Black Christians : The 4 Pillars of Jacob

Discussion in 'Christian Study Group' started by cherryblossom, Dec 12, 2011.

1. cherryblossom

cherryblossom Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5,560
    Gen. 28:

[10] And Jacob went out from Beer-sheba, and went toward Haran.
    [11] And he lighted upon a certain place, and tarried there all night, because the sun was set; and he took of the stones of that place, and put them for his pillows, and lay down in that place to sleep.
    [12] And he dreamed, and behold a ladder set up on the earth, and the top of it reached to heaven: and behold the angels of God ascending and descending on it.
    [13] And, behold, the LORD stood above it, and said, I am the LORD God of Abraham thy father, and the God of Isaac: the land whereon thou liest, to thee will I give it, and to thy seed;
    [14] And thy seed shall be as the dust of the earth, and thou shalt spread abroad to the west, and to the east, and to the north, and to the south: and in thee and in thy seed shall all the families of the earth be blessed.
    [15] And, behold, I am with thee, and will keep thee in all places whither thou goest, and will bring thee again into this land; for I will not leave thee, until I have done that which I have spoken to thee of.
    [16] And Jacob awaked out of his sleep, and he said, Surely the LORD is in this place; and I knew it not.
    [17] And he was afraid, and said, How dreadful is this place! this is none other but the house of God, and this is the gate of heaven.
    [18] And Jacob rose up early in the morning, and took the stone that he had put for his pillows, and set it up for a pillar, and poured oil upon the top of it.
    [19] And he called the name of that place Bethel: but the name of that city was called Luz at the first.
    [20] And Jacob vowed a vow, saying, If God will be with me, and will keep me in this way that I go, and will give me bread to eat, and raiment to put on,
    [21] So that I come again to my father's house in peace; then shall the LORD be my God:

2. cherryblossom

Ratings:
    +5,560
    ....Pillar in the Scripture always
    stands for “a testimony, a witness,
    something that is set up, visible,
    to be seen.”

The first mentioning of pillar in the Bible is in Genesis
    19. As Lot’s wife looked back to
    the city of Sodom, she turned into
    a pillar of salt. It is a negative
    testimony, a testimony to those
    who are the Lord’s and yet linger
    after the world.

When God took the children of
    Israel out of Egypt, He led them
    through the wilderness by the
    pillar of fire and of the cloud. In
    other words, if we put it into New
    Testament terms, it is the Holy
    Spirit who dwells in us and leads
    our way through the wilderness
    according to the testimony of
    Jesus....

...THE PILLAR OF SPIRITUAL
    AWAKENING

Jacob’s religion was traditional. He aspired for spiritual
    things, but he did not know God.

All he knew was human ways,
    and because of that he was
    severely disciplined by God. God
    had to use drastic means to wake
    him up out of his complacency,
    out of his traditional religion, to
    have a personal encounter with
    God. That makes all the
    difference!

The gate of heaven means
    “revelation.” When the gate of
    heaven is open, then revelation is
    given. Through the revelation
    from above, Jacob saw God. He
    heard God. He had a personal
    experience of God. The gate of
    heaven is also the house of God
    because revelation always leads
    us to God’s house....

...At that time Jacob understood
    very little. God promised him a
    great deal, but all he saw was a
    very little. God promised to give
    the land to him, promised to make
    his seed as the sand of the
    seashore, promised to lead him
    back to his house to inherit the
    land.

But all Jacob asked of God
    was clothing, shelter, safety, to
    come back, and he even bargained
    with God. God promised him
    without any conditions. God said,
    “I will do this for you, I will do
    that for you.” But Jacob could not
    understand anything that is of free
    grace because that was not in his
    dictionary. He could not think of
    free grace, so he started to bargain
    with God and said, “Now God, if
    you will just give me this little,
    then I will make You my God...

..This pillar of awakening was a
    beginning, the beginning of a
    spiritual life. He poured oil on it.
    When oil is poured on anything it
    means that it is being sanctified; it
    is being set apart for God.....http://www.thechurchesinafrica.com/files/Christ_in_Genesis_Jacob_s_Pillars.pdf

3. cherryblossom

Ratings:
    +5,560
    Gen. 31:

[41] Thus have I been twenty years in thy house; I served thee fourteen years for thy two daughters, and six years for thy cattle: and thou hast changed my wages ten times.
    [42] Except the God of my father, the God of Abraham, and the fear of Isaac, had been with me, surely thou hadst sent me away now empty. God hath seen mine affliction and the labour of my hands, and rebuked thee yesternight.
    [43] And Laban answered and said unto Jacob, These daughters are my daughters, and these children are my children, and these cattle are my cattle, and all that thou seest is mine: and what can I do this day unto these my daughters, or unto their children which they have born?
    [44] Now therefore come thou, let us make a covenant, I and thou; and let it be for a witness between me and thee.
    [45] And Jacob took a stone, and set it up for a pillar.
    [46] And Jacob said unto his brethren, Gather stones; and they took stones, and made an heap: and they did eat there upon the heap.
    [47] And Laban called it Jegar-sahadutha: but Jacob called it Galeed.
    [48] And Laban said, This heap is a witness between me and thee this day. Therefore was the name of it called Galeed;
    [49] And Mizpah; for he said, The LORD watch between me and thee, when we are absent one from another.
    [50] If thou shalt afflict my daughters, or if thou shalt take other wives beside my daughters, no man is with us; see, God is witness betwixt me and thee.
    [51] And Laban said to Jacob, Behold this heap, and behold this pillar, which I have cast betwixt me and thee;
    [52] This heap be witness, and this pillar be witness, that I will not pass over this heap to thee, and that thou shalt not pass over this heap and this pillar unto me, for harm.
    [53] The God of Abraham, and the God of Nahor, the God of their father, judge betwixt us. And Jacob sware by the fear of his father Isaac.
    [54] Then Jacob offered sacrifice upon the mount, and called his brethren to eat bread: and they did eat bread, and tarried all night in the mount.
    [55] And early in the morning Laban rose up, and kissed his sons and his daughters, and blessed them: and Laban departed, and returned unto his place

4. cherryblossom

Ratings:
    +5,560
    ...This is the second of the four pillars set up by Jacob as spiritual landmarks in his life and experience. It would appear that in this transaction there were both a heap of stones and a pillar, the former being made by Laban while it was Jacob who set up a stone for a pillar. This is the pillar of separation - "Mizpah."

In certain circles and in an age more sentimental than our own, people employed the word "Mizpah" to speak of the watchfulness of the Lord between absent friends, to express their devotion to one another during their absence, and their prayer that the Lord would soon bring them together once again. This is certainly not what Jacob meant. He had no intention of returning. This separation was final and irrevocable; that was the declaration which Jacob made in setting up his pillar, and that fact was also recognised by Laban. This was the end. They were finished with one another for ever.

The word separation will probably mean different things to different people. It speaks, of course, of the need for a distinct understanding with the world as to where we stand with regard to Christ - that we are on the Lord's side. It means, however, more than that, for separation from the world must pass from the general sense into every realm which has an element of compromise in it. But it must go deeper than that. There is a whole world of natural life which is as alien to our spiritual being as was Laban to Jacob. This is not so much a matter of external separation as of a clear division in the very person of the believer. One life must be separated from the other, and the pillar of testimony declares our acceptance of this clear demarcation....

....http://www.unveiling.org/Articles/pillars2.html