Black People : The African Slave Trade

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by OmowaleX, Mar 22, 2007.

?

Who started the practice of slave trading?

1. Africans

40.0%
  2. Arabs

40.0%
  3. Asiatics

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Indo-Europeans

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Other

20.0%
  1. OmowaleX

OmowaleX Well-Known Member MEMBER

Educator
    Ratings:
    +42
  2. oldiesman

oldiesman Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +120
    the african slave trade...

i believe that either the dutch or portuguese started the export of africans in the 15th century.

3. dustyelbow

dustyelbow Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +21
    Slavery itself has so many different FACTORS.

But I do see it as an external development.

I dont believe any SOUND SELF-RELIANT AFRICAN would want to sell their OWN BLOOD into BONDAGE.

Sometimes FAMILIES sell their OWN CHILDREN into BONDAGE for GAIN.

There has to be a REASON and REASONS and I am just THINKING OUTSIDE INFLUENCES.

4. Chucky

Chucky Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +1
    While the portuguese were the first Europeans to engage in "middle passage" slave-trading of Afrikans, this occured after the so-called Arabs had already engaged in the raping, pillaging and enslaving of our ancestors.

5. Sun Ship

Sun Ship Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +39
    It is almost impossible to explain beginning of slavery, or who started it in the same context in which slavery is defined as, or has been defined as in recent European and African history.

Most Americans don’t understand that their status as “free citizens” who must work for the corporate good and the large amount of taxes they pay is relative to indentured servitude, a feudal state, or even a slave system of many precolonial African and New World societies. I tried to explain this to some degree in the thread dealing with Cherokees and Freedmen, but to no avail. What we might call a slave today, in some of the most just and well-governed precolonial or ancient African societies, may have had more civil liberties, rights, and free access to a communities or nation collective wealth and resources than we have in this so-called democracy.

Americans are still the longest working people in the western world (as far as hours) and are still probably more enslaved to creditors, utility companies, and other financial obligations than anybody.

Though I do believe one has to operate cunningly within the context of this democratic farce or servile state as our ancestors have proved, still this notion of freedom is merely to be good consumerists of virtual idealism, which induces our pursuit of happiness by practicing the consumerist philosophical and religious obligation patriotic materialism; this is a servitude indentured to the corporations that own us.

I could get into this even more, but I’ll just begin to digress further, I think a short excerpt from the reference you offered Brother OmowaleX speaks volumes:

In most African societies, there was very little difference between the free peasants and the feudal vassal peasants. Vassals of the Songhay Muslim Empire were used primarily in agriculture; they paid tribute to their masters in crop and service but they were slightly restricted in custom and convenience. These non-free people were more an occupational caste, as their bondage was relative.

There is adequate evidence citing case after case of African control of segments of the trade. Several African nations such as the Ashanti of Ghana and the Yoruba of Nigeria had economies largely depending on the trade. African peoples such as the Imbangala of Angola and the Nyamwezi of Tanzania would serve as intermediaries or roving bands warring with other African nations to capture Africans for Europeans. Extenuating circumstances demanding exploration are the tremendous efforts European officials in Africa used to install rulers agreeable to their interests. They would actively favor one African group against another to deliberately ignite chaos and continue their slaving activities.

Slavery in the rigid form which existed in Europe and throughout the New World was not practiced in Africa nor in the Islamic Orient. "Slavery", as it is often referred to, in African cultures was generally more like indentured servitude: "slaves" were not made to be chattel of other men, nor enslaved for life. African "slaves" were paid wages and were able to accumulate property. They often bought their own freedom and could then achieve social promotion -just as freedman in ancient Rome- some even rose to the status of kings (e.g. Jaja of Opobo and Sunni Ali Ber).

Now I don’t agree with what has been said above absolutely, that Islamic slavery was not rigid and that it along side some other African nations were not also brutal when it comes to slavery, with that said, every noted historian I have read has agreed you cannot use the European’s vicious Transatlantic slave trade to understand indentured servitude as it was practiced in the ancient world, for in some ways it was no more than what we call today a job and taxes.

Peace

6. OmowaleX

Educator
    Ratings:
    +42
    Thank you brother Sunship.

Your conclusion is the main point I agree with and I think it is also a point that many do not equate accurately, but when all is said and done, as you stated, "for in some ways it as no more than what we call today a job and taxes."

That is to say, a "slave" was, and is, essentially, a "wage laborer". And this is nothing new!

peace!

7. emanuel goodman

emanuel goodman Well-Known Member MEMBER

social worker
    Ratings:
    +759
    Slavery very old news

This planet has existed for over billiions of years. so my conclusion is that slavery has existed in several forms very,very,very long ago. We donot understand that we are just repeating the actions of previous inhabitants of the physical life existence. To exactly target when slavery began in extremly difficult at this point. However i know slavery was not learned from the tama hu it was taught to them by our ancestors just like everything else. We are as melanin enriched inhabitants and representives of the true connection to the source so lar energy= ra or so lar plex(light or sun in our chest) hence tama re. WE Our responsible for all of the demise on this planet including our own. WE instituted slavery, sold and trapped our own for gains of the physical nature and continue to live under the cloak of denial and non reality that are the product of faulty genetics as the children of the ones whom fell from grace and refused to honor the law or maat of the universe that governs decesions made while in the physcial state of existence.

8. kemetkind

kemetkind Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +61
    WE did not institute any slavery that called for monstrous physical mutilation including castrating of rebellious men and systematic raping of little girls for breeding.

We did not teach the barbarism reflected in euro slavery where black people were legally defined as sub-human.

To compare wage labor to chattel slavery minimizes the magnitude of slavery's impact on african people worldwide, trivializes the historical record, and in my opinion, disrespects the sacrifices and struggles of our ancestors.

But why would WE do this?

It's almost as if an argument is being made here that slaves had it better than we do (never-mind the one that slavery was "our" fault).

I've heard these sentiments from conservative, racist euros, but coming from black folks?

The form and nature of chattel slavery instituted by modern euros has not been recorded anywhere else in history.

If I am wrong on that someone please post evidence otherwise because that wikipedia link surely didn't.

In fact, we should reconsider the language entirely and stop referring to the fuedal systems used in the ancient world as "slavery", since it is no way equatable to what our ancestors survived in the African Holocaust.

9. OmowaleX

Educator
    Ratings:
    +42
    The problem with your argument is that it dismisses, or ignores altogether the conditions that "feudalism" in Africa created which not only came about during the period of West Afrikan EMPIRE BUILDING but also the roles that Afrikans such as the Yoruba and Ashanti pleyed in slave raiding.

While I in no way equate the european trans-atlantic barbarism with "wage slavery" at the same time I am not going to romanticize the system in Africa, which itself WAS a brutal form of oppression (Tippo Tibb, for example), but also these conditions laid the foundation for the "primitive capital accumulation" which, according to Ibn Khaldun, gave rise to CAPITALISM in Afrika.

As far as "disrespecting the sacrifices and struggles of our ancestors" keep in mind that not each and every one of us have the same "ancestors".

Some of us have ancestors who were slave traders from west Africa, while others have ancestors who were captured from Angola and the Congo, and shipped out of west Afrika, by Afrikans who were hired mercenaries of the Portuguese, etc.

10. OmowaleX

Educator
    Ratings:
    +42
    Thank you brother emanuel!

Peace...