The Banning of Members and Posters...

Discussion in 'Violators and Violations (Possible Ones)' started by Isaiah, Jun 26, 2004.

1. Isaiah

Isaiah Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +62
    I'm new to the site, and thought I would broach this subject for the purpose of clarification and discussion. I'm clear that the site has rules, and that if one wants to continue posting here, one must abide those rules, or leave.

As one who has been banned from a particular discussion forum for voicing a perspective that was not in concert with the proscribed perspective of the moderator of that site, and others, I am wondering what constitutes a really good reason for completely shutting off someone who may be voicing what is tantamount to a contrary position, but is their position, nonetheless??? Who, arbitrarily and capriciously, determines which opinions and perspectives are right, wrong, positive or negative???(smile!) In my case, I happened upon a so-called Soul Music discussion site, and determined from a reading of the current and archival posts, an absence of a sense of cultural copyright on the part of the African people posting there. On this European-owned site, I sensed that the brothers and sisters posting there were afraid to claim the music as an important part of our cultural contributions to the world, and it turned out I was absolutely right. I came under a withering degree of unconstructive criticism from most of the whites posting at this site, but found a great deal of support from brothers and sisters, who said, in effect, they'd been thinking the same thoughts, but had declined to voice them for the reasons that lay obvious before us all - White Supremacist backlash...

Well, I weathered the backlash by refusing to move an inch off of my position, and though I later gained a great deal of respect from even the hysterical white mob( some of whom praised me for bringing some real excitement to their insipidly boring discussions of rare soul), I had incurred the wrath of the website's moderators and owners, who actually changed the format of the site as a pretext for banning me from further posting(smile!)

Now, there was nothing I said at that site that was particularly revolutionary or incendiary... I simply stated the facts of history, and did the unthinkable act of proudly proclaiming our agency and ownership of African American cultural copyrights, save some contributions by "others..." My problem was one of etiquette, but as I was wholy supported by the facts, I saw no need to speak other than boldly and truthfully to that point...

My point is, though one may say things which others disagree with, this does not make them wrong, and the majority right. Because the majority becomes a hysterial mob when their views are challenged does not constitute a basis for the reactionary banning of a poster... In fact, I think the mob(moderator?)can do a disservice and an injustice to others who might benefit from engaging in serious debate with a poster who has an opposing viewpoint. It stimulates people to think, and teaches them to debate without personalizing the debate, and becoming hysterical. In effect, it challenges us to challenge our fears in a real way, and not by fiat. We cannot say that we have grown an iota if we drain the pool in which we have almost drowned. What we need to do is take some swimming lessons, and get back in that pool, and master it by swimming rings around it. You don't become a champion by running away from challenges, and taking your bat and ball, and going home. That's running away from the very thing that can enhance your power, ability, and confidence in self...

I think I am making the case for allowing folks to work things out, to police themselves, and grow in the process... I am always reminded of the transformation of Detroit Red into Minister Malcolm X - because somebody had the patience and the program to methodically change that man's life. As terrible a human being as he admitted to being, he later became "Our Shining Black Prince!" A Phoenix who rose from the ashes of his own ruins... I think there are many people who might be capable of slightly less dramatic transformations at this board if we will ourselves to work with those people, rather than being reactionary, and banning them... Thanks for you patience, and please, do not regard what I have said here as a personal attack on the Website Owners or Moderators(smile!) I have given, in detail, my reasons for writting this post, so please, take it as just my personal perspective...

Peace!
    Isaiah

2. panafrica

panafrica Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +194
    Members are banned from this forum for not obeying the rules in the following link:

http://www.destee.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=8084

The most important being (1). No Disrespect (2). Don't post other people's work without permission. I realize #1 can be considered broad however it basically breaks down to no cursing, don't commit personal attacks on other members (you can disagree, but don't call them out of their name). Members are usually warned several times (and given a change to correct their behavior), before they are banned. The only exception to this is a member whose obvious purpose is to disrupt. For example a member who comes on with the name: AryanKnight, and starts posting racist literature, would be banned immediately. As long as a member abides by the rule they can enjoy the sites as much as they wish. :shades:

3. NNQueen

NNQueen going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,860
    Humble greetings Brothers Isaiah and MrBlak...

Brother Isaiah, thank you for starting this thread on what we at Destee.com consider a very important discussion topic. Yes, we do have "rules" here and the reason we do is because we recognize all too well that without some, our community could become a "free for all" to anyone and everything...a lot of which would be counter-productive to what Destee considers to be positive and uplifting for our people.

We consider ourselves a family community and in essence, MrBlak has interpreted the climate here and summed up how we handle things quite well. Our rules weren't designed for any particular group other than those who don't respect themselves or anyone else.

When anyone comes here to argue, be divisive, to insult and disrespect us individually or collectively--they are in violation of our rules and must make a decision to transform if they want to remain here. Rarely do we ban without a "warning" though, but there have been situations severe enough when it does happen that way. I'm pleased to say that, from what I've learned since becoming a moderator, there haven't been many occasions when members have gotten banned since our doors opened in 1999. Now that we have close to 5,000 members, we are extremely pleased with our track record, but we don't take all the credit for that. Much of it goes directly to our members!

We are not opposed to views that differ from our own, Brother Isaiah. We're not shallow, egotistical or insecure that way. There is no mandate that everyone must agree, only to practice positive ways when you disagree. We don't operate a "police" state here, so we try hard not to be too strict or too overbearing. When members think we are, they are encouraged to let us know and we take what they say seriously.

Of course you know that each situation can be different and unique. Moderators meet routinely and regularly to discuss any issues that come before us. We function in a democratic way, with majority rule. We usually don't rush to judgment and we try to treat everyone equally. Whenever a situation arises that we know will impact the community, we always try to solicit their input by inviting them to provide feeback FIRST before a final decision is made.

We're not perfect, but we try to be different and better than other places on the net and sometimes in our real communities. We all have enough to deal with, unfair treatment, harassment and stress in our daily lives, we certainly don't need to come here to receive the same treatment!

I hope I have answered your questions adequately. I'm sure others will add their comments.

Peace,
    Queenie :spinstar:

4. Isaiah

Isaiah Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +62
    Mr. Blak, PanAfrica, and Sista Queenie, thanks for your responses... As an "Untouchable", I am feeling a bit sensitive these days(smile!) Thanks for your caring and concern, I appreciate it more than you'll ever know...

Peace!
    Isaiah

5. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,730
    I've been banned from assata's forum.

i posted over there and said that they should find something more constructive to do than sit around and criticize destee.

a "jacuma" came on and told me i could "like it or leave it".
    i replied that I'd rather change it.

when i next arrived, i found my profile and all my posts had been deleted from the site.

I'm an older person and the days of my life are growing shorter.
    i will not take my time to go back there.

6. $$RICH$$

$$RICH$$ Lyon King Admin. STAFF

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,177
    welcome home jamesfrmphilly here u will fine love and peace wit respect
    to one's mind and saying, we don't rip our people for speaking out but fine
    a solution happy to have you aboard and part of the family at destee.com enjoy.