Pan Africanism : THE 5 MAJOR AFRICAN INITIATION RITES...

Discussion in 'Black History - Culture - Panafricanism' started by Isaiah, Jun 10, 2005.

1. Isaiah

Isaiah Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +62
    Hey, brother Pan, I thought I would bring this web page over to the PanAfrican forum so that we could get some feedback from Continental brothers and sisters on the importance of these African customs to them, as individuals, as well as to the African collective...

Reading about the phases(rites of passage) which Africans attempt to prepare their children right through to the elders, is marvelously fascinating... I am filled with a sense of happiness on one hand, but sadness on the other, for African Americans seem not to regard the customs of our ancestors as important, as legitimate social and cultural expressions of a world historical people...

I would that we African Americans would know and understand that we come from this, and unto this we must return if we are to return WHOLE to that which brought us here... I hope we can have a discussion on these initiation rites, especially with our brethren and sistren from the Motherland... I want to know what impact has the experience of these rites of passage had on your life, and do you still remember what your personal experience was like??? How can we African Americans return to rites of initiation for our children, our daughters, sons, elders??? Anyone have any suggestions???

http://destee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28700

Peace!
    Isaiah

2. panafrica

panafrica Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +194
    I think this is fascinating information brother Isaiah, thank you for introducing it to the PanAfrican forum. Hopefully we will get some feedback from our Continental brothers & sisters.

3. Isaiah

Ratings:
    +62

Yeah, bruh, hopefully we can get Sisters Fanyambo, Kwango Likemba, and brother African Prince to expound on their personal experiences with African Initiations Rites... Perhaps, We could use their personal experiences in encouraging us to call them into practice again, here in the wilderness of North America...

Peace!
    Isaiah

4. African_Prince

African_Prince Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +48
    I don't know any African ritual rites, the only thing I've heard of is when Kunta was cut in Roots.

5. Black_Butterfli

Black_Butterfli Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0
    Isaiah, I am new to the group, As a matter of a fact I just stumbbled upon this today. I have just read the African Rites of Passage.

I wholeheartedly agree with initiating the Rites of Passage into the community.

6. Kwango_Likemba

Kwango_Likemba Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +11
    I need to ask my parents about our tradition before I post anything on here. We have a magical initiation and rituals for passage into adulthood. I will post about it.. I need to talk to my parents first! The elders have the knowledge!

7. Isaiah

Ratings:
    +62
    Brother Prince, that was a low blow... Thank you for contributing so magnificently to the divide between African peoples... If you're not part of the solution, you are part of the problem...

Sister Kwango, thank you for sincerly seeking to answer my query... I anxiously await your findings...

Peace!
    Isaiah

8. panafrica

panafrica Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +194
    You know brother Isaiah you asked "continential" brothers & sisters to give their feedback/knowledge on the subject. Brother African_Prince isn't really a continential African, he was born & raised in Canada (as far as I know). That probably plays a significant factor in his not being aware of African Initiation Rites. People are aware of such rites only if they are taught them or they have specifically studied about them.

9. African_Prince

African_Prince Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +48
    "Brother Prince, that was a low blow... Thank you for contributing so magnificently to the divide between African peoples... If you're not part of the solution, you are part of the problem...

Sister Kwango, thank you for sincerly seeking to answer my query... I anxiously await your findings...

Peace!
    Isaiah"

I honestly don't understand, how was that a 'low blow' . I don't know any African initiation rites ( I'm as interested as you are, ) so I said, jokingly, the only thing I know is when Kunta got cut in Roots. I don't think the Bemba of Zambia have any initiation rites but you don't want to hear this do you?

" Brother African_Prince isn't really a continential African, he was born & raised in Canada (as far as I know). That probably plays a significant factor in his not being aware of African Initiation Rites. People are aware of such rites only if they are taught them or they have specifically studied about them."

With all respect, that's a retarded and pathetic thing to say. Who cares where I was raised ( and I was born in Zambia, moved to Canada when I was 3 ) I am ethnically African. None of the Zambians I have contact with could tell you about any African initiation rites, if there even are any, unfortanatly their probably extinct because of urbanization/Westernization and you'd probably have to go to the rural areas to find out about them. In short, I'm sure not all African groups have initiation rites and if they do their probably only practiced in the rural areas and most African immigrants come from urban cities/towns.

How is my not knowing contributing to 'dividing African people'? Why have you and Isaiah taken that offensively? I didn't mean it maliciously.

10. Isaiah

Ratings:
    +62

Brother, I will accept your explanation for what you said initially, but by the same token, I did implicitly ask for input from those in the know. Pardon me for assuming that you had any clue as to what I was talking about.(smile!)

Perhaps, I did step over the line in saying that your response was divisive, but then with the levels of sensitivity some are given to, that might not be a reach considering your answer... Can we move forward, brother??? Thank you...

PEACE!~
    Isaiah