Black People : The 7 Layers of Division in Black America

Liberty

BANNED
Aug 28, 2015
division-unity.jpg

There’s a great wish in the African American community for a wonderful utopia known as UNITY. The word brings about images of 70′s era movies where everyone picks their blow-out Afros, slaps high-fives and echoes “Right on!” in unison. This reality was lived out by our parents but now the word has become pure fantasy. A fellow AA writer and myself discussed this unity thing and came up with 7 layers of division that keeps black unity a myth. This list may not be exclusive to blacks but it plagues us and keeps us separated in a major way.

Read more

https://abagond.wordpress.com/2011/04/22/the-7-layers-of-division-in-black-america/

Do you think these divisions are significant enough to really divide us?

No, not at all, these 7 layers are differences not division. There is only one thing that divides us; self-hate, captured-bonding or the Stockholm syndrome.

After reading quite a few of the responses to the Blog, no one mentioned the above, as the root cause of our disunity problems, however. But all of us understand that Black folk do not treat each other right; we just don't know why this is. So, when we say self-hate, the understanding is that it applies to individuals, as well as the Black community, at large.

No, not at all, these 7 layers are differences not division. There is only one thing that divides us; self-hate, captured-bonding or the Stockholm syndrome.

After reading quite a few of the responses to the Blog, no one mentioned the above, as the root cause of our disunity problems, however. But all of us understand that Black folk do not treat each other right; we just don't know why this is. So, when we say self-hate, the understanding is that it applies to individuals, as well as the Black community, at large.

That's what I thought, too, Clyde. Though the piece wasn't dated, I figured it must have been written before we all came together and elected President Obama despite our differences.

That's what I thought, too, Clyde. Though the piece wasn't dated, I figured it must have been written before we all came together and elected President Obama despite our differences.

Very good point, we were monolithic when it came to electing Mr. Obama.

Also, if we ever wrap our heads around Reparations, it too will be a unifying catalyst for Black people, regardless of our differences.

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back