Black Women : The Angry Black Woman's Guide

Discussion in 'Black Women - Mothers - Sisters - Daughters' started by NNQueen, Mar 13, 2006.

1. NNQueen

NNQueen going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,864
    This is a question for sisters:

Has anyone read the book, "The Angry Black Woman's Guide to Life"? It's by Denene Millner, angela Burt Murray and Mitzi Miller. They dedicated the book "For Angry Black Women everywhere, who love hard, dance with abandon, and don't hesitate to pu 'em in their place." If you've read the book, what did you think about the tone in which it was written and the advice that was given?

Periodically I work with a friend (another Black woman) and we conduct seminars for women in our community and were looking for material we could use to develop some discussion around, and so, we bought this book. But it's nothing like we thought it was going to be and decided against using it because we thought all it did was perpetuate a negative myth about Black women and their reasons for being angry.

I'd like to know other women's thoughts if they read it or even heard of it.

Queenie :heart:

2. Riada

Riada Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +18
    No, never heard of it. I know Sistas who are under a never-ending spell of ANGER. Even some of the young girls at the center where I volunteer are so angry.

What frustrates me about some of these intelligent women is that some of them absolutely won't do anything to change their situation despite the fact that the stress and unhappiness is literally killing them. They just can't see that they have the Creator-given power and right to change their situation. I have a very dear friend like this.

Is there anything you've found that can jerk even some of the women out of the rut they're in? Like a magical word or two or three to break that spell? I know I'm asking for a miracle. LOL!

3. nevar

nevar Well-Known Member MEMBER

working to own my plus size empire.....
    Ratings:
    +135
    i just happen to have it to me they speak on the real. they give all different types of point of views on a situation. like say for instance we caught our man cheating what would a white woman do a latino do and then the angry black woman do. the quizzes they set up is interesting. i had the pleasure of having a gentlemen who is a member of the blackexpressions.com to give it to me. i like it very much cant believe they wrote a guide and this inspire to speak on the real.

4. cursed heart

cursed heart Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +38
    What were some of the myths stated?
    There are alot of angry sistahs, I was one of them.
    Everyday I love myself more and more and try to forget the wounds of my past! Staying angry will run a good man away!