Black People : The Act - Our Rights Are In The Wrong Hands

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by river, Sep 11, 2005.

1. river

river Watch Her Flow MEMBER

United States
    Author
    Ratings:
    +1,290
    While preachers are urging their congregations not to worry about what Bush is doing--just show love and compassion to the suffering (read potential members/tithe payers), guess who has the priveledge of renewing the Civil Rights Acts in 2007? A man who has already shown us that he is the sworn enemy of our rights--the man they tell us not to worry about.

Voting Rights Under Fire
    http://www.thejacksonchannel.com/helenthomas/4816374/detail.html
    White House spokesman Scott McClellan said the administration will work with Congress on legislation to renew the law, but he has been vague on the touchy question of whether President George W. Bush would support the renewal of the tough parts of law.

Rep. James Sensenbrenner, R-Wis., chairman of the House Judiciary Committee, said it was an "open question" whether some sections of the act should be renewed.

Once this right is gone who will put up the effort it will take to get it back when so many Black people don't think they don't have anything to vote for anyway? The hispanics? Yes they will be fighting but they won't be fighting for us if we drop the ball. The church that fought so hard in the fifties and sixties is sure we are in the end times now and has her bags packed for heaven so "Thy will be done on Earth" is not on their mind.

2. karmashines

karmashines Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +19
    I'm going to have to disagree with you on this one, river. I don't think the black community is going to allow such a law to pass without giving up a good fight. One of the things that is commendable about black people is that we are very vocal about racism... ever since the Civil Rights Movement, blacks have made their voices heard on the injustices still present against them. We also tend to unite better when fighting against racism. This includes Christian people.

It is good, however, that blacks are more aware of the swine we have in office, so we can begin the protesting now before more problems erupt. I don't put anything past Bush.

3. Sekhemu

Sekhemu Well-Known Member MEMBER

priest
    Ratings:
    +1,064

You've summed it up in a nutshell.

4. Sekhemu

Sekhemu Well-Known Member MEMBER

priest
    Ratings:
    +1,064
    I don't see the vast majority of black christians taking a stand against racism. Frederick K. Price is one of the few prominent black ministers that have, but the key word here is FEW.

It seems that the black church, for the most part, has become complacent, and is not using the power and influence it posesses. Perhaps the reason for this is that it is not attracting brothas and sistahs who want to radically change our condition here.

5. karmashines

karmashines Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +19
    Yeah, I remember Frederick Price's series on racism in Christianity. That was very interesting and informative.

But anyway, I agree that at the moment many black churches are complacent, but we are also at a time where it is perceived that we don't need to fight for our civil rights. I believe Hurricane Katrina is opening some people's eyes, but if direct actions are taken, such as voting rights being taken away, I do think the black community would take a stand.

The downside of today's era is that we are more influenced by phony media auspices... we are taught to blame ourselves than to see the racism that is not-so subconsciously being put forth against us. I think if there was a act of racism so blatent and direct that occurred against us, most would be compelled to take action.

Keep in mind too, that with the right leader, even Christians can unite with others for the cause of a greater good. For example, though the Million Man March did not directly fight against racism, the presence of so many black men from all faiths uniting and affirming themselves was in a way disputing against any negative stereotype. That was a beautiful event in which a million black men, Christian, Muslim, atheist, and spiritualist united under a leader who was Muslim.

6. river

river Watch Her Flow MEMBER

United States
    Author
    Ratings:
    +1,290
    Yes, the milion man march was a singular event and very encouraging.

I still have to agree with Brotha Sek that the caliber of christendom today is not such that can carry a movement for civil rights as they did before. So many christians today are heavily indoctrinated to think it's all about being blessed. They seek God's pocket rather than his/her face. I went to a chruch meeting Wednerday night because I heard they were bussing people in from New Orleans and I wanted to help. But I could see it was not compassion for the peo;e foremost on their minds. They wanted to indoctrinate these people. You know an important part of their doctrine is paying tithes. You got $2000 from the government? Wonderful! We want you to make a decision today to trust God by giving usxxxxI mean Him his ten percent.

Sista Karmashines I hope to the Creator you are right that these things will bring us together like the Whites Only sign at Tyler Foods. But like Sek I see no indication that the church will be at the forefront. Who knows? Maybe in the 13th hour they'll surprise us.