Black People Politics : The Anti-Obama Hate-Fest

Discussion in 'Black People Politics' started by oldsoul, Sep 8, 2008.

1. OldSoul

OldSoul Permanent Black Man PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Staying Alive
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +976
    [​IMG]
    The Anti-Obama Hate-Fest

The Republican Party, which has defined modern-day negative politics, was back at it again, bashing Barack Obama and the news media in an ugly display that rivaled the old days of Nixon-Agnew - or George W. Bush's last convention where GOP operatives passed out "Purple Heart Band-Aids" to mock John Kerry's war wounds.
    After a slow start because of Hurricane Gustav, the convention in St. Paul, Minnesota, turned into an anti-Obama hate-fest with a nearly all-white gathering laughing at and mocking the nation's first African-American presidential nominee of a major party. However, beyond the pulsating contempt visible on the faces of the GOP delegates, many of the nasty attacks on Obama - as well as the effusive praise for the Republican ticket - were blatantly false, as if testing the depths of American gullibility and bigotry. In speech after speech, Republicans didn't so much as tell the Big Lie as they deployed Wholesale Lies...
    The Associated Press, which mostly had been recycling the Republican spin about the supposedly "maverick" ticket of John McCain and Sarah Palin, was so struck by the litany of distortions that the AP produced a special fact checking article describing how Republicans had "stretched the truth."
    The AP's fact-checking article noted...that former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee's slap at Democratic vice presidential nominee Joe Biden - that Palin "got more votes running for mayor of Wasilla, Alaska, than Joe Biden got running for president of the United States" - was a "whopper." The AP wrote that "Palin got 616 votes in the 1996 mayor's election, and got 909 in her 1999 re-election race, for a total of 1,525. Biden dropped out of the race after the Iowa caucuses, but he still got 76,165 votes in 23 states and the District of Columbia where he was on the ballot during the 2008 presidential primaries."
    The Republican National Convention also acted as if the Republicans had not controlled the White House for the past eight years and the Congress for most of that time. "We need change, all right," declared former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney, "change from a liberal Washington to a conservative Washington! We have a prescription for every American who wants change in Washington - throw out the big-government liberals, and elect John McCain and Sarah Palin." Beyond this parallel universe of who runs Washington, there was fanciful puffery about the GOP "reformer" ticket - dubbed "maverick squared" - that doesn't square with reality at all. For instance, the AP cited Palin's claim that "I have protected the taxpayers by vetoing wasteful spending ... and championed reform to end the abuses of earmark spending by Congress. I told the Congress 'thanks but no thanks' for that Bridge to Nowhere." The reality, of course, was much different.
    As the AP noted. Palin, as mayor of the tiny town of Wasilla, hired a lobbyist and made annual treks to Washington seeking earmarked spending that totaled $27 million, and then as Alaska's governor for less than two years, she sought nearly $750 million in special federal spending, "by far the largest per-capita request in the nation." And as for that $398 million bridge from Ketchikan to an island with 50 residents, the truth is that Palin enthusiastically supported the project before she reluctantly opposed it, rejecting the "Bridge to Nowhere" only after it had become politically indefensible. The Los Angeles Times discovered that Sen. McCain had specifically cited several of Palin's earmarks on his annual list of wasteful pork-barrel spending. In 2001, for instance, McCain's list included a $500,000 earmark for a public transportation project in Wasilla, and in 2002, he criticized $1 million targeted for an emergency communications center that Palin sought but local law enforcement said was redundant and a source of confusion.
    Now, however, Palin has been transformed into a maverick reformer. McCain's campaign even cites her experience as an abuser of the earmark process as part of the reason she supposedly understands why it must be scrapped.
    McCain spokesman Taylor Griffin said Palin's successes in getting earmarked funds "was one of the formative experiences that led her toward the reform-oriented stance that she has taken as her career has progressed."
    Nevertheless, Palin wrote in a newspaper column just this year that "the federal budget, in its various manifestations, is incredibly important to us, and congressional earmarks are one aspect of this relationship." [For more details, see Los Angeles Times, Sept. 3, 2008]
    Beyond the GOP's reality-challenged speeches, there was the startling image of a nearly all-white convention - where only 36 of the 2,380 delegates were black, the smallest number in at least 40 years - rollicking in ridicule and bristling with animosity toward Obama, an African-American.
    With their loud chants of "drill, baby, drill" regarding energy policy and boisterous shouts of "USA, USA" about "victory" in Iraq, there was a sense that St. Paul was hosting a convention of American Falangists, rather than that of a modern national party. The whiff of authoritarianism extended to outside where demonstrators and journalists were swept off the streets in indiscriminate arrests. What's less clear about the GOP convention is whether the Republicans are on to something, that perhaps the United States has crossed over into a post-rational society that cares little about facts and reality or serious policy ideas and respectful debate, but rather is a nation moved by anger and ridicule, fear and nationalism.

2. A007

A007 Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +115
    Well Done. :welldone:

The question is ...how do we get the unsuspecting to understand that the lies contained in this parallel republican universe will translate into the lies of the whitehouse if the republicans win?

3. roarin1

roarin1 Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +28
    HA!

(For real Bruh OLDSOUL....)

Warmongers!

4. river

river Watch Her Flow MEMBER

United States
    Author
    Ratings:
    +1,290
    That is exactly what they are. McCain and the Republicans will turn the national anthm into the national swan song. I am reminded of that scene from Planet of the Apes when he saw the Statue of Liberty sticking out of the sands.

5. AAlicia25

AAlicia25 Well-Known Member MEMBER

Administrative Assistant
    Ratings:
    +2
    A Moment of Reflection and Appreciation

With that said, I am proud of the strides African- Americans have made these past decades. Also, I appreciate, perceptive and intelligent African –Americans for being driven and aware enough to pin point existing flaws in our political society. Thanks to individuals, like you, who are extremely determined to broadcast political injustices, I believe we are well on our way of establishing a better America for our up and coming African- American children.

