Black Spirituality Religion : ***THAT WHICH DOES NOT KILL YOU....***

river said:

Namaste Samurai.

The Ancient Mystics always talk about not having any attachments. While I KNOW it's a trying time, think of it as a fresh start over. Cleansing fire it was, yes. :devil:

I was wracking my apt. and phone book to look for a lawyer to handle my landlord situation for the past few days. Your situation prompted Sister River to post that link which is what I needed all along. SYNCHRONICITY! Nothing is ever lost...

AAAUUUMMM

True Indeed!!

Though it hasn't been easy, I have been striving to maintain this perspective throughout this entire ordeal.

I've been drawing heavily upon my various spiritual disciplines to keep my spirit elevated.

Thanx to you all for all of the info and insight that you've supplied. If you happen to have any more info or wisdom that I could use, please feel free to share it--I'm all (3rd) ears!!

PEACE

AUM said:
Namaste Samurai.

The Ancient Mystics always talk about not having any attachments. While I KNOW it's a trying time, think of it as a fresh start over. Cleansing fire it was, yes. :devil:

I was wracking my apt. and phone book to look for a lawyer to handle my landlord situation for the past few days. Your situation prompted Sister River to post that link which is what I needed all along. SYNCHRONICITY! Nothing is ever lost...

AAAUUUMMM
Send a blessing to one person and help somebody else. Nothing wrong with that.

These are the articles about the fire that I just went through:

Fire destroys apartment building
Royal Oaks blaze leaves residents homeless; five parakeets perish
Byline BY ERIC OLSON eolson@heraldsun.com; 419-6647
Content Date 4/7/2005
Body Text Dense black smoke muddied the bright sunshine Wednesday afternoon as residents of 19 apartment units helplessly watched flames destroy their building at the Royal Oaks Apartments.
"It's scary," said Christine Mayenzanise, a resident who consoled her crying 3-year-old son, Benson, in a common area near the blaze. "I lost everything -- my pictures of my kids from birth to this time, their clothes, their toys -- everything I had."
No injuries were reported, and Durham fire officials said they believed nobody was trapped inside Building No. 8 of the apartment complex on Weymouth Street between Shannon and Academy roads not far from the former South Square Mall area.
One resident said he and his fiancée lost their five parakeets.
Mayenzanise, a South Africa native who has lived in the same building since her family moved to Durham about six years ago, fought her own tears as firefighters battled flames that gutted the three-story brick building and sent waves of heat as far as 300 feet away.
At one point, a small explosion sounded inside the building, sending dozens of onlookers scurrying backward.
Workers from nearby restaurants and office buildings gathered outside to watch the flames shoot high into the air. The smoke could be seen for miles, and wind carried the scent of the fire far across town.
Exactly what caused the blaze won't be known until today at the earliest, said Durham Assistant Fire Marshal Eddie Reid. A firewall that separates the building into two sections was no match for the intensity of the flames.
"It appears that the fire came outside the building, went around the firewall and went back inside the building," Reid said.
The firewall remained standing as darkness fell, but the center of the building was burned to the ground.
"It's a total loss," Reid said.
Firefighters responded to the call around 5:10 p.m., Reid said, and had the fire under control within 45 minutes. But crews still worked into the night to extinguish hot spots and ensure the flames didn't erupt again.
Kimberly Riddick said she was at home when she heard the fire alarm sound.
"I just opened the door and saw the whole hall was filled with smoke," she said. "I just grabbed my keys and ran."
Her fiancé, Latrell Williams, rushed home from work after he got a message from Riddick.
"I'm just glad she got out," said Williams, who said their five parakeets were still inside their apartment. "It's funny how your whole life can change in a matter of hours."
Capricia Cypress, 35, said she also heard the alarm but assumed it was children playing with the switch.
"Then my 16-year-old looked out the door and saw the smoke," said Cypress, who left in her stocking feet. "We came downstairs and watched everything burn."
Christopher Shrewsberry, associate director of emergency services for the local chapter of the American Red Cross, said the apartment management was working Wednesday night to find as many vacant apartments for the fire victims as possible.
"For those that don't get an apartment, we're going to get a hotel for those folks," he said. "We'll also offer financial assistance for everyone for clothing and food. We're looking at spending the entire monthly budget right here tonight."
Anyone interested in helping the fire victims can donate to the local chapter of the Red Cross, Shrewsberry said.

