." And I didn't waste a second telling her "I know you don't."

I also asked her if she learns about Black history--from White folk. We both chuckled 'cause she did.

I have no trouble with engaging Black folk and giving them the education on the street. But I also can't afford to just print out flyers and give them out. White folk can--'cause they have our money--but I can't--'cause I don't. So I'm intending to print out a flyer for purchase*--after explaining all the information and, also, having the information freely available.

Either way, I was thinking information that we need to be convinced of racial boycotting:

Are we a monolith?

Can this work?

So on and so forth.

* Just to try--real cheap--but in the philosophy of Marcus Garvey (always seek profit) and Kelly Miller's "The Negro pays for what he wants and begs for what he needs."

8. Asomfwaa

Ratings:
    +2,564
    Brother,

I don't shop. And I definitely haven't walked into a corner store in a long while. This thread isn't about me or putting criticisms on me. This threads is about organizing a boycott so that Black folk can have an independent, prosperous community SOMEWHERE in America.

You're a smart, economical Brother, be a little more helpful.

What sort of answers will convince you to do a racial boycott as a typical "African-American."

You know most of us do not identify racially--so what kind of answer will change that perception?

HTP

FYI--I already do a racial boycott--but I'm trying to organize a massive one--not a 'personal one.' Individuals can not win against groups. Even the best Martial Artists can't beat two of her students. Don't believe the movies. ;-)

9. Asomfwaa

Ratings:
    +2,564
    My bad for the mislead--I meant to write "Community" rather than "Shop."

I was all over Brooklyn. Taking the subway one way or another--asking different people in different locales the same questions for the same answers.

What I want to achieve is an independent, prosperous African community equipped with light industries, a healthy grocery store and a community center where the youth can gather around uplifting and African imagery and an after-school program. Probably even a teacher's college to get them honks out of our schools, but the first three are the most pursued. I'm still thinking on it.

As to "shop" it was a typo--but no I'm not asking about "exploitation." That's a White boy concern that's neither here nor there. The fact is that we were kidnapped and our issue is our distance from Africa. We need to bring Africa here--it doesn't matter how harshly or nicely we are coddled by Europeans or Asians. What matters is that African people are distant from Africa. Feel me?

As to certain area--I move around--let the wind blow me to another soul. I go to an area--see if it's lively--then move. Heck--if it's too cold, I go to a subway--if the subway is too plain (or too rapid)--another--and so on and so forth. The boycott may have one area (which I should most focus upon)--since that's the easiest to start with--but communicating the idea and getting folk excited and talking about it all around--can make us at least claim most of Brooklyn. That's a good start.

But let's not give opposition too many ideas. :)

10. info-moetry

info-moetry STAFF STAFF

United States
    A+ technician
    Ratings:
    +6,486
    :thinking::Contract::thinking:

I've both held boycotts on stores and been apart of other people's boycott's and marches going all the way back to when myslef and thousands of others shut down 5th ave. with Al Sharpton on a Sunday, the main shopping day in midtown. I was so inspired by that one that it sparked me to continue in my area where store owners were being disrespectful to children and woman.

One arab store owner actually locked the door while i was still inside because i was going in on them about how they just treated a black woman in front of me while reading a hadith. the black woman was having a hard time finding her wallet in her purse (sisters ya'll know what i'm talking about..lol) and the arabian dude thought he was doing me a favor by giving her a dirty look, then sucking his teeth at her and reaching past her face to try and reach for what i had but i stepped back and said i'll wait. The woman finally found her money and paid, so when she left i started to break it down for the disrespectful "muslim", then ripped into him about his hadith/qu'ran and the selling of pork and alcohol making them Kafir's (dis-believers). This is about the time one of them went and locked the door....lol - the boycott began the next day!