An Act of Desperation

Choosing Palin for a running mate was obviously an act of desperation for the McCain party. From her questionable performance as Mayor of Alaska, to her inability to lead and raise her own family as moral individuals of society, clearly proves Palin is too inadequate to be VP. If she cannot explain to her daughter the importance of building a proper foundation for a family and the negative effects of having a child out of wedlock, then this should clearly show citizens her inability to influence and be a positive role model. Besides doesn’t this go against die hard, religion following, right- winged, conservatives, traditional point of views? This without a doubt is an indication that many would do anything to prevent Obama from being president, even if it means going against their traditional beliefs. Though Obama responded, in so many words that, ‘we all have family issues and the way Palin raises her family should have no bearing on her running for VP’, it should highly be considered! Remember when Obama’s little girls were the big topic of our morning papers, and Michelle & Obama’s parenting skills were being questioned for allowing cameras on their children? Why not question Palin’s parenting skills and compare her parenting to her ability to be the United States V.P.?

Selecting Palin for a running mate was an unpredicted low blow for democrats and African-Americans. As a result of Bush’s disappointing, eight year presidential reign, McCain knew republican citizens were ready for a change even if that meant voting Democratic. Placing a female on his ticket, which is a radical move for the Republican Party, was a sure way to get Hilary voters back on his side and ease the tension of fear that McCain would follow in Bush’s footsteps. If republican and undecided voters choose to believe the statements of the Republican Party, which seem, as you stated, “…as if testing the depth of American gullibility and bigotry …”, then it is blatant that truths are being purposely overlooked in order to create a forced patriotism toward the Republican Party… This is where I am confused, but isn’t that plain old dirty politics which happens in all races for office? I guess this is more delicate because for the first time an African American is running for office. However, I do believe there are extremist that will do anything to prevent Obama from being president.

I do not believe McCain becoming president would drastically change our country in a negative way. There are too many people, both democratic and republican who believe in human rights and American’s love of financial and political freedom, for the country to take too many steps in the wrong direction. On the other hand, I do believe there may be an increase in the gap between the wealthy and working class.

Please let me know what you think?

Thanks!

6. Khasm13

Khasm13 STAFF STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +4,472
    i liken politics to a chess game with no rules...
    the choice to pick palin was really the only move that they had...
    republicans of late have always run a populous platform...
    when they saw the votes that hillary got...they bit the democrats style...
    even though they were some of the individuals that bashed her campaign...

we could call the republicans hypocrites...but in reality they are just money hungry demons...i hope this last move at some point get's exposed for what it is...bullshucks...

it's funny that mccain has adopted obama's rhetoric of change...but his party is up to the same tricks...

one love
    khasm

7. river

river Watch Her Flow MEMBER

United States
    Author
    Ratings:
    +1,290
    As I was reading this the Delfonics started singing Didn't I Blow Your Mind This Time.:qqb007:

Sister, this whole country is built and founded on lies. They don't want a president who will tell the truth. The Republicans love Palin for her ability to recite the speech they gave her with a straight face.

It's just like with the war in Iraq. They know it's wrong but all they care about is winning. For O'Reilly to point out the success of the surge as the reason why we should stay in Iraq is like somebody saying "Well I got away with robbing a bank successfully so I should take it up as a career."

8. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,745
    these devils do not actually have beliefs. that is what they tell you. they themselves do not honor them.

bush has affected this country in a negative way. why would maccain be any different?

9. AAlicia25

AAlicia25 Well-Known Member MEMBER

Administrative Assistant
    Ratings:
    +2
    River I completely agree with you and nicely said!

jamesfrmphilly
    From reading your responses on different topics, I see that you are a die hard, extremist and completely & whole heartedly pro- Africa & African American, and I have no problem with your views, they are yours. However, I cannot side with you, I do not believe white America consist of immoral people or as you say ‘devils’, only because I am pro-humanity and for the voice of the individual. Looking at plain facts of the overestimated and underestimated statistics of the U.S. Census Bureau (go to their website), Black Americans only consist of a small percentage of the U.S. population, if white America were that bad we would have absolutely no voice and chance of enjoying any part of American luxurious life, AND IT WOULD NOT MATTER. Yes, some may say that all the successful black people in America are basically an illusion, to pacify us and mislead us in believing we can become all we can be. That’s not true; your counter argument for that might be, ‘they try to pacify us because they need us to work for pennies’. That is also not true, there are SO MANY, illegal immigrants of all races at this moment and time working for dust and would not mind as long as it ensures they stay in America. We are not needed and our population is not that big to make a significant dent. There are compassionate people out there because if there wasn’t I think we would be worse off.

In regards to the other statement, notice I say ‘drastically ‘. I mean our country has not changed in the extreme way that black Americans are being packed up and shipped out of the country; the government has not turned into a brutal, blood shedding, unforgiving totalitarianism. We may live in the rich and wealthy 1% of America’s negative utopia, but we still have our human rights and there are human rights activists of all races fighting everyday for every individual in America, no matter what race.

Like River said, it’s all about money. I have a little theory of my own: in the same way, Hitler created negative propaganda towards the Jews, to give Germany back its sense of pride, which ultimately lead to the horrific and disgusting holocaust; I believe racist thoughts were initially created to instill a mindset into a group of people, to make them believe they were incapable of doing work that would earn them more money, so that they can continue to do menial duties in society. But its like that all around the world.

10. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,745
    the greatest trick the devil ever did was convince people he did not exist....

in bush america you can be picked up and repatriated and never heard from again, legally. you have heard of the patriot act?