Caption THE HERALD-SUN | CHRISTINE T. NGUYEN
Watching flames consume an apartment building at Royal Oaks, not far from the former South Square Mall, are cousins (from left) Harris Khan, 6; Nabiha Khan, 13; Ebrahim Khan, 8; and Nabil Khan, 12. The Khans did not live in the burned apartment building.

Tia Vick (right) comforts her friend, Capricia Cypress, as firefighters work to put out a fire at Royal Oaks Wednesday. Cypress' apartment was one of 19 that were gutted.

Electric cord cited in fire that displaced 79
Byline BY ERIC OLSON eolson@heraldsun.com; 419-6647
Content Date 4/8/2005
Body Text An overloaded extension cord caused a fire that destroyed 19 apartments and displaced 79 residents Wednesday evening, Durham fire investigators said Thursday.
"It's an accidental fire," Durham Assistant Fire Marshal Eddie Reid said. "There was no intent."
The city housing department, meanwhile, condemned the building on Thursday, although apartment management allowed tenants five minutes to retrieve whatever they could salvage.
The local chapter of the American Red Cross spent roughly $12,000 to help the victims Wednesday night.
A woman in Apt. 106 of the destroyed Royal Oaks Apartments building told fire investigators that she had an extension cord powering a television, a video game console, a computer and a lamp in a bedroom.
When her circuit breaker tripped around 5 p.m., the woman said she flipped the breaker switch several times trying to reset it, Reid said.
"All of a sudden, she heard a pop come from the circuit box," Reid said. "She went back to the bedroom and saw a spark coming from that outlet. The next thing they knew, the bed was on fire."
The woman was home with her three children and another woman, Reid said. While she called 911, they tried unsuccessfully to extinguish the flames.
Reid said the complex at 3554 Weymouth St. was built more than 30 years ago. But he said the building was constructed to fire code at the time.
"If it tripped the breaker, then the breaker did its job," Reid said. "But by forcing it back and forth, it appears it caused a short somewhere in the line, up to and including the extension cord."
The resulting fire burned for nearly an hour Wednesday night before firefighters managed to get it under control. Crews continued to battle hot spots into the night.
The flames also damaged a telephone line, which caused sporadic service to tenants in surrounding buildings.
On Thursday, a Verizon crew was running a new telephone line while residents salvaged what they could.
Shahiym Muhammad walked out the balcony door of his apartment carrying a single white box of belongings. The box contained a scattered array of wall art, compact discs and photographs.
"There's not much in there," he said. "There's not much worth taking."
Muhammad said he allowed his renters insurance to lapse because he planned to move next month after five years at the complex. He said all of his important documents burned in the fire.
"I've never felt this way before. But I know things like this happen," he said. "I plan on getting a metal lock box now. I should have thought ahead on that. You live and you learn, I guess."
Muhammad was one of eight people who were relocated within the complex.
The American Red Cross paid to relocate 10 other families to nearby motels, said Lynn Sherrill, the local Red Cross chapter manager.
One additional family was out of town at the time of the blaze, said Sherrill, but help will be provided upon their return, if needed. None had renters insurance, she noted.
She said she believes at least one of the victims works for Boston Market, which provided food to firefighters, other emergency workers and victims.
The Red Cross now gives disaster victims "client assistance cards" -- pre-loaded debit cards that can be used in stores and restaurants, although they can't be used for buying some kinds of goods, such as tobacco and alcohol. Sherrill said her agency spends an average of $600 to $700 per family after a fire. "That prevents many of these folks from becoming homeless," she said.
"We committed to or spent $12,000 [Wednesday] night," Sherrill said, "and with additional casework we anticipate giving $9,000 to $10,000 in additional specific assistance. That can be anything from paying for medications to helping with the first month's rent in a comparable housing unit. Since this was the sixth of the month, many of the victims had already paid this month's rent and didn't have the money to rent something else."
Sherrill pleaded with area residents to send money to help the Red Cross chapter through an unusual spate of fire losses. "Our fiscal year runs July 1 through June 30," she said, "and this year we've already responded to 101 fires affecting 530 individuals in Durham, Granville, Person and Vance counties. With the $12,000 [Wednesday] night, plus the $10,000 we anticipate spending this weekend, we will have spent $82,402 already. And I'm sad to say that our budget for the entire year for specific aid was only $62,000. So we're more than $20,000 in the hole already, with three months left in the year."
Capt. Mark Jacobs, head of the Salvation Army unit covering Durham, Orange and Person counties, said his organization stands ready to help. He said the Thrift Store at 124 Latta Road can provide used clothing, furnishings and other items to help people get back on their feet.
"We try to work with other agencies such as the Red Cross to make sure there's not a duplication of effort," he said. Even a family that's been burned out doesn't need two sets of living room furniture. But where one agency stops, the other can pick up. We try to be efficient stewards."
The apartment management is also accepting donations of clothing and furniture, and Thomas Allen, of Raleigh, is doing what he can to help.
Allen, who runs a transportation service for the elderly and disabled, said he has been helping cancer patients and fire victims for 26 years.
"I really wanted to help these people all I could," said Allen, who already has collected clothing and cooking utensils.
"I would personally hope that a lot of people will respond to me helping them, you know, civic groups and individuals," he added. "I would gladly go to Durham, Orange County, to pick up things. I think a lot of people would like to respond but don't know where to go."
Allen asks anyone who wants to donate to call him at 834-7831, or to send donations to 507 E. Martin St., Apt. G, Raleigh, NC 27601, or P.O. Box 28841, Raleigh, NC 27611.

HOW TO DONATE:

American Red Cross, Central NC Chapter, P.O. Box 52509, Durham NC 27717. More information is available from Lynn Sherrill, chapter manager, at 489-6541.
Salvation Army, P.O. Box 1330, Durham NC 27702. More information is available from Captain Mark Jacobs at 688-7306.

Caption THE HERALD-SUN | BERNARD THOMAS
Antonio Mesa looks for anything he can salvage in what's left of his apartment Thursday after a fire destroyed several units at the Royal Oaks Apartments Wednesday.

THE HERALD-SUN | BERNARD THOMAS
Royal Oaks residents retrieve what's left of their belongings from the apartment building Thursday. The building was destroyed in a blaze Wednesday.

Shahiym Muhammad walked out the balcony door of his apartment carrying a single white box of belongings. The box contained a scattered array of wall art, compact discs and photographs.
"There's not much in there," he said. "There's not much worth taking."
Muhammad said he allowed his renters insurance to lapse because he planned to move next month after five years at the complex. He said all of his important documents burned in the fire.

Is this you?

If the lady in apartment 106 had insurance, you can sue her, for personal property loss. Take her to smalls if nothing else. The limit is five thousand. She was negligent.

http://www.aoc.state.nc.us/magistrate/small_claims.htm

If you are the plaintiff, YOU must prove in court:

why the defendant owes you money and the amount owed:

==================
A woman in Apt. 106 of the destroyed Royal Oaks Apartments building told fire investigators that she had an extension cord powering a television, a video game console, a computer and a lamp in a bedroom.When her circuit breaker tripped around 5 p.m., the woman said she flipped the breaker switch several times trying to reset it, Reid said.
"All of a sudden, she heard a pop come from the circuit box," Reid said. "She went back to the bedroom and saw a spark coming from that outlet. The next thing they knew, the bed was on fire."

The woman was home with her three children and another woman, Reid said. While she called 911, they tried unsuccessfully to extinguish the flames.
Reid said the complex at 3554 Weymouth St. was built more than 30 years ago. But he said the building was constructed to fire code at the time.

"If it tripped the breaker, then the breaker did its job," Reid said. "But by forcing it back and forth, it appears it caused a short somewhere in the line, up to and including the extension cord."

You can feel sorry for her, but the complex will sue her insurance company if she had some coverage. Will sue her personally if she didn't. On her policy her carries insurance to cover her from injury she causes another. If not go for the small claims amount.

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on $$RICH$$'s profile.
$$RUCH. SO COOL.VBRO. WHAT MY bornday. Again. Destee. June. U didn't call. Phone me. I'm loosingbit. In my dopamine euphoria. None stop. I send my new pic. Noylt. Me. That guy. Wears 1x. I wear.b3x. Ok love Destee Fam. Errors I don't care ok. Love
Destee wrote on MANASIAC's profile.
I saw you ... :yaay: ... Welcome Home! ... :flowers:
Back